Skip to content

Match day thread: Blackburn

1234568»

Comments

• @floyd said:
    @Manboobs we don’t know if it was character forming or not yet.

I’ll go with the club making it one.

• Proximity, Chelsea or Fulham. Is it my imagination or some years ago did we have (or at least seem to have) a bit of a friendship/deal thing going on with Villa ?

Yes wasn’t an ex player at Villa in youth management?
    We got a pacy little striker who promised much but delivered little and of course the second worse defensive performance in about Wycombe shirt from Donicien (or however you spell it?).

• @perfidious_albion said:

Proximity, Chelsea or Fulham. Is it my imagination or some years ago did we have (or at least seem to have) a bit of a friendship/deal thing going on with Villa ?

Yes wasn’t an ex player at Villa in youth management?
    We got a pacy little striker who promised much but delivered little and of course the second worse defensive performance in about Wycombe shirt from Donicien (or however you spell it?).

Tommy Mooney?

• edited September 2020

I think Moody became part of the Villa youth set up, hence our connection. We got Donacien & the pacy striker who's name I can't remember. Striker showed some promising moments, Donacien . . . . well, not so promising. Donacien did come back to haunt us with Accrington & then went on to Ipswich for a decent size fee if I remember correctly.

• Janoi Donacien was indeed on loan here from Aston Villa in 2015. He was played out of position in at least one of the two games he played - he could only have been 20 or 21 at the time. - and he went on to have a very successful season at Newport County. He’s now at Ipswich, a lower league club.

You’re right @Malone. He came to us when Tommy Mooney was involved with the youth set-up at Villa.

• Jerrell Sellars now playing in Sweden was here on loan from Villa

• Bad day yesterday but Gaz and Dobbo will use it learn and improve. We had a good first 10 minutes, could have scored and then got hit with that sucker penalty. Loan players will probably improve us and are likely to be Premier League quality (Chelsea or Arsenal maybe?). I’ve said before that under Peter Taylor we played 4-3-3 in possession and 4-5-1 out of possession (And got promoted). That would mean Wheeler and Fred (or whoever we play wide) would have to cover our full backs defensively when we lose the ball. Agree that JJ will be exposed by pacy Championship wingers so some pre-determined cover from the wide man in front will help him. JJ’s dead ball play will get us goals so he stays in the team.

• I dreamed about being on the same 'points' as Forest at the start of the season.

• Worth remembering that back in 2007 we went up to Stockport in L2 and got hammered 6-0; I wonder how many of the people who endured that day imagined that a few years later some Wycombe fans would consider losing 5-0 to Blackburn in the Championship a terrible result.

And of course, that season we ended up in the play-offs.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I dreamed about being on the same 'points' as Forest at the start of the season.

Only a couple of points off mid table.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Worth remembering that back in 2007 we went up to Stockport in L2 and got hammered 6-0; I wonder how many of the people who endured that day imagined that a few years later some Wycombe fans would consider losing 5-0 to Blackburn in the Championship a terrible result.

And of course, that season we ended up in the play-offs.

Christ that was a tough trip to Edgeley Park that day.

• Was there ever a trip to Edgely Park that wasnt tough? 11 without a win, wasnt it?

• And for anyone interested in contrasting football fortunes, our game just before that mauling was a home draw with Hereford. We've done okay, haven't we.

• It’s not that long since we beat Burnley 5-1. Well, I think it was this century.

• @micra said:
    It’s not that long since we beat Burnley 5-1. Well, I think it was this century.

5-0 wasn't it?

• Could well have been @Malone. I only remember the five. A Burnley supporting friend of my brother rang me that evening and said “I’m not best pleased, Mouse.” A case of true words spoken in jest.

• I remember that result well as it was a rare game in the main stand for me. I can't remember why though.

• @micra said:
    It’s not that long since we beat Burnley 5-1. Well, I think it was this century.

Sean Devine hattrick? I may be wrong but I think we beat Reading 5-3 that same season?

And a 5-3 home win vs Brentford springs to mind too

• @thecatwwfc said:

And a 5-3 home win vs Brentford springs to mind too

Happy memories of Lloyd Owusu shinning the ball into the away end with the goal at his mercy.

• I vaguely remember a high scoring win (?4-3) against QPR which I missed, perhaps because it was on a Bank Holiday. One of my worst memories is of a 6-0 (?) hiding at Carrow Road. I was at the Bude Jazz Festival not long afterwards and Dan, one of the stewards, is/was (we’re nearly all ancient) a great Canaries fan. He said we were abysmal!

• Wasnt it 5-2 or something?

From memory the highlight of the (very hot) day was we kept Norwich waiting for about 5 minutes on the pitch at the start of the second half before coming out late and then scoring soon after the start (to make it 3-1?).

Got the feeling it was Paul Lamberts first (home?) game in charge of Norwich.

But we were pretty abysmal to an embarrassing level

• I remember feeling embarrassed and very concerned. Must have been League 1 and I guess we were relegated that season. Or were we, he said clutching at straws!

• @micra said:
    I remember feeling embarrassed and very concerned. Must have been League 1 and I guess we were relegated that season. Or were we, he said clutching at straws!

If that’s the same Carrow Road game I was at, me and my mate were about last up to the bar at half time and it was just before kickoff for the second half. The barman said “we’ve poured too many pints so if you like you can buy some at a pound each”. Bearing in mind we were getting tonked and looked dreadful, had Her Indoors not been in the stand, we’d have settled in for a session and become tonked ourselves.

• Forgive me if I missed it earlier in the thread but did Ipeazu look any good when he came on or was it too late to make any impression?

• Up front all on his own, 10 men, 4-0 down. Not how you want your debut appearance to be set up... However, the lad done good, worked some openings, powerful shot just wide, looked a handful.

• That powerful shot that @LeedsBlue mentioned was a promising sign, he was some way out with no passing options so he smacked it with barely any back lift, Gheorghe Hagi style. Could surprise a few keepers with that ability.

• Good to hear

• Good point @drcongo. Edge of the box, with men around. I didn’t think he had any chance from there, yet he had the keeper scrambling.