Skip to content

Match day thread: Bristol City

Comments

• I blame Ainsworth's leather jacket and him not wearing his lucky red boots...

Sarcasm aside, what is most frustrating is that we should have more points on the board but then again the table usually doesn´t lie but I really don´t think we are as bad as the table suggests.

After 21 games:

2 wins
    6 draws
    13 losses

13 goals scored
    31 goals conceded
    -18 goal difference

A total of 12 points.

Should we have at least 10 more points?

Rotherham - point
    Millwall - point
    Norwich - point
    Watford - win instead of draw
    Preston - win instead of a draw
    Coventry - point
    QPR - win instead of a draw

Other matches
    4 more points?

Luton - point
    Huddersfield - win instead of a draw
    Stoke - point

If we look at the last 6 seasons in the Championship; the average points for avoiding the drop is 47 points (46,49,51,43,44,49).

If 47 is the magic number, Wycombe would need 35 points from the next 25 games; that could be 9 wins, 8 draws and 8 losses.

This is something that can be achieved but we need to start winning games.
    We are running out of straws or chances, we desperately need more points on the board.

I don´t think we deserved anything from yesterday´s game; did we ever test their keeper apart from the goal which took a deflection?

• edited December 2020

@glasshalffull said:

@eric_plant said:

It wouldn't. Who said it would?

You said that ‘it’ (I assume you were referring to the lack of information on injuries) is ‘in no way helping us on the pitch.’

I take the quoted passage to mean that the withholding of injury information has no positive benefit for the team in its games while simultaneously proving an annoyance to the fans, not that the providing of that information would be an active benefit. If so, I think I agree with it, perhaps because, like most others it seems, I find it a little trying to be un- or, worse, misinformed.

• Nine of our 13 defeats have been by one goal - 69%, the most in the league. The performances have been there for the most part.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Nine of our 13 defeats have been by one goal - 69%, the most in the league. The performances have been there for the most part.

No matter how many times these stats are brought up to show us how "close" we are and how "competitive" we are with the league it seems to boil down to one thing - other sides are clinical, we are not.

• @Brownie said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    Nine of our 13 defeats have been by one goal - 69%, the most in the league. The performances have been there for the most part.

No matter how many times these stats are brought up to show us how "close" we are and how "competitive" we are with the league it seems to boil down to one thing - other sides are clinical, we are not.

Yep, that's the problem. I haven't had a proper dig into it, but I think the numbers will show we're the poorest finishers in the league by a fair distance.

@Brownie said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Yep, that's the problem. I haven't had a proper dig into it, but I think the numbers will show we're the poorest finishers in the league by a fair distance.

So Forest are actually worse, but that's it. Basically, take out the two penalties and one own goal and we've scored half the goals expected.

• @glasshalffull said:

@eric_plant said:

It wouldn't. Who said it would?

You said that ‘it’ (I assume you were referring to the lack of information on injuries) is ‘in no way helping us on the pitch.’

Yes.

Because it's been suggested that one of the reasons for the secrecy over injuries is not to give opposition managers any clues as to our line ups and thus presumably giving us a better chance in those games. Given the results we've been getting it's pretty clear that that secrecy has not helped us in that respect.

So that's the main justification for it gone.

I'm not saying for a second we'd have got better results if we'd been given more information about player injuries, that would be daft.

@Brownie said:

@chairboyscentral said:

With the exception of the QPR game, I cant think of many games where we have created too many clear cut chances.
    Bristol City created 3 in the first half alone. A ever increasing immobile Bayo leads to severe restrictions to how you can create chances.

• @Brownie said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Close and competitive is not going to get us the 10-12 wins we need from the remaining
    games. We need to find a way of creating more chances and being more clinical. Flogging Bayo to a absolute standstill is not the answer. Where's Plan B? Whats Uche doing on the bench if he cannot do 10, 15 or 20 minutes. Has GA not enough confidence in him ( the same as Parker) that he can make an impact. Worrying. Is that the reason GA said they were looking for a striker as well as a defender in the window.

• @Brownie said:

@chairboyscentral said:

The other thing with all this coulda shoulda woulda stuff is it totally ignores all the chances the opposition missed two.
    Millwall a superb example. A point lost ina post earlier, yet the reality is that they had a tall striker who missed 4-5 superb chances himself.

• Too..not two. Before micra wakes from his kip and gets all over it.

• @Malone said:

@Brownie said:

@chairboyscentral said:

The other thing with all this coulda shoulda woulda stuff is it totally ignores all the chances the opposition missed two.
    Millwall a superb example. A point lost ina post earlier, yet the reality is that they had a tall striker who missed 4-5 superb chances himself.

Apart from Millwall, I don't think teams have been missing chances against us at an abnormally high rate though.

• @ChasHarps said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@Brownie said:

@chairboyscentral said:

With the exception of the QPR game, I cant think of many games where we have created too many clear cut chances.
    Bristol City created 3 in the first half alone. A ever increasing immobile Bayo leads to severe restrictions to how you can create chances.

Preston, Derby, Watford, Millwall, Rotherham... But also there will be games where we only get one clear-cut chance - and they have to go in.

• Anyone think that the performances are more of a learning experience for if we do end up 'yoyoing' we can get back into this division and use that experience as a benefit?

I agree with @raglan about how we could have picked up more points than we have but that's just football for you at the end of the day. We are in a merciless division and we gotta adapt to that. Hopefully the performances result in points and not losses? A win would obviously be morale boosting but at the moment, I do see our season being similar to Yeovil Town's season in 2013-2014 given the small club, big division problem.

• Yeovil were awful though - and didn't they spend quite a lot of money? They definitely made a load of signings.

Yeovil were awful though - and didn't they spend quite a lot of money? They definitely made a load of signings.

In terms of results though? Isn't there some similarities?

• edited December 2020

@thedieharder said:
    Anyone think that the performances are more of a learning experience for if we do end up 'yoyoing' we can get back into this division and use that experience as a benefit?

I agree with @raglan about how we could have picked up more points than we have but that's just football for you at the end of the day. We are in a merciless division and we gotta adapt to that. Hopefully the performances result in points and not losses? A win would obviously be morale boosting but at the moment, I do see our season being similar to Yeovil Town's season in 2013-2014 given the small club, big division problem.

We'll need 25 points from our remaining 25 games to reach the same amount of points that Yeovil achieved that season, and 31 goals to match their scoring record (37 points, 8 wins, 44 goals for) which still saw them relegated by 7 points.

• @thedieharder said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    Yeovil were awful though - and didn't they spend quite a lot of money? They definitely made a load of signings.

Just having a look and 12/25 losses were by 2+ goals and they conceded 3+ goals 11 times. We've kept it much tighter so far and it's hard to see another Blackburn.

• edited December 2020

@chairboyscentral said:

@thedieharder said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Just having a look and 12/25 losses were by 2+ goals and they conceded 3+ goals 11 times. We've kept it much tighter so far and it's hard to see another Blackburn.

Losing by 2 or 3 goals is the same outcome as losing by 1. 0 points.

• @Brownie said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@thedieharder said:

@chairboyscentral said:

But it tells you something about the performances. We're a clinical striker (or two) away from dragging ourselves out of this. Easier said than done but not like we're absolutely doomed.

@Brownie said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@thedieharder said:

@chairboyscentral said:

But it tells you something about the performances. We're a clinical striker (or two) away from dragging ourselves out of this. Easier said than done but not like we're absolutely doomed.

I don't disagree with you - but it makes it all the more frustrating when each game we are narrowly beaten in almost carbon copies of the games that have gone before. It was unfortunately no surprise at all to concede a late winner yesterday, it felt slightly less sucker punch and more a case of inevitability.

We certainly have time on our side to change things and to find a more clinical edge, but the run of fixtures we have now culminating in a double header of QPR and Sheffield Wednesday in January will be pivotal to whether we have enough points in the bank to make a good fist of things imo. I'm not sure this run of form continuing in the hope we hit some form after January reinforcements (in the form of new players or returning players) will be enough.

• I’m sorry but the yo yo experience is not one that is going to happen in these current circumstances. Any other season we would be dripping in cash with packed houses most weeks. So when the inevitable relegation happens we would go down lighting cigars with £20 notes. We will go down this season with a higher wage bill, higher overheads and less cash in the bank. Next season will see us have to release the higher paid ones and that immediately will see us back to square one - favourites to go down from league 1. That’s the reality. The yo yo model is great when you can build a little each time you yo, this is simply not going to happen this time around.

• Yes oh for a clinical striker! That is the key position to improve if you can get one. The issue is that everybody else is looking for that clinical striker as well.

I am sure Gareth knows that Kashket, Fred, Bayo and Samuel are going to struggle to fill that role in the Championship.

Maybe pick out another loan gem or pluck a prolific striker from a lower league club. As stated earlier, that could make all the difference to us staying up and receiving another £7M handout.

@thedieharder said:

@chairboyscentral said:

The way I see it points matter most. Its harsh. We should be getting more points from our performances this season. Every point counts for us in this division but the results show otherwise. Whilst our performances will hopefully result in points, the results are not good, meaning that we are no closer to surviving than before. Survival is the main aim here. I also think the issue of results circles more around just performances. I think one big issue is keeping hold of Josh Knight in January, given Knight has clearly played a major role in getting points for us. I think if we were to loose him, things could be very difficult. If Knight goes, hopefully Charles or Tafazolli step up to the role that he has played this season.

• For me I would certainly invest in a new striker..has to be a striker potentially bang in form for a div 1/2 side.As everyone says we compete in almost every match but don't create or take our chances.

• edited December 2020

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    I’m sorry but the yo yo experience is not one that is going to happen in these current circumstances. Any other season we would be dripping in cash with packed houses most weeks. So when the inevitable relegation happens we would go down lighting cigars with £20 notes. We will go down this season with a higher wage bill, higher overheads and less cash in the bank. Next season will see us have to release the higher paid ones and that immediately will see us back to square one - favourites to go down from league 1. That’s the reality. The yo yo model is great when you can build a little each time you yo, this is simply not going to happen this time around.

I wouldn't put anything past this group - but the current circumstances would make it all the more stupid to try and spend our way to survival. We'll give it our best to sustainably - and if that's not enough then so be it.

• edited December 2020

@thedieharder said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@thedieharder said:

@chairboyscentral said:

The way I see it points matter most. Its harsh. We should be getting more points from our performances this season. Every point counts for us in this division but the results show otherwise. Whilst our performances will hopefully result in points, the results are not good, meaning that we are no closer to surviving than before. Survival is the main aim here. I also think the issue of results circles more around just performances. I think one big issue is keeping hold of Josh Knight in January, given Knight has clearly played a major role in getting points for us. I think if we were to loose him, things could be very difficult. If Knight goes, hopefully Charles or Tafazolli step up to the role that he has played this season.

Points ultimately matter most, but we're close to getting them with the right improvements. Rather that than scraping the odd win on bad performances - which gives a false sense of how well you're doing and isn't sustainable. Some people are acting like we're way out of our depth in every department.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Yes oh for a clinical striker! That is the key position to improve if you can get one. The issue is that everybody else is looking for that clinical striker as well.

I am sure Gareth knows that Kashket, Fred, Bayo and Samuel are going to struggle to fill that role in the Championship.

Maybe pick out another loan gem or pluck a prolific striker from a lower league club. As stated earlier, that could make all the difference to us staying up and receiving another £7M handout.

Kashket clearly has it in him, but something's not right at the moment. Hoping for the next Marcello Trotta on loan ?

• @Brownie said:
    It's been suggested a few pages back that Gareth might be dressing Freeman up for a transfer out. If true, then after impressive showings against Bournemouth and QPR, this would suggest to me that there is clearly no intention on seeking out a plan B other than the usual Plan A with Uche instead.

I don't think that suggestion is any more than putting two and two together and getting six.

Let's hope so. It would be a dreadful decision.

It was actually my question albeit rhetorical ‘could it be that....’ not even conjecture on my part just posing a possibility.

• Not so sure signing a goal scorer is the ultimate answer. Let's be honest, we don't create many chances for them to score do we? Kashket v QPR , Bayo v Watford & Horgan v Rotherham are the only standout opportunities for me. The fact I can remember them pretty clearly out of 20 odd games shows how few we create.