Skip to content

Match day thread: Crewe Alexandra

Comments

• @Wycombe85 said:
    2nd half we improved and had the chances to finish the game off, didn't take them and Crewe scored after what was a superb move.

Agree with this. Crewe’s goal was a brilliant passing move. Must have been 20-30 passes. They played ok in patches but seem to lack match winners. Their playmaker (was it 35?) had no right foot whatsoever, making him too easy to defend.

I thought Scowen was superb. My MOM. Some wonderful passes and he seemed to be everywhere.

Didn’t think we connected brilliantly in attack. Looked most dangerous when we got the ball in behind their defence and made them face their own goal, but it didn’t happen enough.

Great intensity at the end though and a sensational improvised finish from Taf.

The number of times we’ve picked up added time winners in the last 4-5 years is absolutely extraordinary.

• @drcongo said:
    I thought the terrace was very quiet today too. However, I also don’t give a toss as I’ve just watched us score a winner 7 minutes into 5 minutes of injury time.

??????????

• Must have been truly grim for Crewe fans. Lose to a last minute winner. Result takes you bottom of the league. And the opposition are letting off fireworks at the end ?

• edited October 2021

A seemingly very fair opposition write up - even going so far as to complement us. Although the mis-spelling of players names Hanlon, McClearly, Ramsdale, McCleary did annoy me.

https://www.crewealex.net/news/2021/october/wycombe-2-1-crewe/

• https://twitter.com/wwfcofficial/status/1451979180065935365?s=21

Is it just me who wanted Gormo to come out with the classic “och, they were so unlucky” when he’s talking about feeling sorry for Crewe, around the 50-second mark?

• @uptheblues said:
    Wycombe fans = shocking today fair play to Crewe they where much louder could here them all game nothing from Wycombe till the 80 mins prob not even that bad atmosphere today rant finished night ??

Yes mate totally agree thought I was alone thinking that!

• @uptheblues said:

@Brownie said:

@uptheblues said:
    Wycombe fans = shocking today fair play to Crewe they where much louder could here them all game nothing from Wycombe till the 80 mins prob not even that bad atmosphere today rant finished night ??

If this is your first concern after we've just scored a 97th minute winner then I will assume you are more of a drum fan than a Wycombe fan.

Who hell are you to comment on my post all I was saying is how bad it was so pipe down fella

Weird bloke.

• edited October 2021

@uptheblues said:

@Wendoverman said:

@uptheblues said:

@Wendoverman said:

@uptheblues said:

I disagree thought the terrace was quite lively all the way through.

Don’t be dumb lol ???lively what u mean come the end even Crewe fans was saying how quite you was

@Wendoverman said:

@uptheblues said:

I disagree thought the terrace was quite lively all the way through.

Don’t be dumb lol ???lively what u mean come the end even Crewe fans was saying how quite you was

Are you the one we're not allowed to upset?

At least I don’t hide behind a keyboard ?????

I think you'll find keyboards were banned from the stadium along with all other musical instruments, though the thought of @Wendoverman playing 'Light My Fire' after Taffs scored is a great image...

• @Malone said:
    That tribute to Kashket was lovely though wasn't it...didn't read the thread at the game, so apologies if it was covered at length.

But really nice stuff that was.

Absolutely - the contract to an injured Freeman, the phone call to Len Worley, the display of affection for Kashket.

This club oozes class.

• @Brownie said:

@uptheblues said:

@Brownie said:

@uptheblues said:

If this is your first concern after we've just scored a 97th minute winner then I will assume you are more of a drum fan than a Wycombe fan.

Who hell are you to comment on my post all I was saying is how bad it was so pipe down fella

Weird bloke.

Just as weird as you typing to me ????

• @username123 said:

@uptheblues said:

Well your not alone bro it true fact mate

• @uptheblues said:

@username123 said:

@uptheblues said:

?

• @username123 said:

@uptheblues said:

@username123 said:

@uptheblues said:

?

Excuse me what

• @leeronhagg said:

@Malone said:
    That tribute to Kashket was lovely though wasn't it...didn't read the thread at the game, so apologies if it was covered at length.

But really nice stuff that was.

Absolutely - the contract to an injured Freeman, the phone call to Len Worley, the display of affection for Kashket.

This club oozes class.

Gorman invited back and treated like a king etc :)

• We are so lucky to have our team, management and club at the moment. I actually caught myself expecting us to win it in injury time and managed to tell myself to stop being so stupid. We can’t expect that to happen as many times as it does.

Thought Crewe defended well after a dodgy first 10 mins and well and truly defied the Gasroom experts predicting a heavy defeat for them. They time wasted with the best of them, went down injured when they needed to reset and pressured a weak group of officials all day.

That Stockdale save first half was top top draw

• I've never knowingly visited a Marlow bistro, but in my mind they have terraces. And flowers

• Clearly a right big blow to lose GMac, but maybe Horgan will thrive off being the main man in a way. Also potentially a massive chance for Mehmeti. I still have to pinch myself sometimes at the quality in depth we're blessed with these days.

• We are so fortunate that - for as good as McCleary has been - we have great strength in depth with Horgan and Mehmeti relatively underused of late.

• I wouldn’t swap Stockdale with any keeper outside the Premiership, he is amazing!!!!

• @leeronhagg said:
    We are so fortunate that - for as good as McCleary has been - we have great strength in depth with Horgan and Mehmeti relatively underused of late.

I’d love to see Kaikai take the chance if he gets it

• We can still pick 2 from

Hanlan, Horgan, Mehmeti, Kaikai and Wheeler.

That's a superb place to be.

Although, let's really hope McCleary isn't as bad as that pic looks!

• Agreed @Malone. In fact a rest (whilst recuperating) may be beneficial for GMac as we approach the new year. Football is about opportunities isn't it so here's the chance guy's.

• Anyone Wycombe fan who was there to experience that last kick win, and then chooses to come on here to say we were poor in preference to saying how exciting it is to win a match with the last kick of the game, is a c*nt.

sorry, I've had a few.

Please don't ban me, DRC...

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Anyone Wycombe fan who was there to experience that last kick win, and then chooses to come on here to say we were poor in preference to saying how exciting it is to win a match with the last kick of the game, is a c*nt.

sorry, I've had a few.

Please don't ban me, DRC...

What does that make those who left early?!

• First 45 it was a trot, no problem, the goal will come and when it does floodgates will open. Start of the 2nd half much of the same. And then we didn’t kill the game, they felt they had a chance and scored. And that jolted us into action and what action. We battered and battered their defence time and time again and it was just a matter of time. Credit to them they threw bodies in the line to thwart chance after chance. And unsurprisingly time wasted to try and get a hard earned point. But we were far superior. Technically, physically, passionately, better.
    Hanlan on another day will score 3. Vokes similarly. Crewe we’re lucky to lose 2-1.
    The winner was obviously a favourite moment but also loved late on Obita ploughing down the wing with 35 chasing him, he then realised how futile it was and let him go. A show of how physically we have come as a club.
    A day to savour.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    First 45 it was a trot, no problem, the goal will come and when it does floodgates will open. Start of the 2nd half much of the same. And then we didn’t kill the game, they felt they had a chance and scored. And that jolted us into action and what action. We battered and battered their defence time and time again and it was just a matter of time. Credit to them they threw bodies in the line to thwart chance after chance. And unsurprisingly time wasted to try and get a hard earned point. But we were far superior. Technically, physically, passionately, better.
    Hanlan on another day will score 3. Vokes similarly. Crewe we’re lucky to lose 2-1.
    The winner was obviously a favourite moment but also loved late on Obita ploughing down the wing with 35 chasing him, he then realised how futile it was and let him go. A show of how physically we have come as a club.
    A day to savour.

Agree with much of that, however Stocko had to do a fair bit so to say Crewe were lucky to lose 2-1 is perhaps a touch unfair.

That said there’s something to be proud of that we have so many match winners in the team now that we can not be at our best and still win. God knows we’ve been on the receiving end of performances like ours today many a time.

• Crewe didn't really have a great chance other than the goal and that cross they almost fluked in, I don't think?