Skip to content

Adams Park capacity increase

Comments

• Unless Mill End Rd School, or whatever they are now called, want to sell off their playing fields I really can't see anywhere beyond Little Marlow - much as I'd like to build it on either Kingsmead or the Cricket ground.

There either isn't the space or the location is no better than AP. If you go away from the town centre to improve access you need a large amount of car parking space.

• Millbrook?

That park behind them isn't their grounds is it? And you surely couldn't get a ground in that park?

• Implement a proper public transport system and no new ground should have a car park beyond disabled parking really

• Little Marlow it is then...

• edited July 2022

I can't imagine there's any limit to how long a chairlift can be?

• We really do need to start re-imagining town/city centres both in terms of increasing residential accommodation above retail/office premises as well as enhancing the social & leisure offering.

Putting a 12,500 all seater stadium close to the centre of town should not be considere daft any more, the traffic is dealt with by providing electric shuttle buses to & from park & ride near the motorway junctions, coupled with the relative proximity to the station.

The question of a flood plain is interesting as there is no reason not to build it raised above the high water mark, perhaps "on stilts" the space under the stadium can be used for many things or left as a "sacrificial space" when the river floods. Regarding concrete FGRFC managed to build an "eco-stadium" which limited its use of concrete, employed "green" energy etc. so being an examplar to the wider community is not out of the question either

• FGR's new ground is an interesting one. Isn't it mostly made out of wood? I didn't think that was allowed after the Bradford fire?

• Although there are still plenty of wooden stands about, not sure how they were made fireproof?

• I assume there must be some kind of fire retardant coating?

I am not sure about all this stadium fuss anyway. I have it on good authority that by 2025 we will all be wearing Virtual Reality headsets and only our holograms will be needed for the sake of the stadium looking full.

• All this thread has done is illustrate how unlikely it is that we'll ever find room for a new stadium in High Wycombe.

Luckily AP is perfect for us.

• I've told you, nationalise private school grounds and build it at Wycombe Abbey.

The oligarchs' daughters can have their lacrosse tournaments elsewhere

• Next to the Police Station & opposition the council offices

• Only slightly less unlikely than a wooden stadium on The Rye served exclusively by electric busses.

• Watch your old FA Trophy winning videos and it's where the players greeted the crowds after the open top bus parade

• That’s definitely not the civic hall?

• Oh yeah, I think you're right

• The town hall is next to the police station, backing onto the swan. I always thought across the road was just council offices

• Dale Vince preaches about being green and I’m sure the new stadium will lead the way in its green credentials but he needs to practise what he preaches rather than building on a huge swathe of green belt land.

• edited July 2022

Is it green belt land? Can't see anything to suggest that, only that it's just outside of a protected area.

You can be absolutely certain it'll be the most environmentally sensitive stadium ever built as will the housing that replaces the old ground. It's also seems to be set in a big new massive park with a fair chunk of new parkland, trees etc.

Not sure why people are desperate to find hypocrisy whenever anyone does anything vaguely worthwhile.

• Most of the land in and around the West side of Wycombe is owned by the Dashwood family and they can veto / change the plans for all developments happening on their land (even if its been sold to developers).

I know this as my mum had a big input (as a governer) into a new school being built and the plans had to be changed last minute so that Dashwood wouldn't see the school for one of the windows in his house.

The access road, either A or B, will have to be built across their land so until Rob & the club have it in writing that an access road's route and plans can't be changed, I'll start believing it. However as nothing has been submittd or shared in the public domain, I'm not going to get excited about it just yet

• I applaud the stadium and will be the first to visit but by what I e been told by family in Bristol it’s all on green belt

• Dashwood would permit an access road on his land if it could also be developed for housing which current regulation does not permit. Catch 22.

• edited July 2022

This is worth a look https://urbanistarchitecture.co.uk/green-belt-map/ shows the ground hemmed in by green belt land as is most of High Wycombe

• Feels to me like we’re long overdue some kind of revolution to get rid of this Dashwood character.

• Anyway, talking capacity, how many double decker busses can you get into Adams Park?

• None, unless you're prepared to ruin the playing surface.

• They'd never get through the turnstiles....