Skip to content

Match day thread: Blackburn

Comments

• @thedieharder said:
    We need Thompson back

It's unclear whether he's making his customary super slow return to fitness, or whether something more major has gone on, like a falling out etc.

No Gape or Thompson is a big upset to that middle though

Pattison barely got a sniff last year, so it's a real stretch to think he's up to it a division up unfortunately.

• @aloysius i was surprised at the lack of pressing today too. Especially when it worked so brilliantly against Brentford.

• On another note. Its understandable that away games will be tough for us this season but we have to improve on other things. I think the formation today was awful. We should have gone for a flat 4-4-2 over the diamond. I think that's the only formation that can actually work with the players we have who are fit and not suspended. I also thought we lacked a physical presence up front till Uche came on. I do think we were decent till the penalty too. But we must step up into this division. We need to make chances count, defend resolutely and not make silly mistakes which will lead to more problems. We need Gape back. We need Uche leading the line so that we can play the football that works for us. Until then I think its going to be grim. Never lose hope though.

• Apart from the obvious, I agree with every word of that @Username.

• Quick history lesson from albeit a different level of football. First season we went into the Conference we did ok for two thirds of the season Got a false sense of security then won one game in 14 and went down. On coming up again we had a torrid first half of the season with several heavy defeats 0-7 at home to Barnet being the low point but we learned changed the team a lot and survived. We were bound to catch a cold sooner or later and there may be some other Blackburn’s along the way 2 down 44 to go plenty of time to learn and adjust.

• @Username said:
    Think it should only be a 1 gamer, and thanks Malone, dw I know that RITM doesn't like me as I've called him out on a few things before.

Positives today

Going forward on the few occasions we got the ball forward we do look like we can cause problems. Horgan Fred and Wheeler look decent options at this level, Uche had a decent effort when he came on as well and his presence up to will be a plus no doubt.
    Alsopp made some decent saves like we know he can, but also parried it back into danger a couple of times

We know that we can defend well and that Stewart, Charles, Grimmer and JJ don't always give the ball away as frequently as they did today, it was clear we started to panick. Tafazoli didn't do anything wrong when he came on.

Surely this will force some action in the market?

Negatives

JJ was seriously found out without a wide midfielder or Gape to help cover against a tricky pacey winger. I honestly don't think we can play a narrow midfield 3 with JJ at left back against teams with a pacey right winger or he'll get targeted constantly

The central midfield was completely absent, we looked non league in that area let alone league 1. Every time the ball was turned over we just didn't have the legs to recover. Add in that no one wanted to get the ball from the defenders to build up the play and it was a total disaster. Bloomfield's lack of pace was so obvious, and Pattison tries hard, but just isn't quite up to it, last week he gave the ball away 3 times in bad areas but Rotherham weren't good enough to punish us, this week Blackburn were.

Sounds like I've got under your skin before and to be honest I can't remember any of it. Should I?

Few questions on this post though. Hope it doesn't offend

One of Allsops parries back in to play came from a decent reaction save from a massively deflected shot through a crowd of legs. Bit harsh to criticise.

Pattison 'isn't quite up to it' and Bloomfield is slow. Very harsh to call them out as non league based on that.
    Odd to criticise their lack of coming to get passes from defenders too. Has that ever happened with any midfielder we've had? It's not how we play.

If anything we played too much football today. Too many passes around our penalty area. We didn't play like a Wycombe team.

I thought Blackburn looked a good side and part of this exciting Championship era might just be to appreciate some of the players we come up against.

• @Mr67 said:
    Quick history lesson from albeit a different level of football. First season we went into the Conference we did ok for two thirds of the season Got a false sense of security then won one game in 14 and went down. On coming up again we had a torrid first half of the season with several heavy defeats 0-7 at home to Barnet being the low point but we learned changed the team a lot and survived. We were bound to catch a cold sooner or later and there may be some other Blackburn’s along the way 2 down 44 to go plenty of time to learn and adjust.

I remember that Barnet game it was awful sorry if I offended people it's just my opinion about blooms and JJ In sure we have rods in the iron for new players maybe we should play 5 across in midfield away from home to protect the defense a bit against the bigger teams

• edited September 2020

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Username said:
    Think it should only be a 1 gamer, and thanks Malone, dw I know that RITM doesn't like me as I've called him out on a few things before.

Positives today

Going forward on the few occasions we got the ball forward we do look like we can cause problems. Horgan Fred and Wheeler look decent options at this level, Uche had a decent effort when he came on as well and his presence up to will be a plus no doubt.
    Alsopp made some decent saves like we know he can, but also parried it back into danger a couple of times

We know that we can defend well and that Stewart, Charles, Grimmer and JJ don't always give the ball away as frequently as they did today, it was clear we started to panick. Tafazoli didn't do anything wrong when he came on.

Negatives

JJ was seriously found out without a wide midfielder or Gape to help cover against a tricky pacey winger. I honestly don't think we can play a narrow midfield 3 with JJ at left back against teams with a pacey right winger or he'll get targeted constantly

The central midfield was completely absent, we looked non league in that area let alone league 1. Every time the ball was turned over we just didn't have the legs to recover. Add in that no one wanted to get the ball from the defenders to build up the play and it was a total disaster. Bloomfield's lack of pace was so obvious, and Pattison tries hard, but just isn't quite up to it, last week he gave the ball away 3 times in bad areas but Rotherham weren't good enough to punish us, this week Blackburn were.

Sounds like I've got under your skin before and to be honest I can't remember any of it. Should I?

One of Allsops parries back in to play came from a decent reaction save from a massively deflected shot through a crowd of legs. Bit harsh to criticise.

Pattison 'isn't quite up to it' and Bloomfield is slow. Very harsh to call them out as non league based on that.
    Odd to criticise their lack of coming to get passes from defenders too. Has that ever happened with any midfielder we've had? It's not how we play.

If anything we played too much football today. Too many passes around our penalty area. We didn't play like a Wycombe team.

I thought Blackburn looked a good side and part of this exciting Championship era might just be to appreciate some of the players we come up against.

You're the one who jumped straight on me ffs

Yes one of Alsopp's parries back in to danger was unfortunate after a good save from a deflection, but a couple of others weren't.

It's harsh but that's how it looked today, it reminded me of when we were in league 2 and got pasted by championship sides in the league cup... That can't be acceptable this season. Bloomfield was just always slightly too late to everything today, he's been a great servant and he'll be useful at points this season, but we can't have him starting regularly.

Pattison barely got a look in at league 1 level so it's a huge ask for him to step up.

You're right we don't usually pick up the ball from defense, but we're going to have to sometimes this season to be competitive, and if we don't, we have to be all over the knock downs and second balls when we bypass midfield- we did neither today and we thoroughly outclassed.

I've got no problem getting beat, and admiring the other teams good play/ players, but Blackburn didn't even have to be good today to put 5 past us, and that's not good enough- we need to compete at least

• I'm possibly the only one thinking like this, however, thought I'd put it up and see the thoughts on it.
    We all knew that it was going to be tough, is there any reason not to start 4-5-1? We must stay in a game for as long as possible & I know it will lead to criticism of too defensive, but at this level it is becoming obvious that errors cost goals. Goals that we do not look likely to score enough of to play 4-3-3. Onyedimna & Wheeler playing as the 2 extra wide men in midfield to help out. Both are quick enough to get forward when the opportunities present themselves. Not many of our goals are not going to come from open play, so until we adjust why not?

• There's not a great deal of difference between our 4-3-3 and a 4-5-1.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    I'm possibly the only one thinking like this, however, thought I'd put it up and see the thoughts on it.
    We all knew that it was going to be tough, is there any reason not to start 4-5-1? We must stay in a game for as long as possible & I know it will lead to criticism of too defensive, but at this level it is becoming obvious that errors cost goals. Goals that we do not look likely to score enough of to play 4-3-3. Onyedimna & Wheeler playing as the 2 extra wide men in midfield to help out. Both are quick enough to get forward when the opportunities present themselves. Not many of our goals are not going to come from open play, so until we adjust why not?

Agreed, we need to be in games to be able to win them> @Chris said:

There's not a great deal of difference between our 4-3-3 and a 4-5-1.

Fred did seem to be starting higher than in other games today on the left, maybe putting Wheeler on the left and Fred on the right would help, especially with Uche starting. Wheeler is excellent defensively to help JJ and Fred could start higher with Grimmer being an excellent 1v1 defender, I'm sure we'll see changes tbf, going forward we have decent options

• From what I saw we played 4-2-3-1

• @Username said:

Pattison barely got a look in at league 1 level so it's a huge ask for him to step up.

This is a critical point. I think some overlook this because he had a couple of turnouts in the playoffs in recent memory.

But typically he wasn't getting near it outside of minor cups and a little run at the start, and bar a couple of games didn't look very special at all.

• @Username said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Username said:

Positives today

Negatives

You're the one who jumped straight on me ffs

Yes one of Alsopp's parries back in to danger was unfortunate after a good save from a deflection, but a couple of others weren't.

It's harsh but that's how it looked today, it reminded me of when we were in league 2 and got pasted by championship sides in the league cup... That can't be acceptable this season. Bloomfield was just always slightly too late to everything today, he's been a great servant and he'll be useful at points this season, but we can't have him starting regularly.

You're right we don't usually pick up the ball from defense, but we're going to have to sometimes this season to be competitive, and if we don't, we have to be all over the knock downs and second balls when we bypass midfield- we did neither today and we thoroughly outclassed.

I've got no problem getting beat, and admiring the other teams good play/ players, but Blackburn didn't even have to be good today to put 5 past us, and that's not good enough- we need to compete at least

Point of clarification. Are you saying Blackburn could have beaten us not being that good or that they weren't that good and beat us.

Pattison and Bloomfield can't be our first choice Championship central midfield this season but they aren't and won't be once injuries, suspensions and transfer windows settle down. Seems really harsh to me to label them as you do. They are learning a new league and deserve support.

Finally I have never jumped at anyone. Stick by your views if you believe them. Be prepared that others might not agree though. Doesn't either view wrong but if you have to swear then you're not giving your argument any chance

• I did say I wouldn't comment on the match today, and I really really hate those posts which give an either/or choice of two options which aren't really the only options, but....

would you rather GA/Dobbo splash the cash on 7/8 players because those we already have are clearly no good, still get relegated but with a huge wage bill, aren't sustainable next year and eventually go bust in a couple of years

or

give GA/Dobbo some credit for getting us into the Championship, accept that GA said the players that got us here deserved a chance to prove themselves and that it would take 5/6 games to get his head around the Championship and that we might lose a lots of games this year - sometimes taking a spanking - but we'll survive and worse case play league 1 next year with a better squad that last year?

• Exactly this @Twizz. Today was a bad day and it won't be the last I'm sure. We will learn however and we will get better. We have existing players to come back in and strengthen our midfield and it's pretty much a given there's still new signings to come in. Whether it'll be enough to keep us in the Championship remains to be seen, but we can enjoy the ride wherever it takes us, confident that we will end the season with a stronger squad of players and in a better financial position than when we were promoted.

• I'm happy with the level of signings we've made, we just need a few more, even if they're loans

• Cardiff may well finish above Forest on the display today...but Luton won't finish above Derby or the Tricky Trees. Early days.

• Remember that first season in League One? The step up isn't it? When the players weren't good enough for that level ? When we didn't mind losing but were angry that we did not even compete? When we were embarrassing. When we should not have been beaten by poor sides like(insert name here)? And we marked @trevor's words that we were going straight back down. Happy days.

• 30/11/2019: Brentford 7 Luton 0
    12/09/2020: Luton start their 2nd season in Championship.
    Hold your nerve.

• Anyone else think that Samuel would have been better suited upfront today. Not that it would have made a difference in hindsight...and unfair to drop Kashket - but I thought this would be one of "his games".

I actually think that Bayo would be a good impact in games like this. Imagine bringing on Bayo and Uche at 2-0 down.

• @Last_Quarter said:
    30/11/2019: Brentford 7 Luton 0
    12/09/2020: Luton start their 2nd season in Championship.
    Hold your nerve.

Someone pointed out that Luton won 14 games last year, and which 14 teams are we going to beat.
    Now, it could be the same 7 twice of course, but we need that first win to come very soon or we'll all start getting worried.

• Luton twice for a start! But seriously, the unpredictability of the league we're in makes that an impossible question to answer. We'll lose some we'd rather we'd won (last Saturday for a start) and win some we'd expect to lose. The very fact that Luton managed to win 14 games last season despite getting stuffed like we did today is exactly the reason we need to stay calm.

• Not read everything so sorry if repeating anyone or talking rubbish!

We started well and then it was downhill afterwards. Individual mistakes and tbh they looked like scoring everytime they attacked.

Would of been nice to be able to go the game and experience it with my daughter and that's what I'm hoping to do later in the season, I'm keeping my expectations low and whatever positive thing happens then great, we might lose heavily and look shot at times but I believe GA and the rest of the staff wont give it up without a fight and I'll support them all the way.

• @ryan_w_kirkby said:
    Not read everything so sorry if repeating anyone or talking rubbish!

We started well and then it was downhill afterwards. Individual mistakes and tbh they looked like scoring everytime they attacked.

Would of been nice to be able to go the game and experience it with my daughter and that's what I'm hoping to do later in the season, I'm keeping my expectations low and whatever positive thing happens then great, we might lose heavily and look shot at times but I believe GA and the rest of the staff wont give it up without a fight and I'll support them all the way.

POTD for me

• Trying to stay positive - Tony Mowbray said post match that "Wycombe will cause problems for teams this year"...and I believe we will. It's a bit of a culture shock and players may still be unfit. It's strange times for all - no fans etc. Must be difficult for the players playing in big stadiums with no fans.

We are missing Gape, Thompson, Bayo etc and I think Tafazolli will be a certain starter this season but GA staying loyal to Charles for now and rightly so.

Our front 3 can't be the worst in the league but I do think we may need to mix up our style a bit and play through the midfield.

Based on that, we all agree that we desperately need a couple of premier league loanees and I imagine this will happen once the big teams have settled squads. Left back and a couple of centre mids. Wonder what that young Liverpool lad has planned - Curtis Jones...he would be perfect! We can't rely on JJ and Blooms to perform at a high level over a whole season - as much as we love them.

Let's remember that we have given the likes of Tottenham (and others) good games so it is definitely not beyond Wycombe to ruffle a few feathers.

Sorry all for being negative recently - I'm so desperate for us to win, as we all are, and sometimes maybe don't think before I type/speak when emotions are running high.