Skip to content

Match day thread: Blackburn

Comments

• edited September 2020

@HolmerBlue said:
    Btw @Malone I'm pretty sure a straight red is 3 matches no matter what

Totally wrong. Have you not noticed this from watching football for years?! :)

• I think I will let others say what I have saying for a number of weeks.

• @eric_plant said:
    What are you looking for here?

Pundit of the year award for thinking we might struggle in the championship?

Be better if an actual cat just walked across a keyboard and someone posted that

Worst post ever

• Firstly, Blackburn looked seriously good. The right winger (Dolan?), Brereton and Armstrong were sensational. Even if we had played to our best I doubt we would have got anything from today.

Hopefully we can use the result constructively in some way. We’re going to need to dig in and keep things much tighter than that to give ourselves a chance to hang in the game until 70-80 mins and then try to pinch something. Today I think we were a bit over ambitious and got totally overrun.

Tactically I think we need to be more compact. There were big gaps between the midfield and defence, offering too much space for Blackburn to play in. Time and again they were able to pick the ball up in holes and turn and run directly at our defence.

We knew results like this would happen so no complaints. It is going to be extremely tough and some teams will turn us over. Hopefully the team stick together so that we’re in a position to take points when the opposition have an off day.

• @Malone said:
    When the co-commetator said we'd had chances, presumably those were in the first 6 mins that I missed?

yeah, I missed "the good bit" also, having had problems getting into the stream. Oh well.

• We'll have to get used to this for a few years if we're to be a yo-yo team. Rebuilding a strong financial base (and youth set-up) will take quite some time. We've done so very well on virtually no resource and the massive effort and time put in by the Trust Board but the extra Championship funds will have to be spread thinly this season. The Couhigs seem sensible folk and don't throw money away for no reasonable return. Believe.

• I'll leave the tactical analysis to the experts, but i was surprised we started in the same shape and with the same personnel as we did last week. I can't see it happening again any time soon.

I thought during the Rotherham game that we didn't look match fit, certainly not match sharp. That was even clearer today.

We might still have a wait before we strengthen the midfield, i don't expect us to be able to bring anyone in before the PL finalize their 25 man squads.

On an another note, i don't think anyone is 'jumping down the throat,' of 'any criticism,' but a little bit of perspective from some would be appreciated.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Was thinking the same thing.... some people just dont like any criticism of the team or management and instantly jump down peoples throats unfortunately

Any of these fuckwits who only appear to make their displeasure known but stay silent in the good times deserve all they get. Absolute state of them. Why do it?

And they always start whining on about ‘the party line’ like they’re some sort of freedom fighter. Essentially what they mean is ‘I’m going to spend all afternoon droning on and on about the same old subject and if anyone counters I’ll start claiming I’m being harassed by some mysterious pro-club collective’.

We all know that was crap - just make your point and move on. Do we really need to hear 20 times from the same person that we need a midfielder?

• @eric_plant said:

Be better if an actual cat just walked across a keyboard and someone posted that

What's the point in a forum if you can't raise a discussion after a game? What we have done to get to this league is marvellous, and I'll certainly enjoy the ride, but the whole point of this website is to discuss things about the team?

It's hardly high-level punditry to suggest perhaps JJ needs some help against rapid Championship wingers?

• @Glenactico said:
    Firstly, Blackburn looked seriously good. The right winger (Dolan?), Brereton and Armstrong were sensational. Even if we had played to our best I doubt we would have got anything from today.

Hopefully we can use the result constructively in some way. We’re going to need to dig in and keep things much tighter than that to give ourselves a chance to hang in the game until 70-80 mins and then try to pinch something. Today I think we were a bit over ambitious and got totally overrun.

Tactically I think we need to be more compact. There were big gaps between the midfield and defence, offering too much space for Blackburn to play in. Time and again they were able to pick the ball up in holes and turn and run directly at our defence.

We knew results like this would happen so no complaints. It is going to be extremely tough and some teams will turn us over. Hopefully the team stick together so that we’re in a position to take points when the opposition have an off day.

Good teams have that ability to look a lot quicker across the park don't they.

We had plenty of pace in attack, but the way Blackburn used theirs was massively different.

• @prufrock_91 said:

@eric_plant said:

What's the point in a forum if you can't raise a discussion after a game? What we have done to get to this league is marvellous, and I'll certainly enjoy the ride, but the whole point of this website is to discuss things about the team?

It's hardly high-level punditry to suggest perhaps JJ needs some help against rapid Championship wingers?

Not much discussion from some tho, just telling us how embarrassed they are and how much they're dreading the rest of the season (in the Championship.)

• Meanwhile, Oxford Utd are bottom of League One !

• Because it's tiresome when people (who maintain a stoic silence when things are going well by the way) chirp up and state the f**king obvious as though they are the Gasroom equivalent of Marcelo Bielsa

• To be fair this is only our second ever game in the Championship and I certainly recognise that it will take a while for the team and management to get their heads round it.

Being honest, I thought overall we were poor today with no one other than Rocky coming out of it particularly well, I was particularly concerned at how narrow we were both defensively, exposing JJ in particular, but also in attack which suited Blackburn. We just didn't play like Wycombe, Stewart played ok as did Tafa when he came on and I thought Uche showed promise in a thankless task, which bodes well for when we can keep 11 men on the pitch.

I am confident that GA/RD will take lots away from today to build on and we will only get better over time.

Yes we need a few more players, especially in midfield, but that will take time as we are heavily constrained in terms of budget.

As @bluntphil has said we could still win the speedboat :smiley:

• I thought Blackburn looked a decent side. Can anyone explain why they weren't?

• @Malone I stand corrected ! Anyone would think I'm new to this haha, I'm blaming old age creeping in !

Again sticking up for @Username , he's been on here for a long time and has never ome across as always moany, so to say he only turns up now to moan is a bit much, and it's a forum, people are allowed to have opposite views

• Got totally smashed there goes to show ourugly tactics of last season won't cut it at this lvl plus we only have two players capable at this lvl.

• @eric_plant said:
    Because it's tiresome when people (who maintain a stoic silence when things are going well by the way) chirp up and state the f**king obvious as though they are the Gasroom equivalent of Marcelo Bielsa

I would post alot more but I get bullied by you and your chums on here it's that attitude that holds the club back etc.

• No matter who we get in we are in the Championship with players and a manager inexperienced at this level. Its going to be a long drag and perhaps neither players nor management will learn or improve enough as the season goes on for us to survive. I think they will myself but there are going to be a lot of days like this where we are outclassed by better more expensively assembled sides. Perhaps that is all part of @YorkExile 's givens that we don't need to keep saying but we're not doomed yet.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    @Malone I stand corrected ! Anyone would think I'm new to this haha, I'm blaming old age creeping in !

Again sticking up for @Username , he's been on here for a long time and has never ome across as always moany, so to say he only turns up now to moan is a bit much, and it's a forum, people are allowed to have opposite views

Yeah I put a smiley on the original, just to not come across as too harsh :)

• @Malone said:

We had plenty of pace in attack, but the way Blackburn used theirs was massively different.

Indeed. It wasn’t so much about the sprint speed of the players but the pace at which they did everything. Not only was it all done rapidly but it was executed with precision too. I don’t think it helps that several players for us still look to be lacking match sharpness. It is noticeable that Horgan, having played a few more games, looks fitter than some others.

• Putting a little perspective on today Derby, Forest, Huddersfield and Barnsley all lost so they too have no points after 2 games and I suspect the Forest and Derby fans will be a lot more pissed off than we are

• @trevor said:
    Got totally smashed there goes to show ourugly tactics of last season won't cut it at this lvl plus we only have two players capable at this lvl.

We probably should at least get more than 2 games in before we can be certain "ourugly" tactics won't work.

We did take a 4-0 battering last season it shouldn't be forgotten, and we didn't play that game without our best centre mid (arguably best 2 centre mids), the striker we probably will have as our main guy playing 90, and have a man sent off.

• @Glenactico said:

@Malone said:

Indeed. It wasn’t so much about the sprint speed of the players but the pace at which they did everything. Not only was it all done rapidly but it was executed with precision too. I don’t think it helps that several players for us still look to be lacking match sharpness. It is noticeable that Horgan, having played a few more games, looks fitter than some others.

That ball played through for their guy to make it 5-0 was an absolutely surpreme pass.

I'd hate to even hint at anything bar full respect for Charles, but I'll be interested to see how Tafazolli plays next game.

• I thought Wheeler had a good game, a few nice flick-ons which sadly came to nothing and lots of clever defensive covering. We haven't yet seen much from Fred this season, which is a shame, as he's got the most natural talent in the squad. I wonder if he needs to play more centrally, in a free role, a little like Kevin Betsy when he returned for his second spell. The balls aren't falling for him on the wing yet.

The most disappointing thing for me today was that we didn't seem to utilise the high press. I don't know if it's a fitness thing after the short turnaround, or maybe age catching up with Bloomfield in particular, but if we're not going to be able to compete on raw ability in this league we need to be back to our snappy, terrier-like best.

We have all been calling for new midfielders for obvious reasons but let's not forget we also need a new left back. Slow defenders are going to end up with lots of suspensions this season. We really do need to strengthen here, JJ will not be able to play every match.

• @trevor said:

@eric_plant said:
    Because it's tiresome when people (who maintain a stoic silence when things are going well by the way) chirp up and state the f**king obvious as though they are the Gasroom equivalent of Marcelo Bielsa

I would post alot more but I get bullied by you and your chums on here it's that attitude that holds the club back etc.

Don't worry Trev, I don't have many chums here old son

But we're in the championship, the highest level we've ever played at. So saying that the club is being held back is batshit crazy even by your standards

• @aloysius said:
    I thought Wheeler had a good game, a few nice flick-ons which sadly came to nothing and lots of clever defensive covering. We haven't yet seen much from Fred this season, which is a shame, as he's got the most natural talent in the squad. I wonder if he needs to play more centrally, in a free role, a little like Kevin Betsy when he returned for his second spell. The balls aren't falling for him on the wing yet.

The most disappointing thing for me today was that we didn't seem to utilise the high press. I don't know if it's a fitness thing after the short turnaround, or maybe age catching up with Bloomfield in particular, but if we're not going to be able to compete on raw ability in this league we need to be back to our snappy, terrier-like best.

We have all been calling for new midfielders for obvious reasons but let's not forget we also need a new left back. Slow defenders are going to end up with lots of suspensions this season. We really do need to strengthen here, JJ will not be able to play every match.

The thing that has to be most worrying, is that we haven't got into the really demanding part of the season yet in a few weeks when we're turning out midweek most weeks.

I'm sure Gareth will be scouring the country looking for a centre mid loanee this week though. Especially as Thompson seems to be totally out of the picture for some reason - everyone else was fit apart from Bayo apparently - so he's out for other reasons?

• Think it should only be a 1 gamer, and thanks Malone, dw I know that RITM doesn't like me as I've called him out on a few things before.

Positives today

Going forward on the few occasions we got the ball forward we do look like we can cause problems. Horgan Fred and Wheeler look decent options at this level, Uche had a decent effort when he came on as well and his presence up to will be a plus no doubt.
    Alsopp made some decent saves like we know he can, but also parried it back into danger a couple of times

We know that we can defend well and that Stewart, Charles, Grimmer and JJ don't always give the ball away as frequently as they did today, it was clear we started to panick. Tafazoli didn't do anything wrong when he came on.

Surely this will force some action in the market?

Negatives

JJ was seriously found out without a wide midfielder or Gape to help cover against a tricky pacey winger. I honestly don't think we can play a narrow midfield 3 with JJ at left back against teams with a pacey right winger or he'll get targeted constantly

The central midfield was completely absent, we looked non league in that area let alone league 1. Every time the ball was turned over we just didn't have the legs to recover. Add in that no one wanted to get the ball from the defenders to build up the play and it was a total disaster. Bloomfield's lack of pace was so obvious, and Pattison tries hard, but just isn't quite up to it, last week he gave the ball away 3 times in bad areas but Rotherham weren't good enough to punish us, this week Blackburn were.

• We need Thompson back