Skip to content

Realistic Signing(s) for the Summer

Comments

• He got kidnapped by Sandinistas and held captive in the jungle while they waited for someone to pay the ransom, but we had a whip round and paid them more money to just keep him.

• I assumed the cheeky dastard was referring to me, not you 😂

• edited June 2022

Who know's! @Malone

🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

• Great news to have GA for at least another three seasons. I thought it was pretty obvious the SSN presenter had been briefed to expect a player signing tho!

• @Otter87 if you are ever baffled by the occasional (but regular) comments on here about ‘Ruth’, this is all due to our sadly mislaid ex-poster on here Richie (and other names as well I seem to remember).

(My memory can’t actually who the ‘Ruth’ that was going to save us was all about though)

Richie was “in the know*” and would regularly entertain us with his (we assumed) insider knowledge of who was about to sign, who was injured, who had fallen out with who, etc.

A loss to the entertainment on here when he threw his toys out of his pram for the final time never to be seen ago.

*in the interest of accuracy if you add the word ‘nothing’ you will gain a full understanding of the quality of information he brought to the debate.

• Apologies if I misinterpreted your question, but you didn’t ask if there was any more news to come, you said ‘is this as big as the day gets?’ which I read (seemingly incorrectly) as meaning that you didn’t think Gaz’s announcement was a big deal.

• Alan

i hope Gareth stays for many years but honestly if all that has changed today can be summarised as “Gareth was contracted until 2024 but we would release him early if he wants to go to another club but is now contracted until 2025 but we would release him early if he wants to go to another club” , that doesn’t feel that big a deal??

Have I misunderstood something?

• I heard that as a result of his outstanding performance in our club shop Richie had been poached by Mike Ashley and is currently Head of Retail Operations at Sports Direct.

• I get your drift but rumours of new signings being announced were just that-rumours. At no point did anyone at the club suggest that new arrivals were imminent and about to be revealed, it was simply a case of people jumping to the conclusion that this is what the Sky interview was about. As Gareth himself stressed, new signings are in the pipeline but the deals have yet to be finalised. Our first game is still a month away.

• edited June 2022

Nice one @mooneyman !

@bookertease : wasn’t ‘Ruth’ a striker called Scott Rendell? Or was was it Alex? Both had already been at Adams Park and Alex in particular was scoring fairly freely at subsequent clubs. But we waited patiently for months (typical Wycombe) for him to recover from a knee injury, only for him to move on as soon as he was fit. @Chas_Harps will probably be able to confirm.

• I notice in the gallery of training pictures Rob C's open letter telling the team to smile at all times to improve the fan experience has proven effective.

• Agreed Alan

Signings will no doubt follow in due course. It would have been nice if today but not the end of world. Similarly Gareth’s extension is nice but not THAT exciting.

On Mawson, it would be wonderful if it were possible to bring back the player he was all those years ago. But must be doubt whether he could now live up to those standards. Would be a shame to see his legacy tarnished.

Trying to think of a returning ex player who did enhance his reputation in his second spell - Stewart and arguably McCarthy qualify - any more?

• We never really found out...as the boy richie got very angry when anyone asked.

• Gareth Ainsworth signing a contract extension is the most exciting news we could possibly have had.

I'm over the moon. Best news all summer

• Surely logistically there is no way Sky would send a camera to Marlow Rd just to reveal Gaz extends stay? The tone of the interviewers question and the sheepish look on Gaz’s face suggests they had been given the heads up for something more?

• At a time when there is no football being played Sky sports news are always looking for newsworthy material. They hold our club and our manager in high regard so why wouldn’t they regard his new deal as a story worth covering? Methinks you are reading too much into this.

• I'm sure we've been on SSN for less significant news

• Sounds to me that is exactly what has happened but Sky went with it and its all good publicity. Wonder how many other managers contract extensions have been announced like this?

• Let’s face it we don’t have the spaces in the squad for half a dozen incomings so what did we expect?

GA staying is of course great news. But we also all know that if a suitable offer came in that he fancied and the club could be compensated he would be gone.

Is Matt Bloomfield still part of the coaching team?

• Is GA signing a contract extension really that big news?

I don’t see what difference it makes really, other than increasing the amount of compensation that we would be entitled to.

If a suitable job came up tomorrow and he was offered it I’m sure he would be off, and I would not begrudge him one bit as it would be well earned.

• edited June 2022

I agree @perfidious_albion. I thumbed up @eric_plant’s post as I too think the contract extension augurs well although it’s potentially as beneficial to GA of course as it is to the club, fans and owners and is no guarantee that he won’t move on sooner than summer 2025.

I’m slightly less excited than Eric therefore but, more to the point, it’s probably of no consequence at all to the vast majority of Sky Sports News viewers and I’m sure the expectation was news of a couple of players with recent experience of even bigger clubs.

• Be careful @micra with all these thumbs up as "texting thumb" is becoming a common condition!

• I bet the EFL are relieved Bernie Ecclestone does not own a league club...

• Would you sign an extension in a job you weren't happy with? It's positive, means he's happy with the plan and those around him. Not much more admittedly.

• I bet the EFL are relieved Bernie Ecclestone does not presently own a league club...

• Wycombe are a great club to send a camera crew to - promotes the new EFL season, which will be shown on Sky, and is relatively close to Isleworth so a short journey for the staff.

• All too good to be true really. Good work from everyone to get us on the TV.

Wonder if Sky will remember how close we are when live games are up for grabs.