Skip to content

Anthony Stewart to Aberdeen?

Comments

• Good luck Tools and thanks for the memories. Big, big part of our success over the years and at his best a pleasure to watch. Defending as an art.

This summer does feel a bit like the end of a chapter. Inevitable probably with Bayo retiring but compounded by recent events.

let’s see what twists await us in the next chapter…

• He will shine against the likes of Alex Samuel. Cold weather, no trophies and league 2 standard apart from Rangers and Celtic. Not a step up quality wise. Thought he would go the championship but he must have his reasons.

• edited June 2022

Not really a step up, but it's at least L1 standard! Plus he'll prob earn a smidge more and there's always the possibility of European football. Fair play to him.

• Micky Mouse league apart from Celtic and Rangers. Certainly not a step up but probably earning more money. Footballers at this level do not earn enough to retire and do nothing in the future, so you cannot blaim him. Stocko, Tools and Bayo leaving has left some big gaps in the squad. Will be interesting to see who replace them.

• You wonder what he would have been posting under Sanchez when both Bates and Devine went!

• edited June 2022

Forino will replace Stewart. Keeper shouldn’t be difficult. Goalscorer will (but don’t rule out Mehmeti in that role). But I agree with @bookertease . It does feel a bit like the end of a chapter.

• Stewart is and has been a match winner for us, truly imperious at times in the way few league 1 defenders are.

Don’t blame him for moving on at this stage of his career, I think people are underestimating the difference in likely offers between Wycombe and Aberdeen. They’re still a huge club, and at his age it’s a good chance to maximise his earnings.

We’ll miss him more than some people make out here. Forino will probably step up and be a weekly starter, but he’s still a young pro who’s learning himself, so we’ll miss Anthony’s knack of turning up for the big occasion.

I think we’ll still be waiting a while for any business, it still feels very early in the off season, but a bit of a blow with two rocks of last season departing.

• There's no panic just yet.

Keeper aside we could comfortably start the season with what we have.

Should start to hear some contract renewals soon though as we must be back in training next week with the earlier season start date.

• Good luck, Anthony - you were terrific for us; will never forget the Oxford final.

• Sad day for the club defo one of my favourite players, think we messed up letting his contract run down should have been sorted the same time as Taff, Wheeler and Mcleary. To get a player of Stewarts quality for free is a great bit of buisness for Aberdeen.

• Did we let it run down @Aok84 or did he not want to stay/accept the offer made? Time to say good luck Anthony and wait to see what the future brings.

• A consistently very good player, it was always reassuring to see Stewart's name on the teamsheet and I'm sure his calmness and reliability allowed teammates to feel much more relaxed when venturing forward.

But footballers move on, regeneration is good for the team and makes things more exciting for fans. I'm excited to see who we bring in to replace him, and Forino will hopefully grab the opportunity to step up and cement his place in a partnership with Tafazolli.

• Fantastic servant to the club, formidable defensive partnerships down the years and one of the best performances I've ever witnessed over the course of the season in 19/20.

I wish him all the best for the future, particularly at my second team! My Grandmother was born and raised in Aberdeen, I'm hoping to go up there soon and will now have a chance to watch him at Pittodrie.

He will be dearly missed.

Gaz and Dobbo have a brilliant but ageing squad, so whilst Bayo, Stockdale and Stewart have been imperious over the last couple of seasons it does give us a chance to look to bring the average age down a little. Although I do concede that it maybe difficult to replace with the same quality that those three delivered week on week immediately.

One thing that all clubs struggle with, is a brilliant starting XI that has a high average age. These three moving on may help us to have to only replace two or three at a time, rather than 6 or 7 in one close season. Every cloud and all that.

I'm absolutely certain Gaz & Dobbo will find equal if not better replacements, though they may be a little raw this season!

• I always think it's very lazy when people write of Scottish football "apart from Celtic and Rangers". They are both huge football clubs, in terms of support they're much bigger than the vast majority of English Premier League sides. It's crazy though to dismiss the likes of Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs, Dundee Utd. Aberdeen especially are a big club, with a great pedigree. Yes, it's a shame to see Stewart move on, but this is a big move for him and a definite step up from League 1 football. He'll be in the top tier, playing in front of much larger crowds, more money and competing for European football. Bit of a no brainer for a player of his age.

• Perfectly articulated, I feel particularly deflated by this one. Thank you and good luck Anthony.

• Strip out Celtic and Rangers and I'd wager the average attendance in the Scottish Prem is lower than L1, but I'm gonna have to find out now...

• @ReturnToSenda True there are some small clubs in the top flight, but Hearts and Hibs I believe sell out most games (appreciate that they both have stadiums that hold less than 20k) and Aberdeen are also well supported and usually get around 15k and I think have a new stadium due to open next year. Going back a long way, but Aberdeen were a real force not just in Scottish football, but also European football back in the 80's. Plenty of pedigree there! Probably the Scottish equivalent of Nottingham Forest.

• In the cold light of day this really does feel like the end of an era. Perhaps we all took Tools for granted like he was part of the furniture.

In the wise words of Joni Mitchell “you don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone”.

• edited June 2022

Fun fact about Aberdeen's current home, Pittodrie: it loosely translates from Gaelic as 'shit heap'.

• Completely agree with you and @NewburyWanderer, @perfidious_albion .

• So, according to Transfermarkt, Aberdeen averaged 11,005 last season (Wycombe 5,662) - average for Scottish Prem 12,000 with Celtic and Rangers, League One 10,023.

• You can't qualify for the Champions League from League 1 though!

• Oh wow! I thought Aberdeen got bigger crowds than that. Certainly though that as well as Celtic / Rangers weighting the average crowd heavily upwards, there's a few very small clubs, who get low crowds that weight it all downwards, with the likes of Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen in the middle.

• This is true - although you can't do that from the Scottish Prem either if you're not Celtic or Rangers!

• edited June 2022

I'm sure Europa League or Conference League would be a pretty good compromise, though

• Hang about, they've got Celtic and Rangers too low - but Aberdeen seems to be between 11 and 12 depending on where you look

• Since when did Wycombe fans start needing to snipe about supposedly small clubs? Very odd. He'll have a decent pay rise, play with and against some very good players, be on TV a fair bit and also have a shot at European Competition and cup glory, If they were to win the Scottish equivalent of the FA cup in front of a full Hampden he won't be pining for a trip to Accrington.

Importantly they have obviously made it clear they want him to play and offered a two year contract, also this isn't a deliberate attempt to lower the age of the squad or we wouldn't have offered him an extension.

• Incredibly Motherwell qualified for the Champions League in 2012/13.