Skip to content

Match day thread: Bolton

Comments

• @LX1 said:
    Expensive burgers do attract some people

I’d agree, I don’t see £7/£8 burgers as being that expensive, IF you have the quality that goes with them.

Tom Kerridge sells burgers for £8.50 out of one his places in marlow which are certainly worth that money. If we’re insisting on higher priced burgers they need to be knocking on that door of quality or people won’t bother.

Maybe someone at the club needs to give Tom a call and see how he does it, because you can be sure he’s turning a nice profit while doing it.

• It's extortionate for a football ground, though.

• @Mandown said:
    Agree that Vokes was excellent today, he looks to be getting physically stronger every time I see him.

The introduction of GMac gave everyone a lift on and off the pitch. Mehmeti, who showed great character after missing the penalty, took his performance to a higher level with GMac by his side.

Hanlan impressed for a few games but is starting to lose possession far too often for my liking. I would love to see a 3 of GMac, Mehmeti and Horgan playing behind Vokes on Tuesday with 4 at the back and 2 holding midfielders. COYB

Agree with all of this

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    It's extortionate for a football ground, though.

Are the burgers in the ground not the same as the barbecue? I've only sampled the burgers on the new barbecue signing, and those were great (though still expensive at £7-£8)

• @ReturnToSenda said:

Again, depends on the quality. If it’s the only option and poor quality - then I’d agree with you. But if an £8 burger is the quality it deserves to be at that price and is part of a range of food options then it absolutely has a place.

Just because “it’s at a football ground” isn’t a good argument for cheap and cheerful imho.

• @TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Again, depends on the quality. If it’s the only option and poor quality - then I’d agree with you. But if an £8 burger is the quality it deserves to be at that price and is part of a range of food options then it absolutely has a place.

Just because “it’s at a football ground” isn’t a good argument for cheap and cheerful imho.

I think you've got to at least have a cheap option. Maybe easy for me to say as I very rarely eat at the football, but it will be pricing a lot of people out.

• Took my 5-year-old to his first game yesterday and it was my first in the Family Stand since we beat QPR on August Bank Hol in 2001 (RIP Macca).

Overall, he loved the experience, however apart from the Chairboys Village (he’s a little too young to neck a few plastic cups of Rebellion) there wasn’t a huge deal to keep him entertained pre-match. The BMW was, well, a BMW, and that novelty soon wore off. I seem to remember there used to be a penalty shoot-out area for kids at one point, maybe I missed it?

Inside the ground, he drank it all in and enjoyed the fireworks (he’s 5) but even he scowled at the flaming bins and their ear-splitting accompaniment.

In terms of the game itself, I thought we battled really well yesterday and I don’t have too much to add to what’s already been said. It looked like J Mac was getting the run around a bit by their lively winger and wasn’t sure whether to press or contain at times. That sorted itself out and I’m happy for him that he got the assist. With the relative abundance of riches at GA’s disposal, he’s able to try out different systems and I thought yesterday’s worked well on the whole bar a few nervy moments when we got countered. The lift GMac gave us was immense, hard to think of a Wycombe player in recent times capable of such an effect. Maybe Currie but I think GMac tops him…

• Genuine question because I'm a relative yoof (first game 2003): loanees aside (and even among them, maybe only Eze ranks ahead), is GMac the greatest player Wycombe have ever had relative to the division the team is/was playing in?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Genuine question because I'm a relative yoof (first game 2003): loanees aside (and even among them, maybe only Eze ranks ahead), is GMac the greatest player Wycombe have ever had relative to the division the team is/was playing in?

Steve Guppy in the conference I'd say

• @HolmerBlue said:

@Mandown said:
    Agree that Vokes was excellent today, he looks to be getting physically stronger every time I see him.

The introduction of GMac gave everyone a lift on and off the pitch. Mehmeti, who showed great character after missing the penalty, took his performance to a higher level with GMac by his side.

Hanlan impressed for a few games but is starting to lose possession far too often for my liking. I would love to see a 3 of GMac, Mehmeti and Horgan playing behind Vokes on Tuesday with 4 at the back and 2 holding midfielders. COYB

Agree with all of this

Hanlan is strong and skillful, but sometimes tries to beat too many people and then goes down a bit theatrically. Similar to Mehmeti skillwise....Bolton were on them both in force very quickly so perhaps picking a pass and getting forward for the return might be a plan. Once there were two tricky ball players on one side in GMac and McLeary the Trotters were all over the place.

• Guppy was a shade too early for me so can’t comment but by all accounts his legend has not diminished. We’ve had talismen down the years…Tyson, Hayes, even the likes of Beavon and Easter for brief spells. But for sheer quality and ability to change a game, I can’t think of too many other ‘perm’ players better than McCleary (other than the aforementioned Currie).

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Genuine question because I'm a relative yoof (first game 2003): loanees aside (and even among them, maybe only Eze ranks ahead), is GMac the greatest player Wycombe have ever had relative to the division the team is/was playing in?

I’d throw Jermaine Easter into the hat.

I seem to remember he joined perhaps mid season and he did nothing, but the sort of runs he was making in that half season was significantly above our level that the rest of the team couldn’t pick him out or saw it too late and he was offside.

A preseason later and he was being found and scoring seemingly for fun and earned himself a very well deserved move up the leagues.

• If we're allowed loanees then Steven Taylor would come into the conversation as well

• Surely Scott Mcgleish should be a contender. Still holds the Wycombe record for the most goals scored in all competitions in one season.

• He was more or less at his level though wasn't he? Guppy played non-league for us and went on to have a distinguished career in the premier league and play for England

By the criteria set he wins it comfortably I'd say

• @TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

The important bit is the being part of a range of food options. There should be affordable hot food options in the ground for me, at the moment it seems fans feel excluded by the prices.

• edited November 2021

Martin Taylor, only got him because of injuries and was arguably the best goalie we ever had.

Possibly also Tyson just before he left first time, any hopeful punt forward looked like a goal or a card

• I thought Mehmeti really stepped up a gear when playing alongside MacCleary. I think he is learning from a master.

• @Forest_Blue said:
    I thought Mehmeti really stepped up a gear when playing alongside MacCleary. I think he is learning from a master.

If it works out like Ronaldinho taking Messi under his wing, I reckon we'll be alright!

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Would have gone Grimmer over McCarthy, but at least there's less reliance on McCarthy to cross in this system

It’s always funny being busy on game day and reading back through the thread after the fact!

• @JohnBoy said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Would have gone Grimmer over McCarthy, but at least there's less reliance on McCarthy to cross in this system

It’s always funny being busy on game day and reading back through the thread after the fact!

He's not suddenly become a good crosser (although I hope he has...).

• I have to mostly agree with @Mandown. I think Hanlan is a strong and powerful lad but needs to stay on his feet more. He is good enough to be powering through challenges, and doesn’t need to take the easy option of going down and looking for a free kick. He has so much potential, but I feel he may be best on Tuesday off the bench. I absolutely agree with the 4-2-3-1 on Tuesday with Mehmeti, McCleary and Horgan begins Vokes. We’ll be under a lot of pressure at times and need to hold onto the ball as best we can.

Would love if Scowen was available with Thompson but Wheeler is an able deputy (in about any position) and his aerial ability is always a strength. Same back 4 but I would think about Grimmer for McCarthy as he is a better defender, but depends if Plymouth have a very strong left winger.

The only player for me since watching Wycombe (early 90’s although I was young at first so not as accurate a judge of player for sure) that is close to McCleary ability wise is Currie, who was actually more skilful with the ball at his feet. He was one of the slowest professional footballers I have ever seen though - if he’d have had decent pace he’d have been playing for England. But McCleary is very skilful in his own right, he still has good pace at 34 (and more importantly turn of pace from a standing start) and is just so, so composed on the ball. He is a truly wonderful player and worth the entrance fee to see him play alone. He’s also a true ‘professional’ footballer, what all young players should be looking to emulate. He’s always immaculately dressed off the pitch, looks fit as a butcher’s dog and is articulate and engaging in interviews. Back on the pitch, just one example of absolute class yesterday was standing up the right back, little step over powered down the line past the full back and a delicious left footed cross to Vokes all in the time before the full back had seemingly not moved! What a player for Mehmeti to learn from.

• I also thought Mehmeti was very good yesterday. I do worry about him a little bit though - might have just been where I was standing, but there were a few in the crowd getting on his back about when to pass / dribble. Contrasted with McCleary, who (rightfully) enjoys the adulation of the crowd singing his name long before he even came on. I'd love to hear Mehmeti's name being sung, and the crowd getting behind him, he's got so much talent.

Kudos too to the management for the tactical change made at half time - I thought we pressed their forward line a lot more quickly in the second half, Stewart especially, stopping their momentum and helping us keep the ball. We were a bit passive at times in the in the first half with Scowen missing, and that made all the difference.

I'm not sure we played an awful lot better than last week. But we scored when we were on top and didn't concede when we weren't. So it all feels a lot more positive at the end of the weekend.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

Noel Ashford, in the Isthmian League at tier 6, could probably have been comfortable playing at tier 2 or 3.

• @Glenny said:
    I also thought Mehmeti was very good yesterday. I do worry about him a little bit though - might have just been where I was standing, but there were a few in the crowd getting on his back about when to pass / dribble. Contrasted with McCleary, who (rightfully) enjoys the adulation of the crowd singing his name long before he even came on. I'd love to hear Mehmeti's name being sung, and the crowd getting behind him, he's got so much talent.

Kudos too to the management for the tactical change made at half time - I thought we pressed their forward line a lot more quickly in the second half, Stewart especially, stopping their momentum and helping us keep the ball. We were a bit passive at times in the in the first half with Scowen missing, and that made all the difference.

I'm not sure we played an awful lot better than last week. But we scored when we were on top and didn't concede when we weren't. So it all feels a lot more positive at the end of the weekend.

There were a few calling for Mehmeti to pass late on, despite McCleary quite clearly (or so I thought) making the overlapping run to open up a great big gap through the middle.

Hopefully GMac is able to start on Tuesday, but I wouldn't be dropping Hanlan as his physicality as much as anything gives us another dimension in terms of progressing the ball - plus he seems to read Vokes' flick-ons than anyone else.

• I don’t remember a single instance of Hanlan going down unnecessarily. Bolton doubled up on him for most of the game, which I think contributed to their surprise when suddenly there was two geniuses on the opposite side of the pitch that they hadn’t planned for. I do however remember several attempts to boot him up in the air, one of which was given as a Bolton free kick.

• They doubled up on Hanlan it is true, but he does flop a bit early for a big strong lad for me @drcongo Having said that I think he is a really good player who just needs to get back into the goals.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

Tyson was way too good for League 2.

• Just had a look on iFollow for the moment I mentioned above, it’s pretty much exactly on the half hour mark. Wiped out by Santos, Bolton free kick.

• Another point on GMac - his defensive tracking back. Yesterday he shepherded the ball out of play for a goal kick by giving the attacker a little shoulder barge at the end...and I think it was with his recently damaged shoulder (though I could be wrong)!!!