Skip to content

Match day thread: Exeter (League Cup)

Comments

• @Alexo

I feel suddenly important (I'm sure it won't last)! I am torn on Samuel. At his best, he keeps a defence on their heels, wins free kicks, and basically causes an absolute nuisance. That being said, our squad quality looks like it might leave him behind at some point soon, as you say.

Mind you, I defend Nick Freeman to the point of a chorus of groans, and others think he is set to be left behind too.

• @therabbittest said:
    Imagine being asked to put together a highlights package for this game and deciding not to include a goalkeeper thumping home the fifth penalty. Really picture it, hold it in your mind. Now you know what it's like to work for Sky Sports.

In a 0-0, no less!

• To be fair Shev, Freeman was pretty solid at RWB first half. Second half harder to track who was playing where. Maybe He is better suited at Wing Back.

• MOM for me was Stockdale, by a country mile. Very commanding of his penalty area, a monster penalty that I thought was going to take the roof of the net off & of course his penalty saves. I think also “Penners” and Burley are both worth an honourable mention, purely for their lack of 1st team experience but both showed maturity so that we wouldn’t notice. JJ was excellent until he got injured. The rest of the squad for me were a “work in progress”. Overall, a dull game where the result was more important. I know people are saying the league is everything, but tell that to the number crunchers when looking at the bank balance. With Saturday being a bit of a washout in regards to the food and beverage, getting through the 1st round became extremely important.
    Roll on Saturday.

• @Alexo said:

@micra said:
    Just getting into my stride now @Alexo.
    Like you, I admire Alex’s never say die, chase everything down attitude and he is strong for his size in hold-up play but I’m not sure his subsequent distribution is often as accurate or effective as it needs to be. And, as you say, he doesn’t present much of a goal threat. Kashket is a different kettle of fish in that respect and I was puzzled last season when he seemed to slip out of favour for reasons that never became public knowledge. Once again, he seems to have disappeared mysteriously into the background. Odd.

I felt like this was a game that GA felt that he wanted to have a little play around and have a little tinker to get some answers on players he wanted a little extra look at, whilst still fielding a team he expected to win.
    I don't think it's worked out for Samuel...
    Kashket has looked lively and sharp in what we have seen
    I think he will play a part this season @micra
    Think on this occasion it was a bit of a play around team wise to make some decisions

@Shev said:
    @Alexo

I feel suddenly important (I'm sure it won't last)! I am torn on Samuel. At his best, he keeps a defence on their heels, wins free kicks, and basically causes an absolute nuisance. That being said, our squad quality looks like it might leave him behind at some point soon, as you say.

Mind you, I defend Nick Freeman to the point of a chorus of groans, and others think he is set to be left behind too.

You are important to me @Shev hahahaha!!!

Like you, I must also confess I have a soft spot for nick Freeman.... there is so much raw natural talent in the lad. Something just needs to somehow click for him, and he could be one of the most impressive talents we have ever had. He has the ability to run at defenders with the ball stuck to his feet. He needs to find his shooting ability or at least hone his final ball skill into the feet of someone who will tuck it

• Very good assessment @Alexo!

• @Shev said:
    Very good assessment @Alexo!

Thank you sir

• Got a feeling that Reading have had an absolute shocker in letting Pendlebury go. Looks incredibly assured in what I have seen of him - not much admittedly, but the good thing about watching years and years of league 1 and 2 is that you recognise quality and potential when you see it.

• @DevC said:
    To be fair Shev, Freeman was pretty solid at RWB first half. Second half harder to track who was playing where. Maybe He is better suited at Wing Back.

Looks like he’ll get his chance at RWB on Saturday if McCarthy’s injury is serious.

• I really liked Andre Burley tonight in defence. He looked calm & assured. The attack simply didn’t have much penetration & the Exeter keeper had little to do. Still, we’re through to the next round & well done to the 200 Wycombe fans for getting behind the team all evening long. It seemed to be appreciated by GA & the players.

• If you get a chance to see the penalties again particularly look out for Mehmeti’s one. He absolutely smashes it into the roof of the net down the middle. Talk about confidence!!!

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    MOM for me was Stockdale, by a country mile. Very commanding of his penalty area, a monster penalty that I thought was going to take the roof of the net off & of course his penalty saves. I think also “Penners” and Burley are both worth an honourable mention, purely for their lack of 1st team experience but both showed maturity so that we wouldn’t notice. JJ was excellent until he got injured. The rest of the squad for me were a “work in progress”. Overall, a dull game where the result was more important. I know people are saying the league is everything, but tell that to the number crunchers when looking at the bank balance. With Saturday being a bit of a washout in regards to the food and beverage, getting through the 1st round became extremely important.
    Roll on Saturday.

Penners ? It's 'Penders' dear boy !!
    You will soon be hoofed awf the Higgingson Park putting green with any more mispronouniations like that.

• @ChasHarps said:

@EwanHoosaami said:
    MOM for me was Stockdale, by a country mile. Very commanding of his penalty area, a monster penalty that I thought was going to take the roof of the net off & of course his penalty saves. I think also “Penners” and Burley are both worth an honourable mention, purely for their lack of 1st team experience but both showed maturity so that we wouldn’t notice. JJ was excellent until he got injured. The rest of the squad for me were a “work in progress”. Overall, a dull game where the result was more important. I know people are saying the league is everything, but tell that to the number crunchers when looking at the bank balance. With Saturday being a bit of a washout in regards to the food and beverage, getting through the 1st round became extremely important.
    Roll on Saturday.

You will soon be hoofed awf the Higgingson Park putting green with any more mispronouniations like that.

Sincere apologies @ChasHarps please don’t report me to the membership secretary! ??

• You’ve coined a new word yourself there @ChasHarps !

• There was a game last season (or one before?) where Samuel spent most of it playing on the right wing and it looked good on him - put in some good crosses, caused general havoc down the touchline. I wonder if he'd be a decent RWB deputy.

• About the only player on the pitch who didn't have a go in that role last night! Freeman looked pretty good there though.

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@ChasHarps said:

@EwanHoosaami said:
    Roll on Saturday.

Sincere apologies @ChasHarps please don’t report me to the membership secretary! ??

I think the wearing of some quartered 'plus fours' at the next home game, should keep your misdemeanor away from the membership secretary's study.

• @drcongo said:
    There was a game last season (or one before?) where Samuel spent most of it playing on the right wing and it looked good on him - put in some good crosses, caused general havoc down the touchline. I wonder if he'd be a decent RWB deputy.

Agreed @drcongo I remember that too. I was surprised at the time that he didn’t get another opportunity. It was just after the Covid break I think last season

• @drcongo said:
    There was a game last season (or one before?) where Samuel spent most of it playing on the right wing and it looked good on him - put in some good crosses, caused general havoc down the touchline. I wonder if he'd be a decent RWB deputy.

That’s a really interesting suggestion. I believe he first came to Gaz’s notice when he terrorised us playing on the right wing for Stevenage. I remember thinking ‘thank goodness for that’ when he was eventually subbed to a standing ovation.

• @drcongo said:

QPR away

• @DevC said:
    About the only player on the pitch who didn't have a go in that role last night! Freeman looked pretty good there though.

I’ve been really impressed with Nick in the first two games and as you say he performed well last night in three different positions.

• Yeah I was remembering QPR away. Samuel had a really good game that night and linked up well with Mehmeti. Sadly it was a night where those 2 stood out a mile, with rest of our attacking players having a real off night.

• Samuel is not a number 9 forward. Spent most of the game chasing or falling on the ground. Impressed with Burley & Freeman and when Horgan came on added some class on the ball. Stockdale is immense in the area and gives confidence to the defence. Mention for the Exeter Refreshment Hut....efficient and the added touch of free Tea for away fans.

• If Samuel stopped falling over all the time he’d be ok. I like him as a player but he lets himself down by the amount of time he spends on the floor.

• Is Freeman really cut out to play wing-back? He might have done alright there last night, but let's consider the opposition. He does protect the ball well, but he's not quick (physically or mentally) or direct enough.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    If Samuel stopped falling over all the time he’d be ok. I like him as a player but he lets himself down by the amount of time he spends on the floor.

I suspect he is playing to orders and because he does what he is told Gaz will always have a role for him.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Is Freeman really cut out to play wing-back? He might have done alright there last night, but let's consider the opposition. He does protect the ball well, but he's not quick (physically or mentally) or direct enough.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that he has a long term future in that position, just that he adapted well last night.

• After my less than flattering comments earlier about Alex Samuel’s qualities as a striker, I am very pleasantly surprised to hear about his performances in a very different position. - right wing/right wingback. I’d no idea he’d ever played there. If Jason McCarthy is going to miss a few games, it sounds as if Alex might be a candidate to replace him although Jack Grimmer is probably in pole position with central defenders apparently starting to fall over one another!

• @glasshalffull said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Is Freeman really cut out to play wing-back? He might have done alright there last night, but let's consider the opposition. He does protect the ball well, but he's not quick (physically or mentally) or direct enough.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that he has a long term future in that position, just that he adapted well last night.

You never know (and we probably should believe in miracles by now!), but yeah, it feels more like a quick fix. I'd like to see Kashket on that side.

• Did Exeter's keeper last night, Cameron Dawson, have a brief spell with us at one point? Perhaps in that season where we used about half a dozen keepers?