Skip to content

Match day thread: Exeter (League Cup)

Comments

• Anyone want Derby in R2?

• Happy days.

• No idea about the performance, but we've shown some real character tonight to get through. Losing would have been tough to take on top of the injuries. Getting through in a very Wycombe like manner will make the bus journey home much happier.

Well done Stockdale and the rest of the team. Big win that!

• @Shev said:
    Anyone want Derby in R2?

Would probably ensure its on TV now that Salford are out

• Peterborough in the next round !!!!

Oh. Wait.

• I’ve never refreshed Twitter so much in a 5 minute period in my entire life

• David Stockdale. Who writes your scripts?

• Will the goals / shootout be on telly anywhere? Sky sports news seem to need to fawn over that Argentinian chap rinsing every last pound out of his old club before wiping his tears on oil money for 20 mins of this, and probably every hour

• Well the penalties were entertaining….

Dire game. Burley looked good - don’t see need for another CB. I am afraid Samuel offers little beyond falling over. Might use prediction money next season to buy drummer some lessons. Apparently Tavi match this evening was a cracker. Bugger.

Still at least we won.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Peterborough in the next round !!!!

Oh. Wait.

Stinking up the League Cup as well as the Championship.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

Oh. Wait.

This should send people to bed with a smile tonight.

• I never thought I'd find myself saying this cos I love his industrialism but Samuel has no place in this team right now. Yes he runs, yes he works his arse off... But blow me the lad can't score us a goal... Not even from the spot ... I do like him so saying this hurts, but he's not good enough in our current squad. Time for a loan move me thinks... See if he can find some goals lower down the pyramid to get his confidence and form up

• @Gary said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

Oh. Wait.

This should send people to bed with a smile tonight.

Oh it does ????

• edited August 2021

The penalty aside, he's not really in the team to score goals - although if we do get Cosgrove then yeah, I can see him leaving on loan.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Tbh, the penalty aside, he's not really in the team to score goals.

A forward who's not in the team to score goals is like a defender not in the team to make tackles..... I know where you are going with that comment.... But I'm my opinion he is not of the standard that we are aiming for... He will not win us matches, he is not good enough to be squad filler, if back to the championship is what we are aiming for?

• What an unusual game, one of the strangest Wycombe games I’ve seen. Like something from the Berks & Bucks Cup with a mix of first team an non-first team players playing in all sorts of positions.

Stockdale simply unbelievable at the end. Hats off too to Andre Burley to come in and hold a defence together in such difficult circumstances and featuring…erm Nick Freeman for the last 20 minutes……was outstanding. He may have earned himself a well deserved start on Saturday given our injury woes.

Freeman himself played the unlikely combination of right wing back, central midfield and left central defender at different points in the game and actually did pretty well in all three.

KaiKai did ok. I doubt he’s played right wing back, as he did at the end, too often. Sam Vokes won’t look back on it too fondly having missed a sitter and a penalty. His hold up play was good though.

Winning tonight against the odds will have been great experience for the likes of Burley, Pendlebury and Mehmeti.

On the injury front, JJ came out of a heavy challenge with a bit of a limp, while McCarthy just walked off the pitch a few minutes after he came on and that has to be a real concern. Blooms took a free kick from JJ in the back of a head from close range, I’d imagine he may have to sit out Saturday for concussion reasons.

After a winning on a night like that we’re bound to draw a plum PL tie in the next round.

• Draw for the next round is tomorrow before the Leyton Orient - QPR game

• Wow…that’s a confident pen

• If anyone is waiting on the Sky Sports website for the highlights, it's worth having a look at the Newport game. Superb goal and, right at the end, an absolutely astonishing clearance off the line.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12378298/ipswich-0-1-newport

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    We are obviously not taking this seriously then. Nice to see Tommo having a runout though.

Been busy so only just round to checking...looks like we took it quite seriously though.

• @Alexo said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Tbh, the penalty aside, he's not really in the team to score goals.

A forward who's not in the team to score goals is like a defender not in the team to make tackles..... I know where you are going with that comment.... But I'm my opinion he is not of the standard that we are aiming for... He will not win us matches, he is not good enough to be squad filler, if back to the championship is what we are aiming for?

@ReturnToSenda I cancelled out what I presume was your thumbs down, with my own thumbs up ?
    I will re-evaluate my comments in the morning. As I say I hated to say that, and I may just be commenting emotionally. I've had a drink ... ??
    There are 3 contributers on here.... You, @Shev and @micra. Who 95% of the time I am in full agreement with! Will be interested to know how those two see the future of Samuel in our team?

• @Alexo Innocent here!

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    @Alexo Innocent here!

Oh god, then someone else thinks I'm being overly harsh!! Well... See above comments.... I'll sleep on it ???

• Imagine being asked to put together a highlights package for this game and deciding not to include a goalkeeper thumping home the fifth penalty. Really picture it, hold it in your mind. Now you know what it's like to work for Sky Sports.

• The reality unfortunately is that Samuel is not up to this level of football. It’s sad because he comes across as a genuinely nice guy who works extremely hard for the team but the hard facts are that he never looks like scoring and I’m not sure how many assists he contributes. Perhaps if we get another forward in, he may go out on loan to gain some confidence.

• Just getting into my stride now @Alexo.
    Like you, I admire Alex’s never say die, chase everything down attitude and he is strong for his size in hold-up play but I’m not sure his subsequent distribution is often as accurate or effective as it needs to be. And, as you say, he doesn’t present much of a goal threat. Kashket is a different kettle of fish in that respect and I was puzzled last season when he seemed to slip out of favour for reasons that never became public knowledge. Once again, he seems to have disappeared mysteriously into the background. Odd.

• @micra said:
    Just getting into my stride now @Alexo.
    Like you, I admire Alex’s never say die, chase everything down attitude and he is strong for his size in hold-up play but I’m not sure his subsequent distribution is often as accurate or effective as it needs to be. And, as you say, he doesn’t present much of a goal threat. Kashket is a different kettle of fish in that respect and I was puzzled last season when he seemed to slip out of favour for reasons that never became public knowledge. Once again, he seems to have disappeared mysteriously into the background. Odd.

I felt like this was a game that GA felt that he wanted to have a little play around and have a little tinker to get some answers on players he wanted a little extra look at, whilst still fielding a team he expected to win.
    I don't think it's worked out for Samuel...
    Kashket has looked lively and sharp in what we have seen
    I think he will play a part this season @micra
    Think on this occasion it was a bit of a play around team wise to make some decisions

• Alex Samuel.... Although a different position... To me is a bit of a Danny bullman.... Great great bloke, gives 200% all game every game.... Any club would be lucky to have him on board!!! (Issue is.... Any league 2 club is what I mean)