Skip to content

Realistic Signing(s) for the Summer

Comments

• It's the same as it was under Martin O'Neill. We coped with the losses of plenty of top players when he was manager, but kept making progress.

When he left? Well, let's not go there and ruin everyone's friday

• Of course it goes without saying it’s excellent news Gaz extends his stay for all the obvious reasons stated, but not exactly ‘breaking news let’s go straight over to Marlow Road’ level news.

What the reaction and anticipation to hearing Sky were attending and broadcasting live tells us about our fan base is just how high expectations now are.

Play offs, Voakes, automatics, Championship, best in class sound system, working wi-fi, bog paper in the loos, car park sales going viral! This is the level the expanded fan base is now used to, so no wonder expectation of Sky cameras attendance was literally ‘Sky high’.

As the club moves to the next level a key task for the owners is now to manage expectations amongst fans. It is going to be very interesting to observe the vibe between now and the World Cup break.

• I’ve checked it out and can assure people that, despite the conspiracy theories, there was no suggestion that Sky thought we were about to announce new signings on Thursday. In fact, they asked to visit the training ground with a request to interview Gareth about the new season.

• I guess it is not beyond reason that they find Gareth engaging and entertaining compared to a lot of the vanilla managers that there are out there. Again people, you never appreciate what you have until it's gone. And I doubt if we will ever get another Gareth Ainsworth

• Some what belittling to describe fans reactions as ‘conspiracy theories’. More like genuine hope, excitement, anticipation, call it what you will, with what followed perceived as ultimately underwhelming.

The club could have managed those expectations better. We are after all no longer ‘little Wycombe’ grateful for any coverage we can muster.

• Sky news is 24 hours and has a lot of air to fill. Five or six minutes with someone articulate when there is little football news about is not to be sniffed at. Great news about Gareth for all the reasons given above. The idea that Sky used resources and only went to Marlow because we had signed Alfie or anyone else of that ilk is also wide of the mark. Unless it was Gareth Bale. More likely 'we're here anyway anything interesting to say to fill some dead air?' 'I've just signed an extension...' 'That'll do...three - two -one...'

• Fans have reason to have expectation now. We’re established at the top end of league one.

We’ve got some seriously high profile players compared to five years ago, let alone ten.

The owners will want to see a return on their (clearly significant) investment.

We can’t be far off doubling our wage bill of the pre-Couhig era. We might even have doubled it already.

The last time Sky came to Wycombe in pre-season was when Vokes was announced, so it’s not exactly delusional for Wycombe fans to consider the likelihood of a Mawson / similar profile signing.

• Going back to the topic of the chat / channel. With today being the 1st July, do you think that we'll announce any signings today as it'll be technically their first day starting today (if the contract was pre-arranged)?

• Two things that can be simultaneously true:

1. Wycombe fans are delighted that GA has extended his contract and realise how important he is to the club.

2. Wycombe fans are disappointed not to have seen Alfie Mawson being unveiled as our superstar signing, in a summer that's been pretty much bereft of news so far.

• Can't we all just agree to blame @Malone for making everyone think we would be unveiling some £20m player?

• I think the club will be keen to announce Bishop if that is tied up now.

Ainsworth soundbites suggest we’re in the mix for some top loanees this season to flesh out the squad - let’s not forget this season sees the move to five subs permitted per game, so we need more depth than usual.

Perhaps we’ll see a deal for someone that’s gone completely under the radar. Perhaps we’ll see the announcement of some development squad signings. We have to be all over Reading U23s with the state they are in ….. surely

• any ihew4d any update on the horgan contract side ?

• While I understand that the club didn't want to confirm any transfers before the player's contract had finished but it seems as though there aren't any barriers to confirm any deals or transfers.

• His contract was already extended straight after the play-offs as the club used the automatic extension feature written into his contract when he signed. He'll be out of contract next summer

• I notice that the BBC, BT, The Athletic and 4-4-2 magazine have all run the story about GA extending his contract on their websites.

• I was very disappointed that Sky weren't there for the announcement of the first phase of the Chairlift.

• edited July 2022

Gonna ruin the magic by saying that'll be automatic via a PA feed apart from The Athletic

• I totally agree, @Last_Quarter I think the issue is that some Gasroomers were of the opinion that Sky had only travelled to the Chair Metropolis see an injury ravaged former Chairboy restarting his career by being dramatically unveiled as our latest L1 signing, but as it had all fallen through or the club had ****ed it all up, had to make do with poor old Gareth bumbling on about a contract extension to his contract extension.

• I am probably in a minority of one, but I dont understand the fascination with an injury ravaged Mawson. I appreciate he was a very good player with significant potential, however his injury record over the last few years has put paid to that and with the number of games we have I consider the risk of breakdown far outweighs any upside - but that is just me i suppose

• Who are we signing today @Malone?

• Called the big day the other day.

Afraid today is just a small day.

• Seeing Forino wearing the 5 shirt, Wing the 10 and Mehmeti the 11 has made my day. (Have a feeling Anis wore the 11 last season, actually.).

Loved the interview with Jack the lad and Forino’s interjection.

Sorry, @Erroll_Sims, the minority is at least 2. You’re not alone.

• Also, Anis had 19 last season and Wing 11