Skip to content

Match day thread: Plymouth

Comments

• edited November 2021

This was after the Crewe game. I'll ask for up-to-date figures, but I doubt it's changed much. Our reputation precedes us and other teams need to stop whining and start working out how to deal with it better.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    We are 'worse' than probably anyone else, but that's fine.

I’m not sure that is true. Even our swashbuckling friends from Oxford were lambasted after a recent game for time wasting, feigning injury and roughhouse tactics. It’s typical football fan language like ‘tactically naive’, ‘no plan B’, ‘taken us as far as he can go’ etc. It’s just lazy, cliched nonsense used to try and explain away a defeat.

• Our third goal from Mehmeti was absolutely outrageous. The touch with his right foot to put him through was unreal.

• @glasshalffull said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I’m not sure that is true. Even our swashbuckling friends from Oxford were lambasted after a recent game for time wasting, feigning injury and roughhouse tactics. It’s typical football fan language like ‘tactically naive’, ‘no plan B’, ‘taken us as far as he can go’ etc. It’s just lazy, cliched nonsense used to try and explain away a defeat.

It is true - but like I say, it's not a problem! It also makes for excellent, piss-boiling celebrations like Anis pointing to his 'watch' after his first goal.

• Wow! What a result! What a night! I have just breezed through a heavy workload after such a wonderful win. Take a bow Anis Mehmeti! What a talent. The third goal is a thing of beauty.

I cannot recall a set of fans in 36 years of watching football that have lost their heads even before a ball has been kicked. It gets worse every time we play them. I think it is perfectly summed up when I read one Janner claiming we were time-wasting in the warm-up! It's so hilarious.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@glasshalffull said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

It is true - but like I say, it's not a problem! It also makes for excellent, piss-boiling celebrations like Anis pointing to his 'watch' after his first goal.

I don't think that's what that is by the way. He's doing that on his photo from that photo shoot where they all did different poses

Must mean something but I don't know what it is

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@glasshalffull said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Watching it again, it looks like he's miming driving a car as he runs over to Bayo?

• I know it was said a lot on commentary last night, but it's still worth repeating - Stewart was absolutely magnificent last night.

Also, what brilliant mangament from Ainsworth and Dobbo yet again. Set up perfectly to begin with. At 1-0 with Thompson needing to go off, I was a bit worried. But not only did they trust Pendlebury to do his job (which he did), they also brought off Jacobson for GMac and changed the system to go to a back four. You've got to have a well coached team to be able to do that and finish the game more strongly as a result. The accusation you sometimes hear when things aren't going well that GA is 'tactically naive' is just so much nonesense - they're so astute and they got it spot on again yesterday.

• Worth mentioning that from my perch in the home end, the away supporters were a credit to our club. They visibly stood and joined in the minutes applause in respect of a former argyle staff member and again visibly to a man stood and applauded off the injured Argyle defender. It was noticed by those around me.

The contrast to the home mob singing "wycombe wanderers you're a f**king disgrace" when their injured player was being treated even though he had not even been fouled was also noted.

• I wondered why they were booing their own sub until I realised it was Broooooooom

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@glasshalffull said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

How can an opinion be true? You think we are worse than all the rest. I think we've seen worse from other teams this season and we were absolute amateurs at it last season for the most part.

Interesting you want to link the goal celebration to it as well. Bayo has spent alot of time mentoring the younger players and I took the celebration to refer to it being his time to shine after so long on the sidelines. No doubt your opinion on this is the truth but I didn't see it at all at the time.

We had 15 minutes added on last night. Nearly half of that was for a non contact injury to a Plymouth player. Darks arts eh?

• @ReturnToSenda is very much the Wycombe to Righty's Plymouth

• Spot on, Righty. Interesting point about Bayo, which GA brought out in his post match interview last night. One can only imagine the kind of excellent mentoring work going on behind the scenes to bring the best out of our young players by our more experienced players. With Stocko, Bayo, JJ, Vokes and Blooms, as well as GA and Dobbo, we couldn't have a better set of "wise old heads" at this level.

• It's not nice to read some of the comments by their fans but the thing that has really wound them up is the "head injury" that appears not to have been. Take that out and there doesn't seem much else to anger them in reality. What's the view on that episode?

• Yes, apart from the possible head injury to McCarthy, I don't think they could have any complaints about time wasting last night. Not that we were in a hurry at any point, but actually I thought their use of ball boys was very positive. We didn't really have the chance to waste time, with them getting the ball back so quickly. Contrast to Oxford, who expected Wycombe players to fetch the ball from all corners of the ground and then had the cheek to complain about us time wasting!

Actually, I think that's secretly what most Plymouth fans are most upset about! We went there and won 3-0 and didn't even need to resort to the dark arts! There wasn't really anything for them to get riled about, but they managed to anyway based purely upon our reputation rather than what they'd witnessed in front of them.

• Nah, we were definitely up to our usual tricks - little things like Stocko getting down on all fours and crawling to the ball, which is totally legitimate and makes it all the more hilarious when the oppo fans blow their tops.

• Didn't see the game sadly...but if we can go somewhere where they 'know what they are going to get' to play our 'anti-football' and win 3-0, I think they need to look at more than our 'dark arts'.

• I have to say Wheeler is indeed doing a good job in the midfield...his aerial ability being quite useful. We may struggle without Thompson and Scowen to break up play, but DW is a better passer of the ball perhaps.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I have to say Wheeler is indeed doing a good job in the midfield...his aerial ability being quite useful. We may struggle without Thompson and Scowen to break up play, but DW is a better passer of the ball perhaps.

I know someone who can do both...

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Commoner said:

I quite fancy Stewart in there, in front of the back three but given our lack of options at the back at the minute I'd keep him where he is.
    I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us play 4-5-1 for first 60 and sit back with two banks of defenders.

Sticking our best defender in midfield cannot be a serious suggestion

Deadly serious as a one off, which is basically what I said in the first post.

If Thompson, Gape and Scowen are all injured for Saturday I would quite happily play Stewart there if we had a decent back up option at center back.

I'd certainly prefer Stewart there over McCarthy or Grimmer. I'm not sure Wheeler/Pendlebury should be our starting midfield two against Wednesday. Appreciate that on balance, Stewart is more likely to play center back but I would be equally happy with him playing CDM this Saturday.

I remember a Stewart interview from a long time ago where he said he started off as a center midfielder but as his development progressed he moved to center back as he didn't have the energy to be a box to box midfielder.

Perhaps Bloomfield might start. Who knows!

• GA spoke very highly of Penders in the post match interview yesterday. I don’t think he’d hesitate to start him alongside Wheels.

• I think GA will go with Pendlebury if our three holding midfielders are injured. Yes he is young but he has the confidence, energy and intelligence to fill that role.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    I think GA will go with Pendlebury if our three holding midfielders are injured. Yes he is young but he has the confidence, energy and intelligence to fill that role.

And he's scored two goals.

• It'll be Pendles and Wheels if Scowen, Thompson and Gape are all out. I also have no qualms about playing McCarthy there if need be - did a perfectly decent job v Stoke and iirc Preston last season.

• 'But god they are awful to watch. No ambition at all.'

Think how many we would have scored if we had ambition?

• @Commoner said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Commoner said:

I quite fancy Stewart in there, in front of the back three but given our lack of options at the back at the minute I'd keep him where he is.
    I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us play 4-5-1 for first 60 and sit back with two banks of defenders.

If Thompson, Gape and Scowen are all injured for Saturday I would quite happily play Stewart there if we had a decent back up option at center back.

I'd certainly prefer Stewart there over McCarthy or Grimmer. I'm not sure Wheeler/Pendlebury should be our starting midfield two against Wednesday. Appreciate that on balance, Stewart is more likely to play center back but I would be equally happy with him playing CDM this Saturday.

I remember a Stewart interview from a long time ago where he said he started off as a center midfielder but as his development progressed he moved to center back as he didn't have the energy to be a box to box midfielder.

Can think of plenty of examples of a DM being used at CB and looking ok there (Fabinho, Rice, Ofoborh at Bournemouth actually!), but has anyone successfully made the opposite transition in or after their prime? ?

• @Wendoverman said:
    'But god they are awful to watch. No ambition at all.'

Think how many we would have scored if we had ambition?

Let's face it, we could do what England did to San Marino the other week and oppo fans would still be in denial, unable to fathom how a tinpot little team like Wycombe had the audacity to become really bloody good.

• @Commoner said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Commoner said:

Now I'm trying to think of CBs who've successfully transitioned to DM in their prime?

• In fairness, I can see that happening quite a lot more at the top level in the coming years as the skillsets increasingly overlap, but I wouldn't be touching Stewart!

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Commoner said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Commoner said:

Now I'm trying to think of CBs who've successfully transitioned to DM in their prime?

Gareth Southgate?