Skip to content

Match day thread: Milton Keynes

Comments

• @NorsQuarters said:
    Was there any placement choice when buying tickets? If the stewards are going to be strict with the seating it would make sense to have a simple higher or lower code for unofficial standing or sitting. Most fans will want their fellow supporters to have the best day out they can, yet all it takes is a few standing up at the front to wreck the whole system.

Such a shame that with their impessive facilities comes a seeming lack of organisation and forethought causing some fans to have regrettable experiences on what should be a good day out (scoreline not withstanding). A ridi> @Malone said:

@Username said:

@Malone said:

@Username said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

@Username said:

>

No, there were another 2 or 3 rows of standers behind us by 3 minutes in once a few sitters swapped with standers, and we weren't asked by anyone to sit. When the away end is full I completely understand the moaning, yesterday there was no reason really. Unless clubs do actual allocated seating (Where people can choose a seat or at least block) and don't just sell tickets with the next number, asking people to sit on their ticketed number will never work, especially for the younger groups who don't buy tickets in big groups a week in advance, people want to stand/ sit with their mates as much as anything.

Oxford is the only one there's a real situation at.
    And the club acted pretty well with that signing section idea.

Agreed that Oxford is the biggest problem ground, the singing section is a good idea, can't see why the club can't go further and gave have two options, say "family" and "not family". Sell "family" ticket starting at A1 and "not family" from Z99, surely that would help?

Why family and non family?
    Singing and non is better. Makes it pretty clear.

I suspect there's a reason why there's always a small section of tickets that get allocated as singing so was thinking of the most PC phrasing that could be used, but I agree.

And I believe the reason the singers were at the front was because that was only relatively empty section due to the line of stewards standing at the front blocking the first few rows anyway.

• Exactly, by about 2:45 most of the back couple of rows were full anyway. Some with people wishing to stand but others who must have adhered to their ticket number and chose to sit.

• edited February 2020

Isn't this 'wishing to stand' on an all seater stadium just self absorbed people being rude?

• My simplistic view is when in a seating area you sit. End of. If you don't comply, out

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Isn't this 'wishing to stand' on an all seater stadium just self absorbed people being rude?

Depends how you go about it.

@Mr67 said:
    My simplistic view is when in a seating area you sit. End of. If you don't comply, out

Then you're part of the problem in my opinion...

• @Username said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Mr67 said:
    My simplistic view is when in a seating area you sit. End of. If you don't comply, out

I am the part of the problem who pays for a seat in an all seater stadium and expects to see the pitch when I sit in it. You are dead right and if you are one of the ignorant few who think they can do what they want then you will get abuse from me every time you stand up in front of me.

Do you think the people standing are part of the problem too?

@Username said:

@Mr67 said:

I am the part of the problem who pays for a seat in an all seater stadium and expects to see the pitch when I sit in it. You are dead right and if you are one of the ignorant few who think they can do what they want then you will get abuse from me every time you stand up in front of me.

Do you think the people standing are part of the problem too?

Of course I think some of the people standing are a problem.

With the exception of 1 maybe 2 games a season when we do sell out (and those games usually have an allocated singing / standing section to help anyway) both camps can be happy. Anyone who isn't willing to move seat to somewhere appropriate to help this happen in a half empty stand is either being an inconsiderate idiot (if standing in front of someone), or downright petty (if they choose to stay sat with their view blocked). Works both ways.

• @Username said:

@Mr67 said:

How the hell is someone who pays for a seat in an all seater stadium, part of any problem!?

• @Username said:

With the exception of 1 maybe 2 games a season when we do sell out (and those games usually have an allocated singing / standing section to help anyway) both camps can be happy. Anyone who isn't willing to move seat to somewhere appropriate to help this happen in a half empty stand is either being an inconsiderate idiot (if standing in front of someone), or downright petty (if they choose to stay sat with their view blocked). Works both ways.

Why are some of the people standing not part of the problem?
    Why is standing up and expecting others to move anything other than rude and self absorbed?
    If I come and sit down on the terrace on Saturday would you think it was fair if I asked you to move somewhere else so I can see?

• If they stand on a back row or in front of other people who want to stand, then they're not part of the problem are they? There isn't a problem.

If you stand up in front of people and block their view then its open season, as you say.

@Username said:

Why are some of the people standing not part of the problem?
    Why is standing up and expecting others to move anything other than rude and self absorbed?
    If I come and sit down on the terrace on Saturday would you think it was fair if I asked you to move somewhere else so I can see?

So you think everyone should sit because you want to sit?

I've been to away games when I've not wanted or not been able to stand, I've not found it to be too onerous to move to a another seat if my allocated one happened to be in the section where people stand. Surely that's more considerate than belligerently sitting there and trying to get people to sit down when they don't want to.

It's not an ideal situation because of the rarely enforced no standing policies that still need lip service paying to them, but competely rigid and uncompromising attitudes like yours on both sides are the problem.

• @Username said:

>

I've been to away games when I've not wanted or not been able to stand, I've not found it to be too onerous to move to a another seat if my allocated one happened to be in the section where people stand. Surely that's more considerate than belligerently sitting there and trying to get people to sit down when they don't want to.

It's not an ideal situation because of the rarely enforced no standing policies that still need lip service paying to them, but competely rigid and uncompromising attitudes like yours on both sides are the problem.

It's seating. You're meant to sit. At some grounds they are strict on it.

If you have to stand, surely the onus is on you to go to the back and not inconvenience anyone else?

It's the ultimate "i'm alright Jack" behaviour.

I'd probably move to be honest, as confronting some of our more aggro fans isn't a great position to put yourself in.

• @Username said:

Its an ALL SEATER stadium FFS!! What you want to do us irrelevant and totally dependent on other fans and the stadium stewards accommodating you.
    The reason clubs don't enforce the rules and risk their safety certificates and insurances is because the self absorbed people who think they can do what they want kick off and create even more dangerous situations for staff and people around them.
    Your attitude is contemptable and the only reason you can do what you want so often is the relaxed nature of other fans who prefer to move than have their view blocked. They don't have to move and if they took action you are in the wrong every time.
    Just remember that next time you block someones view.

• So you don't want anyone to be able to stand at almost all away grounds full stop?

The standers do almost always make a beeline for the back as they don't want to cause problems - some just don't care if they do (which obviously isn't on). Not 100% sure why they were at the front but the suggestion I've seen us that the back rows were filled early and that front section was empty.

More sensible stewarding would help (don't fill the back rows first)

Your suggestion keeps all that want to sit happy, at the expense of anyone wanting to stand - and is completely impractical (you're going to get people who will stand, and you're going to get some idiots who don't care who they annoy, that's life)

Surely some understanding and maybe accepting having to move seats one away game in 10 is better and keeps everyone happy for the 90 minutes of the match. Is it really that much of an inconvenience? You can usually tell where the standards will end up and avoid any issues in the first place if you aren't trying to make a point...

Not having a standing singing group can affect the atmosphere..at least when we're playing well.

@Username said:

Its an ALL SEATER stadium FFS!! What you want to do us irrelevant and totally dependent on other fans and the stadium stewards accommodating you.
    The reason clubs don't enforce the rules and risk their safety certificates and insurances is because the self absorbed people who think they can do what they want kick off and create even more dangerous situations for staff and people around them.
    Your attitude is contemptable and the only reason you can do what you want so often is the relaxed nature of other fans who prefer to move than have their view blocked. They don't have to move and if they took action you are in the wrong every time.

Ok, I understand your point of view, you follow the rules like they're the rule of God. I'd wager most people (even "sitters") accept that standing at football is an acceptable thing to do if it's not at the expense of others.

Think I might be able to put a face to the poster at least, did have someone come and sit behind the seats my group were standing in 5 minutes before kick off in an empty stand at maybe Rochdale or Bury a few years back, and then procede to moan for 45 minutes rather than move. (Before KO we suggested politely that he could have picked one of the other 800 seats available that day...)

• @Username said:
    So you don't want anyone to be able to stand at almost all away grounds full stop?

The standers do almost always make a beeline for the back as they don't want to cause problems - some just don't care if they do (which obviously isn't on). Not 100% sure why they were at the front but the suggestion I've seen us that the back rows were filled early and that front section was empty.

Your suggestion keeps all that want to sit happy, at the expense of anyone wanting to stand - and is completely impractical (you're going to get people who will stand, and you're going to get some idiots who don't care who they annoy, that's life)

Surely some understanding and maybe accepting having to move seats one away game in 10 is better and keeps everyone happy for the 90 minutes of the match. Is it really that much of an inconvenience? You can usually tell where the standards will end up and avoid any issues in the first place if you aren't trying to make a point...

Not having a standing singing group can affect the atmosphere..at least when we're playing well.

It's really not about sitting or standing. Complying with stadium safety rules or doing what you want.

It's just about treating others with respect and all you seem to talk about is getting others to move to allow you to do what you want. I don't like that attitude one little bit.

• edited February 2020

I was one row from the back...I usually stand at the back of the Beechdean but expected to sit in my (admittedly comfy looking) seat, but thankfully I was able to stand as everyone in front of me and behind me stood up. There were empty seats dotted around the stand. (I know as I was considering moving away from Mr Fakkin Cants!)

• @Username said:

@Username said:

Ok, I understand your point of view, you follow the rules like they're the rule of God. I'd wager most people (even "sitters") accept that standing at football is an acceptable thing to do if it's not at the expense of others.

Think I might be able to put a face to the poster at least, did have someone come and sit behind the seats my group were standing in 5 minutes before kick off in an empty stand at maybe Rochdale or Bury a few years back, and then procede to moan for 45 minutes rather than move. (Before KO we suggested politely that he could have picked one of the other 800 seats available that day...)

I think you'll find most people are relaxed enough to not want to cause a scene rather than be happy to allow people to stand in front of them. Most people don't want the confrontation and you take advantage of that. You justify your actions by their passive acceptance. You just do what you want.

Funny how your story doesn't mention I thought of you moving to the many empty seats. You just do what you want.
    It's suits your arrogance to think it was me. From my experience those actions could have been from hundreds of people but if you imagine it being one you don't realise how many people you annoy and upset.

You just do what you want.

@Username said:
    So you don't want anyone to be able to stand at almost all away grounds full stop?

It's really not about sitting or standing. Complying with stadium safety rules or doing what you want.

It's just about treating others with respect and all you seem to talk about is getting others to move to allow you to do what you want. I don't like that attitude one little bit.

I'm not so proud or up my own arse to be bothered by moving 1 block of seats a couple of times a year so others can enjoy the game the way they want, whether that be sitting or standing, yes. I sit down pretty regularly at away games and it's never put a huge downer on my day having to stand up and walk 20 yards 10 minutes before kick off because the group around me obviously want to stand throughout.

@Username said:

@Username said:

I think you'll find most people are relaxed enough to not want to cause a scene rather than be happy to allow people to stand in front of them. Most people don't want the confrontation and you take advantage of that. You justify your actions by their passive acceptance. You just do what you want.

Funny how your story doesn't mention I thought of you moving to the many empty seats. You just do what you want.
    It's suits your arrogance to think it was me. From my experience those actions could have been from hundreds of people but if you imagine it being one you don't realise how many people you annoy and upset.

You just do what you want.

We were stood about 5 rows from the back with the other standers and the guy came in after and sat down behind us when there were countless other seats, and you're still not budging on your view that there can be some give and take on both times?

Most people on both sides want both sides to be happy...

• Righty I’m totally with you on this. Many a game I have seen spoiled by ignoramuses such as Username who just do as they please and stand regardless of others around them. Saw two near punch ups at the playoff final against Southend. One Dad implored with a group of selfish young MEN who would not sit down, despite pleading his kids couldn’t see. They didn’t give a f*uck and I saw the same at the Aston Villa game. It always seems to be young blokes in their twenties without a hint of manners between them. Maybe it’s a generational thing and I suspect Username falls right into the bracket I described. This and other frankly boorish and yobbish behaviour put me off going to away games after many years of doing so.

• @Username said:

We were stood about 5 rows from the back with the other standers and the guy came in after and sat down behind us when there were countless other seats, and you're still not budging on your view that there can be some give and take on both times?

You seem to just want everyone to be happy that you want to stand. You aren't in slightest bit bothered that the poor guy felt like he should be the one to move. You took advantage of his willingness to not cause a scene and push it.

I am more than happy with give and take but all I am hearing from you is that in an All Seater Stadium with strict safety certificates requiring people sit you think you can take the good natured gesture from someone not wanting confrontation and not give anything back at all.

Just do what you want. We'll all move around for you.

@Username said:

You seem to just want everyone to be happy that you want to stand. You aren't in slightest bit bothered that the poor guy felt like he should be the one to move. You took advantage of his willingness to not cause a scene and push it.

I'm assuming you're deliberately misinterpreting the situation I set out or maybe I didn't make it clear, as your reply has actually surprised me..

Away game a few years back

1) 2:45 Me and my group of friends enter the ground and stand on the edge of the existing standing group, near the back of the stand with no one behind us. Our end was less than half full

2) 2:55 Gentlemen enters the ground and takes his seat behind us

3) 2:57 We politely ask/ suggest he moves to one of the seats 5 yards over - more people were starting to swell the standing group by this point as well

Are you seriously suggesting that I was in the wrong here?

I can assure you I've never been rude to another fan without copping any unwarranted abuse first (once). Yours and some other posters ridiculous "holier than though" and everyone who stands /sing is immediately an inconsiderate thug is part of the problem.

There are idiots that stand who spoil things, just as there are apparently fans who don't have the brain capacity to separate those few idiots from the vast majority of standers who do everything they can to not get in the way.

I've never once said it's fine to just do as you please and **** everyone else, if that's what you've taken out of the discussion then that's your own tunnel vision

• I'm just glad this issue hasn't really occurred at an actual legitimate Wycombe game this season

• @Username said:
    I'm assuming you're deliberately misinterpreting the situation I set out or maybe I didn't make it clear, as your reply has actually surprised me..

1) 2:45 Me and my group of friends enter the ground and stand on the edge of the existing standing group, near the back of the stand with no one behind us. Our end was less than half full

3) 2:57 We politely ask/ suggest he moves to one of the seats 5 yards over - more people were starting to swell the standing group by this point as well

I can assure you I've never been rude to another fan without copping any unwarranted abuse first (once). Yours and some other posters ridiculous "holier than though" and everyone who stands /sing is immediately an inconsiderate thug is part of the problem.

There are idiots that stand who spoil things, just as there are apparently fans who don't have the brain capacity to separate those few idiots from the vast majority of standers who do everything they can to not get in the way.

I've never once said it's fine to just do as you please and **** everyone else, if that's what you've taken out of the discussion then that's your own tunnel vision

Seems strange to be asked about a tale from years ago do that's probably why I wasn't bothered by it. As it clearly means alot to you I think you are in the wrong for this reason. You are deliberately vague about the ask/suggest and also if he was actually bothered by the situation. Sounds to me like you'e passive aggressively moved the man on so your mates can sit with you.

As you like a story I was got kicked in the shins by an opposition fan at an away game as I was stood on the terrace where he always stands. I moved.

See the similarity?

• @MBS said:
    Righty I’m totally with you on this. Many a game I have seen spoiled by ignoramuses such as Username who just do as they please and stand regardless of others around them. Saw two near punch ups at the playoff final against Southend. One Dad implored with a group of selfish young MEN who would not sit down, despite pleading his kids couldn’t see. They didn’t give a f*uck and I saw the same at the Aston Villa game. It always seems to be young blokes in their twenties without a hint of manners between them. Maybe it’s a generational thing and I suspect Username falls right into the bracket I described. This and other frankly boorish and yobbish behaviour put me off going to away games after many years of doing so.

It's definitely a generational thing.

If ever the rows in front of me stand,forcing me to, I always have a look behind to make sure I am not ruining someone's game.

I personally just like to watch the game. I don't like being amongst angry, sweary selfish bastards, but unfortunately we seem to be rife with them at our club.

@Username said:

Seems strange to be asked about a tale from years ago do that's probably why I wasn't bothered by it. As it clearly means alot to you I think you are in the wrong for this reason. You are deliberately vague about the ask/suggest and also if he was actually bothered by the situation. Sounds to me like you'e passive aggressively moved the man on so your mates can sit with you.

As you like a story I was got kicked in the shins by an opposition fan at an away game as I was stood on the terrace where he always stands. I moved.

See the similarity?

Deliberately misinterpreted it is.

• @Username said:

@Username said:

See the similarity?

Clear up the two points then?
    Did you ask or suggest?
    Was the person bothered by you standing in the first place?

It is hard to understand if you miss out the key facts. But you just do what you want.

@Username said:

@Username said:

See the similarity?

Clear up the two points then?
    Did you ask or suggest?
    Was the person bothered by you standing in the first place?

It is hard to understand if you miss out the key facts. But you just do what you want.

Once it became clear he wanted to sit (Before KO when he stayed sat as the teams walked out) I talked to him, can't remember the exact words, but I'm never rude, "Would you mind moving along a few seats so we're not blocking your view the whole game?" Is what I'd say now.

2 minutes into the game it was obvious he wasn't happy, but, in my opinion, that's entirely on him in that situation. He was inconveniencing himself for the sake of a number on a ticket.