Skip to content

Match day thread: Milton Keynes

Comments

• Really disappointing. Making just 2 changes from Tuesday and looking like a completely different team at times today.

They were so awful, and yet we didnt look like we knew how to break them down.

People moaning about the lack of striker in the window are short sighted, Gaz has never had squads with prolific strikers. We need a creative midfielder who knows how to pick the lock, and is allowed to try.

• Two poor teams and somehow managed to comfortably lose.

That sinking feeling of relying on two subs with one goal between them.
    Just never looked likely to score.

Smyth utterly dreadful. Diving, moaning, petulant and really has it al to prove.

• edited February 2020

Most times we play at home, the AP magic makes me believe.

Most times we play away....

• @Malone said:
    Two poor teams and somehow managed to comfortably lose.

That sinking feeling of relying on two subs with one goal between them.
    Just never looked likely to score.

Smyth utterly dreadful. Diving, moaning, petulant and really has it al to prove.

I wouldn't say he was dreadful, but he clearly needs to toughen up and know when to zip it. As much as it pains me to say it and as poor as we were, I thought they defended very well for the most part. It was crap, but we were great for the first hour or so again at Blackpool and very good against Rochdale - also played quite well v Ipswich - so it's more inconsistency at the moment, but our away form can't get much worse.

• Very poor game 2 awful teams dont like to moan Ainsworth has been brilliant but why the hell take Smyth and Samuel off when we need a goal.

• Without the likes of Scott, the Beast and Fred (arguably our best front three) we lack any threat going forward. Scott and Fred are natural finishers and the Beast causes so many problems it's hard to play without them.

What I did find quite worrying is Thompsons shot being cleared off the line. This shows that even someone as defensive Thompson was closest to scoring. This is a pressing issue.

Otherwise we were unlucky today but quite horrible to watch. Carlton Morris (their striker on loan from Norwich) was giving us lots of problems. Maybe look into him next season? He's never going to break into their first team is he and is a good striker...

I do back us against Bristol though. COYB!

• First half was crying out for Bayo to get on the end of those corners.

Not sure why we're so poor away compared to at home.

Dreadful game between two poor teams, one of whom just about managed to make a couple of chances.

• It felt like we were playing the ball to the ghost of Bayo today. I thought it was going to be 0-0 all the way, so it feels like one points dropped instead of three.

• edited February 2020

I thought we played alright until we conceded. Even moved the ball around well, and purposefully, at times such as the first ten of the second half. Once we conceded and made the changes, we resorted to full-on hoofball, with awful results. The second goal was a really properly dreadful mistake by Stockdale, of a sort that tended to support the perception my companion and I formed last week that he is looking pretty portly and unfit.

Thought Samuel was fantastic again today. Held the ball up really well, won lots that he had no right to win and brought others into the game. The rest: moderate.

First time visiting Stadium MK and liked it very much. The plentiful restaurants outside meant we had a very good lunch, the stewards were friendly and I found the ground impressive. The bar seemed a little short of capacity and the beer was poor but you can't have it all.

• I'm one of those who does not think Allsop has played badly enough to lose his job in the first place.

• Stockdale went down in instalments as the shot came towards him, and then missed it. And he is better than Allsop???....hmmmm....who has also been pretty poor at times this season. He does look overweight ( always been a problem ) and unfit. But hey ho, we are just little Wycombe punching above our weight. Not changing my final prediction of where we’ll finish - 10th.

• @Shev said:
    I'm one of those who does not think Allsop has played badly enough to lose his job in the first place.

As am I. Or, to put it differently, Stockdale made a mistake today of a kind that Allsop has not made in a season and a half. I'm not opposed to an upgrade per se, though, for the reasons @shev gives, it would be hard on Allsop. But it's not clear that this has been achieved.

• Stockdale made an outstanding save at 0-0. Shouldnt be ignored because hes made a bad error for the second goal, when frankly we looked doomed anyway.

We have bigger problems than our goalkeeper. Namely our attacking cohesion and threat.

• Dreadful. Totally impotent up front. Freeman strolling much of the time in midfield. We got the ball to Smyth only a couple of times for him to run at the defenders. Their left back won most if the headers against Wheeler.
    At least it was easy to get away from the car park and we're still 2nd

• The biggest problem is clearly that we often look to have very little goal threat at all.
    I think Smyth is a real worry, it's February now, so the allowance to his injury period is starting to wear off fast. His speciality seems to be running from the wing diagonally, and losing it.

But it must sit a bit awkwardly that this star loan goalie has let 2 questionable goals in, in 2 games!

On we go though.

• @Malone said:
    The biggest problem is clearly that we often look to have very little goal threat at all.
    I think Smyth is a real worry, it's February now, so the allowance to his injury period is starting to wear off fast. His speciality seems to be running from the wing diagonally, and losing it.

But it must sit a bit awkwardly that this star loan goalie has let 2 questionable goals in, in 2 games!

Yes, I thought that. Tbf neither ultimately critical

• Perhaps it will have a beneficial effect of galvanizing and motivating Allsop, after the trauma of letting in four goals in three different games (none of which I especially remember as being his fault). We can only hope.

• I think we stick with Stockdale. More commanding in and around his area and that gives greater confidence to a defense. No Darius today but Sido looked to have a good game. All players make mistakes in a match, it’s just that a goalkeeper’s are more obvious (lead to goals).

• I'll tell you something that unequivocally affects the confidence of the players in front of you far more than being a keeper that you know won't come for crosses: letting soft goals in under your body.

• Always disappointing to lose to a team who are poor themselves. We looked the better side for most of the game, but just couldn't create chances. And then of course when MK finally did threaten, they scored.

Don't think anyone played badly today, problem was no-one really stood out and had a good game. It was an entirely average performance.

Stockdale is a worry. That looked an awful mistake today and he was fortunate in the 1st half when he presented their forward who was thankfully offside with a tap in. Perhaps his fitness and weight is an issue? Hope he can turn it round.

• Their second goal had been nominated for goal of the day by Quest. Um...

• edited February 2020

Stockdale is in a different league to Allsop and will sharpen up in no time, I'm sure - although we were lucky that today's mistake didn't ultimately matter. Also, having now seen the highlights, I don't think it looks as bad as it did at first?https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11924100/mk-dons-2-0-wycombe

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Stockdale is in a different league to Allsop and will sharpen up in no time, I'm sure - although we were lucky that today's mistake didn't ultimately matter.

Don't wish to harp on nor be a prophet of doom, but he'd better. Gareth's basically told Allsop he doesn't rate him with this signing. If it doesn't work out, we'll be worse off than had we done nothing, with a "useless" loanee and a disaffected club player.

• With no Bayo, Fred or Kashkett, plus Aarons now gone, we were left with few options to try and influence the game from the bench. Nonetheless, I would have preferred to see Parker and Samuel in a front two for the last 20 mins. Can’t see why we didn’t sacrifice one of the holding midfielders at 1-0.

I didn’t think there was much in the game. Both sides looked reasonably well organised in defence and the match was keanly contested in midfield. However, neither team did much of note in attack, which made for a poor spectacle.

In the end, they deserved the win for creating the only clear cut chance of the game.

I think we are really set up for a high pressing, direct game on our small home pitch where we can get players around the target man quickly. Today we looked like we weren’t able to get attacking players forward quick enough when we won the ball, perhaps because we aren’t great at recycling possession to give them an opportunity to do so.

• @Glenactico said:
    With no Bayo, Fred or Kashkett, plus Aarons now gone, we were left with few options to try and influence the game from the bench. Nonetheless, I would have preferred to see Parker and Samuel in a front two for the last 20 mins. Can’t see why we didn’t sacrifice one of the holding midfielders at 1-0.

I didn’t think there was much in the game. Both sides looked reasonably well organised in defence and the match was keanly contested in midfield. However, neither team did much of note in attack, which made for a poor spectacle.

In the end, they deserved the win for creating the only clear cut chance of the game.

I think we are really set up for a high pressing, direct game on our small home pitch where we can get players around the target man quickly. Today we looked like we weren’t able to get attacking players forward quick enough when we won the ball, perhaps because we aren’t great at recycling possession to give them an opportunity to do so.

We've gone from being absolutely smothered in attacking options, to suddenly starting with a 3 that doesn't even whisper goals, let alone scream it. It worked Tuesday, but I'd have to say you couldn't see it working too often.

Then relying on a 1 goal man off the bench.

Bayo is still the absolute key man, and how long can we go on about it - Fred will be too.
    Except it'll surely take him 3-4 weeks to get up to speed when he's back, so will it be this season?

15 big games left.

• @Glenactico said:
    With no Bayo, Fred or Kashkett, plus Aarons now gone, we were left with few options to try and influence the game from the bench. Nonetheless, I would have preferred to see Parker and Samuel in a front two for the last 20 mins. Can’t see why we didn’t sacrifice one of the holding midfielders at 1-0.

Spot on assessment I think

• @Glenactico is starting to get a nice habit of summing up games perfectly (though I might have just not noticed before these last two or three).