Skip to content

Match day thread: Crewe Alexandra

Comments

• get in Taffs

• Challenging right up the top then?

• Or Taf gets a last touch winner! Still think the same though as we are just not positive enough.

• Yesssss!!!!

• Taffs as a 9? What a finish!

• @Quarterman said:
    Or Taf gets a last touch winner! Still think the same though as we are just not positive enough.

We were very positive, just wasteful. We'll be there or thereabouts if we become routinely clinical.

• Listening at home, we seem to have been outshouted most of the game and I thought there were fewer than 300 Crewe fans there.

But what a finish. Amazing scenes, I imagine.

• Really concerned about McLeary, but hopefully he is okay.

• @Quarterman said:
    Today, we have deservedly paid for the price for being quite flat in the first half, and not being positive enough (again) when leading in the second half. The last 10 minutes intensity was what was required to kill the game much, much earlier. It’s going to be the difference between challenging right up the top and making up the play offs. The approach continues to be too negative in my opinion.

Losing McCleary for a decent chunk of time now is going to be a real blow as well.

This one aged well

• Not there today due to covid - both me and her indoors (both double jabbed) but I imagine scenes! Limbs! How bad was the McCleary injury?

• @Manboobs said:
    Not there today due to covid - both me and her indoors (both double jabbed) but I imagine scenes! Limbs! How bad was the McCleary injury?

He came off holding his arm like a cyclist would hold theirs after breaking their collar bone.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Manboobs said:
    Not there today due to covid - both me and her indoors (both double jabbed) but I imagine scenes! Limbs! How bad was the McCleary injury?

He came off holding his arm like a cyclist would hold theirs after breaking their collar bone.

Oh balls!

• One day we’re going to have a boring 0-0 at home with 8 minutes of dire stoppage time and even in the 98th minute I’ll be expecting us to score

• No, his arm

• The issue of posting after the last corner was cleared! I still thought we were poor today, except for last 10 minutes after the equaliser where we really hugely increased the intensity which Crewe just couldn’t handle. I want us to have the confidence to do that more often. It’ll be the difference between us finishing in the top 2 and the play offs. And just to clarify, it’s just a comment. GA and Dobbo are doing a wonderful job and we have a great team, all is good :-)

McCleary looked like a dislocated shoulder.

• @LX1 said:
    No, his arm

Boom tish etc. But seriously - balls!

• .....of broken arm

• Crewe are near the bottom because they played that way and lost. We’re near the top because we played that and won.

• Explanations please from all the complacent ones. Their forecasts did not bode well for the result.

• Lovely to win late, but we were poor. Midfield couldn't find a pass, poor balls in, and iffy finishing when we had chances. Still, good to play badly and get the points

• I would have taken a draw with McLeary back next game over a win with him out a while. We do have good reinforcements, but it is a little hard to know how happy to be today without knowing how seriously he is hurt.

• Worst home performance of the season, but that it was is a mark of the standards we've set. Things are still extremely good on the whole. Onto Fleetwood (if you're mad enough)!

• Bloody love football, and I especially bloody love Wycombe

Absolutely brilliant scenes

• Superb ending after one of those games to that point.

Great work from Gape in catching Kashket totally cold to give Obita an option from the throw.

But the beauty with us now is you'd always back us to come up with something late on.

• relentless at the end

• I enjoyed the game myself. I'll assume it was @Quarterman next to me when I said 'we deserved that' as the winner went in who said 'No we didn't' adding 'we won't win games playing like that!' (Though we just had done ???)

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    relentless at the end

Great word for it.

• Not me @Wendoverman I cannot attend games and I would never be so negative at the ground if I could attend. I fully recognise as I can’t physically attend the games I see it a (bit) more dispassionately and am frustrated at times by our lack of positivity against teams we are far superior to. And as I said before after the equaliser our intensity was really good. Relentless is the perfect word. But we were poor/flat before that in my opinion.
    But 30 points from 14 games is an excellent start to the season, to re-iterate GA and Dobbo are doing a great job in actuality (and my opinion).

• Just shows that these group of players will fight to the very end. Not the best we have played this season by a long way. McCleary may be a very big loss and I thought Vokes was off the pace today.

However our never say die attitude gets us the 3 points and on we go to the next challenge.

• Perhaps it is more exciting in the flesh but I thought that though we were arguable wasteful in the final third, we were positive and attacking. You have to give Crewe some credit for their defending. I think Thompson going off cost us a bit of energy in the middle and bite but pleased to see Gape back. Macca was a bit up and down to be sure.