Skip to content

Match day thread: Milton Keynes

Comments

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Username said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Username said:
    I'm assuming you're deliberately misinterpreting the situation I set out or maybe I didn't make it clear, as your reply has actually surprised me..

Away game a few years back

1) 2:45 Me and my group of friends enter the ground and stand on the edge of the existing standing group, near the back of the stand with no one behind us. Our end was less than half full

2) 2:55 Gentlemen enters the ground and takes his seat behind us

3) 2:57 We politely ask/ suggest he moves to one of the seats 5 yards over - more people were starting to swell the standing group by this point as well

Are you seriously suggesting that I was in the wrong here?

I can assure you I've never been rude to another fan without copping any unwarranted abuse first (once). Yours and some other posters ridiculous "holier than though" and everyone who stands /sing is immediately an inconsiderate thug is part of the problem.

There are idiots that stand who spoil things, just as there are apparently fans who don't have the brain capacity to separate those few idiots from the vast majority of standers who do everything they can to not get in the way.

I've never once said it's fine to just do as you please and **** everyone else, if that's what you've taken out of the discussion then that's your own tunnel vision

Seems strange to be asked about a tale from years ago do that's probably why I wasn't bothered by it. As it clearly means alot to you I think you are in the wrong for this reason. You are deliberately vague about the ask/suggest and also if he was actually bothered by the situation. Sounds to me like you'e passive aggressively moved the man on so your mates can sit with you.

As you like a story I was got kicked in the shins by an opposition fan at an away game as I was stood on the terrace where he always stands. I moved.

See the similarity?

Deliberately misinterpreted it is.

Clear up the two points then?
    Did you ask or suggest?
    Was the person bothered by you standing in the first place?

It is hard to understand if you miss out the key facts. But you just do what you want.

The fact you need me to clarify that I didn't tell him to just do one shows your starting point of contempt for anyone who wants to watch a game standing, regardless of how they go about it.

There are a small number of idiots, mostly on a revolving door of attendance before they get banned or lose interest , but most of the standers aren't complete arses.

• edited February 2020

It's definitely a generational thing.

If ever the rows in front of me stand,forcing me to, I always have a look behind to make sure I am not ruining someone's game.

I personally just like to watch the game. I don't like being amongst angry, sweary selfish bastards, but unfortunately we seem to be rife with them at our club.

@Malone I've always found your experience of Wycombe fans completely at odds to my own, I've never gone near the top and the middle of an away end, is that where I'm going right/wrong?

• @peterparrotface said:

If ever the rows in front of me stand,forcing me to, I always have a look behind to make sure I am not ruining someone's game.

I personally just like to watch the game. I don't like being amongst angry, sweary selfish bastards, but unfortunately we seem to be rife with them at our club.

@Malone I've always found your experience of Wycombe fans completely at odds to my own, I've never gone near the top and the middle of an away end, is that where I'm going right/wrong?

I must admit I only go to a few away games now and again so my experience is limited. There are some very nice people around me at AP who go regularly on the coach and enjoy it, etc etc and there are others who have given it up as they find it hard to put up with some of the behaviour. That may be an age thing. It generally seemed to be more pepped up and pissed up than a usual home game but perhaps as I go on me own I don't have to worry about anyone else and can move if I want to. The thing that struck me was the people around me - all kitted out - seemed more obsessed with the booze they had smuggled in and where they could get some more...and needlessly slagging off the team - in between joining in the singing - rather than actually watching the game. That I did find irritating.

• Who the hell carries coins in 2020?

• @drcongo said:

Who the hell carries coins in 2020?

Clearly this (coin) tosser still gets his pocket money in change

• @Username said:

@Username said:

@Username said:
    I'm assuming you're deliberately misinterpreting the situation I set out or maybe I didn't make it clear, as your reply has actually surprised me..

1) 2:45 Me and my group of friends enter the ground and stand on the edge of the existing standing group, near the back of the stand with no one behind us. Our end was less than half full

3) 2:57 We politely ask/ suggest he moves to one of the seats 5 yards over - more people were starting to swell the standing group by this point as well

I can assure you I've never been rude to another fan without copping any unwarranted abuse first (once). Yours and some other posters ridiculous "holier than though" and everyone who stands /sing is immediately an inconsiderate thug is part of the problem.

There are idiots that stand who spoil things, just as there are apparently fans who don't have the brain capacity to separate those few idiots from the vast majority of standers who do everything they can to not get in the way.

I've never once said it's fine to just do as you please and **** everyone else, if that's what you've taken out of the discussion then that's your own tunnel vision

Seems strange to be asked about a tale from years ago do that's probably why I wasn't bothered by it. As it clearly means alot to you I think you are in the wrong for this reason. You are deliberately vague about the ask/suggest and also if he was actually bothered by the situation. Sounds to me like you'e passive aggressively moved the man on so your mates can sit with you.

As you like a story I was got kicked in the shins by an opposition fan at an away game as I was stood on the terrace where he always stands. I moved.

See the similarity?

Did you ask or suggest?

It is hard to understand if you miss out the key facts. But you just do what you want.

Once it became clear he wanted to sit (Before KO when he stayed sat as the teams walked out) I talked to him, can't remember the exact words, but I'm never rude, "Would you mind moving along a few seats so we're not blocking your view the whole game?" Is what I'd say now.

2 minutes into the game it was obvious he wasn't happy, but, in my opinion, that's entirely on him in that situation. He was inconveniencing himself for the sake of a number on a ticket.

See I can see his point of view on this one. You said ' would you mind moving'. Listen to that from the other view. I can see why he was annoyed. I agree that others would have been alot ruder but throughout all this you continue to assume you are right when you are clearly not by the ground rules. He had every right to be annoyed and that is most definately not 'entirely on him'.

You can annoy people without being rude. Same result with a different approach. Standing annoys plenty of people.

• Surely this is quite simple.

Anyone who has bought a seat is entitled if he wishes to sit in the seat he has paid for and have an uninterrupted view of the pitch.

it is perfectly reasonable for those who prefer to stand to look behind them and politely ask anyone they may inconvenience if they would mind moving seats to accommodate that desire. if the guy sitting in his seat agrees everyone is happy. If however just one person affected would prefer to simply stay sitting in his allocated seat, then they have right on their side and all are obligated to respect that right and hence either sit themselves or themselves move elsewhere.

I've seen this issue with both Wycombe and other teams supporters. Only a matter of time before a major issue blows up as a result of this.

@Username said:

@Username said:

@Username said:

See the similarity?

Did you ask or suggest?

Once it became clear he wanted to sit (Before KO when he stayed sat as the teams walked out) I talked to him, can't remember the exact words, but I'm never rude, "Would you mind moving along a few seats so we're not blocking your view the whole game?" Is what I'd say now.

2 minutes into the game it was obvious he wasn't happy, but, in my opinion, that's entirely on him in that situation. He was inconveniencing himself for the sake of a number on a ticket.

See I can see his point of view on this one. You said ' would you mind moving'. Listen to that from the other view. I can see why he was annoyed. I agree that others would have been alot ruder but throughout all this you continue to assume you are right when you are clearly not by the ground rules. He had every right to be annoyed and that is most definately not 'entirely on him'.

You can annoy people without being rude. Same result with a different approach. Standing annoys plenty of people.

So, with hundreds of empty non impaired seats around, if someone decides at kick off they want to sit behind me near the back, while I'm already standing in the only area I can, I'm the unreasonable one asking them to move along?

It's so clear that they're causing the issue here, and I'm sure most would agree.

It's quite clear you just want standing banned, I want everyone to be able to do what they want without anyone's view being restricted. I'm happy with my standpoint and my actions personally in doing so and don't think I've ever impeded anyone unnecessarily.

• Are you still on about this ?

• @drcongo said:

What? I do; but I don't have anywhere near enough of them to waste one by throwing it anywhere.

• edited February 2020

@Cyclops said:

@drcongo said:

What? I do; but I don't have anywhere near enough of them to waste one by throwing it anywhere.

Me too. Crisp money.
    Perhaps a horrified Proactive pulled out a 50p with I LOVE EU on it and before he knew it had lobbed it pitchwards?

• @Cyclops said:

@drcongo said:

I am not sure I could throw a coin on to the pitch over the heads of all the people stood up in front of me.

The person charged lives in Princes Risborough. Sounds MK to me but really shoukd be a Wycombe catchment area.

• @Username said:

@Username said:

@Username said:

@Username said:

See the similarity?

Did you ask or suggest?

So, with hundreds of empty non impaired seats around, if someone decides at kick off they want to sit behind me near the back, while I'm already standing in the only area I can, I'm the unreasonable one asking them to move along?

It's so clear that they're causing the issue here, and I'm sure most would agree.

It's quite clear you just want standing banned, I want everyone to be able to do what they want without anyone's view being restricted. I'm happy with my standpoint and my actions personally in doing so and don't think I've ever impeded anyone unnecessarily.

You've just described how you've impeeded someone and you were stood in an area where you shouldn't be stood up.

If the guy wants to sit behind you that's his call surely. He has as much right to ask you to sit down.

I don't want standing banned. Standing is banned in all seater areas.

All of these things are facts as far as I can see. That is my point and you can carry on ignoring the rules and the thoughts of others if you want.

@Username said:

@Username said:

@Username said:

@Username said:

See the similarity?

Did you ask or suggest?

You've just described how you've impeeded someone and you were stood in an area where you shouldn't be stood up.

If the guy wants to sit behind you that's his call surely. He has as much right to ask you to sit down.

All of these things are facts as far as I can see. That is my point and you can carry on ignoring the rules and the thoughts of others if you want.

I prioritise the enjoyment of the game for everyone over the pedantry of following pointless rules yes.

If you count not sitting down when someone chooses to sit at the back of the stand behind people already standing rather in one of the swathes of empty seats as unnecessarily impeding someones view, then yes I have done that. Most people aren't quite as unreasonable as you though and wouldn't.

Just because you're following the rules to the letter doesn't mean you're not causing the problem, life isn't that simple

• Get a room

• To the people saying that it should be mandatory to sit because there are seats, that is simply not true. It is not mandatory to sit and is up to the stadium to decide if sitting down is insisted upon.

It seems pretty selfish to me to sit down in an area where a large number of people wish to stand, and then insist that everyone around you should modify their behaviour so that you can sit in that exact seat. I have sympathy when there are no available seats but on Saturday there were plenty available and people could easily have moved. Likewise, people standing should really have tried to congregate together.

• Sounds like everyone who went to Milton Keynes had a thoroughly miserable time. Lesson learned hopefully.

• I don’t want to have a dig @Username, just trying to understand - if there were loads of empty seats around, why was the place you were standing “the only place” you could stand?

Also, as a tall person who is painfully aware of my height whenever I go to gigs, cinemas, theatre etc. - for future reference the most reasonable thing to have said to these people is “excuse me, would you like to swap places so that you don’t have to try to see around us?”

• @floyd said:
    Sounds like everyone who went to Milton Keynes had a thoroughly miserable time. Lesson learned hopefully.

The whole day and experience seems so in keeping with the venue and opposition

• @Username says: "I prioritise the enjoyment of the game for everyone over the pedantry of following pointless rules yes."
    So you decide what rules are pointless now do you? Interesting. ?

• @floyd said:
    Sounds like everyone who went to Milton Keynes had a thoroughly miserable time. Lesson learned hopefully.

Did not enjoy losing, but survived the fan experience and I enjoyed my tea in Wagamamas five minutes after leaving the ground. I mean it wasn't a lilliputian Tom Kerridige pie of course...

• @floyd said:

@drcongo said:
    I don’t want to have a dig @Username, just trying to understand - if there were loads of empty seats around, why was the place you were standing “the only place” you could stand?

Also, as a tall person who is painfully aware of my height whenever I go to gigs, cinemas, theatre etc. - for future reference the most reasonable thing to have said to these people is “excuse me, would you like to swap places so that you don’t have to try to see around us?”

By only place I meant most suitable, next to people already standing and at the back of the stand with no one sat down behind.

I've swapped seats a few times before (this weekend in fact), but when you're in a largely empty stand there's not much need to swap - plus I knew it was likely more people would congregate around so a swap likely wouldn't have helped - there's always the late entrants and people who wait to Kick off to see where's best to stand / if they can.

• edited February 2020

@EwanHoosaami said:
    @Username says: "I prioritise the enjoyment of the game for everyone over the pedantry of following pointless rules yes."
    So you decide what rules are pointless now do you? Interesting. ?

On something as widely ignored and not even implemented by most grounds as standing at away games...Yes.

• @peterparrotface said:

If you're in it for the limbs and getting boozed up pre kick off, i dare say we do indeed have different match day experiences.

• @Glenactico said:
    To the people saying that it should be mandatory to sit because there are seats, that is simply not true. It is not mandatory to sit and is up to the stadium to decide if sitting down is insisted upon.

It seems pretty selfish to me to sit down in an area where a large number of people wish to stand, and then insist that everyone around you should modify their behaviour so that you can sit in that exact seat. I have sympathy when there are no available seats but on Saturday there were plenty available and people could easily have moved. Likewise, people standing should really have tried to congregate together.

Fans will argue black is white won't they.

Seats..are for sitting.
    It's sort of the rule.
    Fans breaking it and standing doesn't make it less so.

• edited February 2020

@Username said:

@Username said:

@Username said:

@Username said:

See the similarity?

Did you ask or suggest?

Here's another fact to mix into your equation: regardless of what the law might say, standing is absolutely the norm among a significant proportion of football fans. I prefer to stand than to sit but entirely respect those who take the opposite view hence, like @username, who seems a perfectly reasonable fellow, I would not stand in front of someone who wished to sit. Similarly, were I to prefer sitting, I would find myself a seat somewhere other than at the back of the stand among a group who wished to stand.

However, it seems to me that there are lots of perfectly normal psychological issues at play. My son and I sat in our allocated seats on Saturday, though we would much have preferred to position ourselves further back in our desire to stand without inconveniencing anyone. This impulse to conform translates into helplessness when people in front of you stand and you are not able to (as we were not on Saturday because of the interests/ preferences of those behind us). A sense of alienation from and frustration with the apparently selfish so-and-sos in front of you naturally follows. It is hard to overcome these feelings and easy to deal with them by ascribing inhuman characteristics to others, as expressed in the frankly rancorous and unfair comments being directed at @Username . In reality, the solution is fairly straightforward so long as the ground is not full. As many did during the first half and we did at half time, one overcomes the initial conformity with the request to take up one's allocated seat, which one had no say in choosing, more's the pity, and moves to a more suitable place.

• The sooner they introduce safe standing across the board, the better.

• I would have thought that it might be easier to sit whilst watching Wycombe as it's easier/more comfortable to look up to follow the ball!???

• @Username has taken a bit of stick on this thread and defended himself admirably. Given the scenario he's outlined I think he's completely in the right. There does have to be a bit of common sense on all sides.