Skip to content

Match day thread: Plymouth

Comments

• Let’s hope we drag Sheff Wed down to our level as well ?

• The only Donny Downer is the accumulating injury list to key players. After a performance like that you would love to have consistency. Big moment for Pendlebury now and I think he can step up but he is against arguably the best midfielder in the league on Saturday.

• Don’t tantalise us @TheAndyGrahamFanClub ! Save us a little googling time and I’ll throw in a weather forecast.

• He means Barry Bannan

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Tonight could've jumped straight into my top 5 away games ever !

Mehmeti's finish for his 2nd goal was premiership quality ! Great all round performance, delighted !

Just watching it on iPlayer over and over and the way Gmac pinging it into jim at pace, you would have thought 9 times out of 10 at this level the ball would have ricocheted off a shin. But anis first touch was incredible and then to completely bamboozle the defence and keeper with his next two touches really was quality of the highest order. Incredible touch.

The fist touch for his first was impressive too. Letting it run across his body giving him space and time to shoot was very clever.

If we’re talking about control, a note should go to the Plymouth player that did similar to Stewart in the highlight just after our disallowed goal. It’s not that often you see Stewart unable to read where the balls going.

• I've watched the 3rd goal several times and I still can't see his feet go and figure out how he shifted the ball so quickly. No wonder the 'keeper and defender were looking the other way. Astonishing skill made to look so simple and effortless.

• @TheDancingYak said:

The fist touch for his first was impressive too. Letting it run across his body giving him space and time to shoot was very clever.

Argyle fans are melting down enough as it is. For god sake don't let them think there was a handball too.

• Us having a sit down for a minute - Blatant and disgraceful cheating, rubbish ref, horrible team

Them diving in the penalty area four times not even under challenges - well, erm....

The game wasn't won by the ref, it was them shooting like goons in a bad action movie somehow managing to always miss the target from all ranges and distances, and erm.. Vokes , Mehmeti and co tearing them apart

• Had to work last night but it was a bit of a party atmosphere as there were a few Oxford fans there too; kept trying not to keep checking my phone but the last few minutes got a bit giddy and surreal. What an absolutely staggering performance and result.

One small downer: is that Thommo, Gape and Scowen all injured now? A position we seemed to have so much strength in depth in. Fingers crossed all are fit again very soon.

• Vokes also hobbled off - hope that's nothing serious as he was utterly superb last night

• Hanlan was miles on wasn't he? Can't believe Plymouth influenced the ref like that!

Mehmeti's second is a goal of the season contender.

• What a great watch!!!

Stocko back to his best, Tools and Taf….. well being Tools and Taf, JJ looking fresh, Thomson and Wheeler brilliant in the middle - Wheeler very underrated, Hanlan and Vokes ran their wotsits off and Mehmeti just sensational.

Obvious concerns over the the fitness of Thomson and Vokes for Saturday. Pendlebury did well but a big ask of him on Saturday. Still got plenty of quality sitting on the bench to call on though

Onwards and upwards COYB

• Fairly confident Vokes wasn't injured.

• @bigred87 said:
    Fairly confident Vokes wasn't injured.

Touch of cramp perhaps. We oldies are martyrs to it. Nearly said “us oldies” but didn’t want @HCblue docking me marks.
    Very quiet lately, BTW. Get me - down with the kids again.

• Last night was much more of a front two, and I reckon we'll want to go the same v another 3atb side on Saturday - so does that mean GMac stays out of the side?

• edited November 2021

Cause last night was Hanlan's best game for us and his understanding with Vokes is excellent - as exemplified in the build-up to the second goal (wonderful assist btw).

• What last night showed, is that we are at our absolute best when we mix up long balls and short intricate passing to keep the opposition guessing.
    Wheeler and Mehmeti have been the key to that change in the last two matches. Long may it continue.
    It will be interesting to see what happens on Saturday if Gape, Thompson and Scowen are all still injured.
    Will McCarthy or Grimmer move into central midfield? Will Bloomfield return or will he show faith in Wheeler & Pendlebury.
    I quite fancy Stewart in there, in front of the back three but given our lack of options at the back at the minute I'd keep him where he is.
    I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us play 4-5-1 for first 60 and sit back with two banks of defenders.

• @Commoner said:
    What last night showed, is that we are at our absolute best when we mix up long balls and short intricate passing to keep the opposition guessing.
    Wheeler and Mehmeti have been the key to that change in the last two matches. Long may it continue.
    It will be interesting to see what happens on Saturday if Gape, Thompson and Scowen are all still injured.
    Will McCarthy or Grimmer move into central midfield? Will Bloomfield return or will he show faith in Wheeler & Pendlebury.
    I quite fancy Stewart in there, in front of the back three but given our lack of options at the back at the minute I'd keep him where he is.
    I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us play 4-5-1 for first 60 and sit back with two banks of defenders.

Sticking our best defender in midfield cannot be a serious suggestion

• edited November 2021

An enjoyable watch for Gasroomers everywhere... (bit long for some at 15 mins, but this is entertaining coffee break viewing)

• Fascinating analysis of the 'rivalry.' Basically, we keep beating them.

• Irrespective of whether McCarthy was being treated for longer than was absolutely necessary, why can’t these Plymouth fans understand that the majority of players who go down injured do actually recover and carry on playing? Plus the referee adds the time on anyway.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Irrespective of whether McCarthy was being treated for longer than was absolutely necessary, why can’t these Plymouth fans understand that the majority of players who go down injured do actually recover and carry on playing?

I agree with this.

Plus the referee adds the time on anyway.

It’s not about actually taking up the time, it’s about breaking up the play.

• It's time management, not time-wasting.

• “Popcorn fans” as the lad described those not totally committed to the cause. I guess that’s what Rob is trying to attract with the fireworks at our place.

• I hope Rob hasn't seen the report about making half-time 25 minutes long

• And then, of course, it's the "not just Wycombe" thing. Remember when the Crewe guy went down in added time to break up the play after we'd been battering them, and the ref added the minutes, and we scored in the final seconds of those minutes? Having been vicariously responsible for perpetrating the crime in the first place, Artell then came over all Fergie, thrusting his watch towards the face of any official who couldn't get away from him fast enough.

But hey, everyone hates Wycombe, for doing what everyone does...

• We are 'worse' than probably anyone else, but that's fine.

• I'm not convinced that's true. But I'm sure you've got some "stats" on it...

• See that Brendan Galloway dislocated his kneecap, it is an incredibly painful thing to happen, hope for his sake the scans show no damage to the ACL or MCL and that he makes a speedy recovery