Skip to content

Anthony Stewart to Aberdeen?

Comments

• edited June 2022

And so say all of us. No pressure, Anthony !!

• He’s 28. He probably benefited with timing of his last contract when we went up. We are probably now having to cut our cloth so the contract is possibly a league 1 deal not a Championship one. If Aberdeen offered him a 3 year deal why wouldn’t he go?

• As I said, if they offer him the money and a long contract, it would be madness not to go. And we all know if he has a less than steller time up there or has had enough after three years, he'll be back to be a General quicksmart. They all do. And if he does go, as with all of the positions, I trust in our management team to either replace him, or get the boys we have to step up successfully.

• Stewart's not a general, is he? Has never struck me as a leader (not a criticism).

• Good point that is. For a guy who has been here in total the best part of a decade to not be in that mixer does smack of that.

• He's not. But as far as I can recall Gape is the last of that era of generals currently in contract. We've lost Bayo, Charles, Blooms and maybe JJ from that team of leaders. I would love to see Darius back at the club in a pastoral role (even if it was part time) for young pro's. Intelligent, articulate and just an all round good human being.

• Thing is, we've got leaders throughout the squad who've come in at different times (McCarthy, Taf, Vokes) - testament to Gaz and Dobbo's recruitment approach. And it is an important quality, but I think it's been somewhat overstated with the whole 'generals' thing.

• edited June 2022

No he's not a general. JMac is now, which hints pretty clearly as to Gareth's feelings on the matter. As does how quickly Stewart got dropped earlier in the season for Grimmer in the 5. I think he's the one player Gareth underestimates. His interview comments of the past stick out: "I'm still telling Anthony he needs to be the most switched on when the ball is furthest away from our goal." He very rarely makes tactical comments like that about other players. Let's not forget Gaz sanctioned the Crewe move all those years ago.

However, Stewart is absolutely fantastic next to Tafazolli. Just like he was absolutely fantastic next to Pierre. etc. If you get the correct player next to him to win the aerial duals & command the back line, Anthony is a perfect Robin to Batman...

• Did not mean the Generals comment to be a tool to beat him with. The point was, even if he went, he will probably end up coming back (and be welcomed back) as an experienced pro. As others have said...put the right players next to him as he is as good as they get at our level.

• How do you mean Gaz "sanctioned" the Crewe move?

As I recall it was an utter waste of 6 months of Stewart's career, probably blinded by all his young mates securing moves to the bigger time, and he was looking for similar. Instead he refused to sign a deal, no-one would buy him, so it was no man's land, until all parties realised the next move wasn't Premier league/champs, but lower league squaddie, and thus it quickly became a small fee/no reason for the impasse to continue?

And your last line suggests Stewart isn't dominant in the air. He's pretty strong there in his own right.

• If he was to leave what price would you all accept for me we need to not just accept low offers for our best players .

• Keep up @trevor, Stewart is out of contract. No fee necessary.

• what price would you all accept for me

I'd take as little as 30p for you.

• Bit harsh there. Stewart had every right to try and move up the pyramid. It didn't work out. Gaz 'sanctioned' the initial loan if I remember correctly.

Stewart is not strong in the air. He averaged 2.2 aerial wins per 90 last season. That's 95th in the entire league. That's lower than Grimmer, JJ, and obviously Tafa (who averaged 5.4 which was 11th highest in the league). It's lower than James McClean (who played as a winger), Pierre, O'Nien, Scarr and many others.

• edited June 2022

Taf won 73% of his aerial duels last season - no other Wycombe defender even close. Forino and JJ both 59%, Stewart 58, Grimmer 56, Obita 48, McCarthy 44.5. Average and median for L1 defenders both 57% - will obvs be higher for CBs alone.

• Taf was incredibly underrated toward the back end of the season.

• Not bad for a player who didn't want to be here 👀

• You already sound angry about something that hasn't happened yet @trevor

• Why is he out of contract anyway he should of been offered a new deal .

• You can prove anything with stats. I'd prefer to go off watching a player to be honest.

He's clearly good in the air. Not as good as Tafa, but he is head and shoulders taller, so that's how it should be.

• I'm thinking Forino's aerial stats are really going to rise up the rankings this season. Towards the end of last, he "appeared" to be winning absolutely everything in the air.

• Come on Trev, you're better than this son

I've got faith in you

• It’s the pre-season, he’s sent an XI out to try some new formations.

• I haven't yet fully ruled out him being Mr Nice Guy this whole time

His commitment to a spoof character is the stuff of legends

• I reckon he's not far off losing confidence and reverting to the tried and tested...

• Tools has gone on Insta thanking us all for his time at Wycombe, re posted by Stoko. Looks like he’s gone. Really really sad

• It's just been confined via the app

• He’s going. Great move for him, tough one for us. I’m going to miss him.

• Fair enough, been a fantastic servant to the club and will be missed. If he is off to Aberdeen it’s a decent move, just hope the fans show him the appreciation he deserves. Who knows maybe we’ll see him back at the club again in the future!