Skip to content

Match day thread: Bolton

Comments

• @arnos_grove said:
    I remember a central midfielder called Nigel Taylor. Slightly less mobile than John Cornforth plus no ball playing ability either.

Definitely the worst player I can remember who actually played a few games.

I was going to say that Nigel is the slowest Wycombe player I have seen, but then rememberd Trevor Aylott. Nigel gave his all, which is why Jim Kelman liked him. He played against us for Basingstoke in the FA Cup, in their 6-0 defeat at AP in 90-91. Chuck made his debut in goal on that game.

• @bigred87 said:
    The worst.... keeper in the mid 90s left for Bristol Rovers , can't remember his name.

@bigred87 said:
    The worst.... keeper in the mid 90s left for Bristol Rovers , can't remember his name.

Brian Parkin.
    Our warning should have been a season or 2 before we signed him, we played them in the cup and he played a pass straight out to Carroll who wandered in and scored easily.

Unforgettable to me as some arse I used to go to school with was constantly on about him looking like Feargal Sharkey, which meant nothing to me, and probably no-one else of our age.

• edited November 2021

I think you might be referring to Anthony Jeffrey, who signed for us during the season we almost got relegated out of the Football League. I felt a bit sorry for him as he was thrown into a team with pretty much rock-bottom confidence in a sink or swim situation and was below the quality we desperately needed at the time.
    He's built a career for himself in non-league, and earlier this season signed for Wrexham and has been capped by Guyana five times (according to Wikipedia).

• @arnos_grove said:
    I remember a central midfielder called Nigel Taylor. Slightly less mobile than John Cornforth plus no ball playing ability either.

Definitely the worst player I can remember who actually played a few games.

Jimmy kelman loved Nigel Taylor much to the amazement of the majority loakes Park faithful. Very poor player.
    The worst I can remember was Gary Toll, a big centre forward but lacked pace,courage,work rate and ability.

• What about Steve Toll @ChasHarps ?
    Pretty decent central defender, wasn’t he?

• @ReadingMarginalista said:
    I think you might be referring to Anthony Jeffrey, who signed for us during the season we almost got relegated out of the Football League. I felt a bit sorry for him as he was thrown into a team with pretty much rock-bottom confidence in a sink or swim situation and was below the quality we desperately needed at the time.
    He's built a career for himself in non-league, and earlier this season signed for Wrexham and has been capped by Guyana five times (according to Wikipedia).

It was unfair, too much was expected of him but we were desperate. I remember watching him play for Boreham Wood later in his career, he was unplayable with his lightning pace. He joined Wrexham at the start of last season but left in January after eight appearances. Still only 27 years old.

• @Steve_Peart said:

It was unfair, too much was expected of him but we were desperate. I remember watching him play for Boreham Wood later in his career, he was unplayable with his lightning pace. He joined Wrexham at the start of last season but left in January after eight appearances. Still only 27 years old.

I clearly skim read that article too quickly!

• @micra said:
    What about Steve Toll @ChasHarps ?
    Pretty decent central defender, wasn’t he?

He was a Steady Eddie, reliable a bit like Matt Crossley, any doubt he put it out.
    After we won the Isthmian lge, he strangely returned to Flackwell Heath, as hid didn't mix socially off the field with other players.
    He returned mid way through the Gola lge season, but soon departed again, rumours were that he refused to stop playing for Hedsor on a Sunday.
    Not sure whether it was because his brother Gary was constantly barracked by the Loakes Park faithful, but I can't think of anyone else who looked less impressed to pull on a Wanderers Jersey.

• @CarParkPete said:
    No, scratch the above, think you were referring to John(?) Halls.

That’s it Halls, my god what a waste of training kit.

• Just checked him out on Wikipedia, he was capped for England at U20 level, wtf!!

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@LX1 said:
    Stop claiming we are all old @ReturnToSenda ?

?

If you remember Zippy from 'Raimbow' we are the same generation brother

• Carlos Lopez clearly the worst, how he bullshitted his way on to the pitch I still don’t understand.

Anthony Jeffrey would be my number 2, looked like he had no football talent other than being fast. I think expectations were too high as he had just been released by Arsenal.

Hogan Ephraim I think was the worst performer in comparison to his potential.

• @LX1 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@LX1 said:

?

Ok, who is the gobbiest Wycombe player of all time?

• In the current side it's got to be either right-back

• Tommy Doherty?

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@LX1 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@LX1 said:

?

Seeing as this thread has been turned in to a TalkSport phone in I’ll answer and retreat a safe distance

Kevin Betsy had the most talent compared to the league standard
    The worst player is a pathetic question and not worthy of an answer
    If George Borg isn’t the gobbiest only The Doc comes close.

• @Chris said:
    Carlos Lopez clearly the worst, how he bullshitted his way on to the pitch I still don’t understand.

Anthony Jeffrey would be my number 2, looked like he had no football talent other than being fast. I think expectations were too high as he had just been released by Arsenal.

Hogan Ephraim I think was the worst performer in comparison to his potential.

Ahh, Ephraim. One of those players of quality you just waited to ignite. But never really did.
    Like Aarons and Paul Smyth.

• edited November 2021

@ReturnToSenda said:

@LX1 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@LX1 said:

?

Reece Styche has to have a shout.
    A strange signing, he had a reasonable record at Forest Green, but in non league, but never for a second looked like cutting it for us.
    But giving countless freekicks away and moaning at officials was his stock move.

• Brian Parkin was awful but think his understudy Cheesewright was even worse.
    Another vote for Betsy for being above his level, on absolute fire before he left us and just went past defenders like they weren't there. Bayo at his best deserves a mention in that spirit.
    Unfair on some of the poor players being mentioned who were either very cheap or punts on players from lower league or both.

• I'm going to be very controversial and suggest for the worst (least impact on the game) player - and this is purely in relation to what was expected given his illustrious playing career - Ray Wilkins.
    From memory he spent the entire game moving within a 15yds band either side of half way as the ball pinged back and forth never once landing in that band rendering him a total spectator.
    I know many will think this is akin to blasphemy but there you have it, all about opinions.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Genuine question because I'm a relative yoof (first game 2003): loanees aside (and even among them, maybe only Eze ranks ahead), is GMac the greatest player Wycombe have ever had relative to the division the team is/was playing in?

I’d agree with the other choices, I thought Super Simon Garner had a few more games at a higher level in him when he came to us

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Brian Parkin was awful but think his understudy Cheesewright was even worse.
    Another vote for Betsy for being above his level, on absolute fire before he left us and just went past defenders like they weren't there. Bayo at his best deserves a mention in that spirit.
    Unfair on some of the poor players being mentioned who were either very cheap or punts on players from lower league or both.

Ah good point. The Parkin / Cheesewright decision was a woeful one.
    When you look at some of the superb keepers we've had for most of our league days, that season, it was almost like we had two backup keepers!

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@LX1 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@LX1 said:

?

Got to be Georgie Borg.

• edited November 2021

@Twizz said:
    I'm going to be very controversial and suggest for the worst (least impact on the game) player - and this is purely in relation to what was expected given his illustrious playing career - Ray Wilkins.
    From memory he spent the entire game moving within a 15yds band either side of half way as the ball pinged back and forth never once landing in that band rendering him a total spectator.
    I know many will think this is akin to blasphemy but there you have it, all about opinions.

I think even Wilkins admitted as much after the game.
    The comedy of bringing a 40 year old diminutive ball player into the long ball Smith gub.

However, Neil Lennon was surely way worse. Well out of condition, minimal mobility, and actually played a few games too.

• Imagine Guppy (one of the top two or three crossers for accuracy in every season he played at the top) crossing for our current forwards. We’d be scoring 7 every game.

Trevor Aylott was quite something. I remember one game where he went to head a ball a foot off the ground and St Martin laughing about it in his post match interview.

• Fola Onibuje the worst

Steven Taylor a shout for the best.

Anthony Stewart is looking a level above league 1 right now

• Martin's joke that he once shouted to Aylott "Trevor, warm up, I'm about to sub you off" is one of his best

• “Warm up Trevor, you’re coming off’

• That's it!

• So perfect it burned itself into my brain.