Skip to content

Anthony Stewart to Aberdeen?

Comments

• Barely a step up, but presumably better wages on offer there and always the possibility of European football

• Jeeze, what a time for losing some big players in the squad. A rebuild of some leaders on the pitch is needed

• They’re in the process of having a £75 million stadium built, I’m sure that would be quite the lure as well.

• I can now reveal a conversation I had with Anthony at the player sponsors dinner, which left me in very little doubt that he was going to depart this summer.

When specifically asked if he was at all concerned by the lack of a contract offer from WWFC he replied "As an experienced pro, he would always have offers from somewhere and he wasn't at all bothered." The matter of fact nature of the reply as good as said he already had other offers that he was considering. In fact I was fairly convinced he might be going to MK - given that's where he is currently living.

• Stewart and Stockdale both leaving is a big blow to the defence.

What a player! I’m sure he’ll do very well at Aberdeen.

• Genuinely gutted to see him go. Probably my favourite player over the last few years. That play of final performance will go down in legend. Best of luck to him though, he deserves every success.

• Gutted. I wish Sir Anthony nothing but the best up there. Maybe Celtic will get to experience the joy of living in his pocket! A possible route into Europe too with Aberdeen always a threat for the Europa.

Just in the past year we have lost most of the remaining L2 stalwarts. Blooms (though still coachin), Bayo, Kashket and Stewart constitute a huge aggregate loss. The only remaining L2 players are JJ, Gape, Freeman and Curtis (who only played briefly down there).

A sad day for the club, but what a player to celebrate and remember. I half think Oxford offered to pay his wages!!!!

• Didn't see it coming even with this thread.

Definitely need some positive news soon!

Forino is on the up but without any doubt we'll need a starter brought in there.

• Not surprised but gutted to see this news.

It’s been an absolute pleasure to watch Anthony Stewart start out as a youth team prospect, and work his way up from near the bottom of the football league to the Championship!

Thanks for all the memories Anthony! That Oxford performance was the stuff of legends, with the other one that stands out for me being the last minute equaliser at Portsmouth back in 2013. Generally just loved watching you play football with a big smile on your face! Good luck at Aberdeen!

• Just a 2 year deal is a bit surprising but I guess it’s better than what we offered him. Sad. Good luck. Feck me we better have some aces up our sleeves.

• Best of luck Tools and thanks especially for that priceless goal against the plucky little team from up the road

• When was the sponsors dinner? Thought that was pushed back from the original date due to the playoffs, so you're basically saying he hadn't received a contract offer by late May?

Or are you meaning one mid season or something?

• tools is decent however Forino will be class and if we manage to pull off masterstroke and get Mawson that would be amazing business

• Like others, totally gutted to see Anthony leave. A legend of our recent era, an absolutely top class, committed and dependable defender. They’re not ten a penny are they?

I wish him every success up in Scotland, go up there and smash it son. I wish he was staying but it’s not to be.

Wycombe fans will still be talking about his Wembley performance for years to come, it really was that good.

Good luck Tools. Hope to see you in the quarters again one day.

• Gutted about this. Hits harder when it's someone who's come up through the ranks

• Gutted.... Great player, great bloke... Has worked himself into Wycombe legend category.

Top players going..... I hope we have a back up plan.

I trust fornio to step up. he was epic when given the opportunity. Possibly why Stewart took the plunge to move on now, before he possibly had to play second fiddle?

• edited June 2022

Have to wish him well, more of a step up than Stocko who I also wish well but can't really congratulate going to a team in the same division, they're both men and Dad's before they are footballer's so you have to respect their decisions.

If random posts on social media are becoming more accurate these days it's not ideal to note lots of other interest in Mawson.

Do your magic Gaz and Dobbo, we'll need some. Unless we really low balled the two of them and Bayo was only playing for love there should be some wriggle room now, excited to see who comes in even if it is on the day of one of our last friendlies, should we actually announce any.

Grab your binoculars for some trialist spotting.

• Is it? Let's see what Gaz has up his sleeve. I get the impression the two didn't see eye to eye at times

• The fans dinner was cancelled not the sponsors one.

• Absolutely gutted to hear about this. One of my favourite players in the squad. This summer is beginning to have the feel of the end of an era for the club. Let's just hope we've got a few new aces up our sleeve.

All the best Anthony for your new adventure, you've been an absolute class act and a total credit to WWFC.

• Yeah, explaining for someone above while replying to the wrong post

• Trust the process. Forino can step up and Gaz will have a signing up his sleeve.

• He’ll actually be 30 in September, @TheAndyGrahamFanClub so I think he probably judged (possibly with the benefit of an indication of what was on offer at Aberdeen) that the time was right to optimise his earnings. His family means everything to him and, particularly in these financially troubled times, he would be very keen to secure their financial future.

I hope he will enjoy his time in the granite city. He goes with our fondest best wishes and our thanks for ten years of solid and consistent dependability in the centre of our defence. He’ll always be welcome back at Adams Park.

• Thank you and good luck!!!!

Really hope we don’t get good offers for Taf. Losing 1 of them is manageable but both would be tough

• It's a great move for Stewart and I'm sure he'll be a big success in Scotland.

Sad to see him go, but we may well have a ready made replacement in Forino who looked a real talent last season, even keeping Stewart out of the side at times. I'm quite sure we'll also be looking to bring someone in and GA and Dobbo rarely fail in the transfer market.

Best wishes to Stewart, he'll always be a hero to Wycombe fans and as others have said, that performance against Oxford was one of the best ever seen in Wycombe shirt.

• Sad news but a good move for him and at least he won't be back in L1 to mark The Player out of the game. Trust in Gareth and Dobbo.