Skip to content

Politics thread

Comments

• It seems that Jeremy Corbyn's Labour opponent is well placed to 'protect the NHS'...

• edited July 4

Sorry @Meursault, perhaps because this is a new page and I can’t be bothered to scroll back, your post has left me unfulfilled. Who is the candidate opposing Corbyn and what makes them well placed to protect the NHS ?

I assume not Wes Streeting !!

• I believe Praful Nargund is standing in Islington North for Labour, though obviously a patsy candidate as they know they'll lose that seat. No idea what Praful Nargund's NHS link is though.

• ‘Strewth !!

• Emma Reynold’s mum just knocked on my door.

It’s incredibly close apparently with Khalil Ahmed taking a big chunk of the votes.

Hold your noses and do what needs to be done to get shot of the Brexit Hardman.

• Full disclosure I will always have a soft spot for the Luton Conservative Club. Excellent parking close to the ground and cheap beer. Joining the party for the day always seemed a small price to pay.

• Just had a labour volunteer knock on the door here (Wycombe) as well, seeking to ensure we've voted.

It's always been so obvious that the Cons would get voted in, that it's never happened before. First time any political party has ever come to my door as far as I can recall.

• Unfortunately just took a dip into X (formerly known as Twitter). Regret that. A cesspool of hate and bile. Everyone needs to tone the language down post election and get back to a calmer footing. We have already had tragedies with MPs and this will happen again at this rate.

Bad winners and bad losers tomorrow will only inflame things and we have enough wrongs in our society to focus on.

• Good to have the Tories out, and a relief that Reform will get fewer seats than the exit poll suggested.

Interestingly, the Conservative & Reform combined vote share is higher than Labour. While it is a landslide victory, it’s a fragile one. The story is of Tory vote collapse rather than Labour vote surge. There is no great enthusiasm for the coming administration, rather relief at removing the previous one. A potentially dangerous place to be - we don’t want to be the next France. If voters want to remove this government at the next election, which party do they turn to?

Also of note, Labour received fewer total votes than either 2019 or 2017 under Corbyn, and a significantly lower vote share than 2017 (40% in 2017, 32% in 2019, 34% this time.) Corbyn (or anyone else for that matter) would almost certainly have won a big majority had he been Labour leader this time around.

• Steve Baker has said “thank God I’m a free man” after losing his seat. I’m feeling very lucky I’ve never had the misfortune to be represented by him

• Thank goodness Liz Truss, Steve Baker and Sunak etc have been consigned to the scrap heap of history.

• The hard work starts now for Starmer to win over the British public, sadly a task I feel he is ill suited to, but time will tell. As discussed on this forum the language he & the Labour Party choose to use is vitally important and must be moderate & temperate; equally their policies especially in the first few days & weeks need to be moderate, egalitarian & reflective of the centrist views of the broad mass of British people.

As for the Tories, they need to go away & reflect how & why they lost & especially how the haemorrhaged votes to Reform.

Speaking of Reform, phew only 4 seats, they essentially become irrelevant despite the rhetoric they spouted across the airwaves overnight & Farage (given his MEP record) will struggle to meet the attendance, transaprency & accounting requirements as an MP.

• No economic competence, no honesty and self centred infighting - but thank god the Tories are gone.

• We have to remember though that not all those people who voted for Reform would necessarily have voted for the Tories. I suspect not.

• A satisfactory night, no more. Tories suitably wiped out but no wiped out enough to make then impotent in opposition - we need responsible opposition.

Some SENSIBLE commentators this morning regarding the task ahead for Labour. They have not overwhelmingly won the popular vote so need to deliver and don't have 2 terms to deliver. A near impossible task considering some of the areas of disfunction in our society. Welcome to the least left wing government any country has ever had I guess.

• If you’re lumping Conservative and Reform vote share together, you surely have to lump the centre/left vote together which would be over 50% between Lab/LD/Green

• Only last week he was talking up a leadership bid. The bloke is an absolute shambles

• Morning!

• edited July 5

I think that's a touch simplistic given that we live under a system where total votes won is not that important.

Initial analysis seems to suggest that Starmer won by targeting seats held by the Tories and not prioritising increasing the vote where they already held seats.

Until we get rid of this useless FPTP system then overall votes won are a bit of an irrelevance. Just look how few seats Reform won for their millions and millions of votes

• He will be shouting through a traffic cone down Wycombe High Street by the end of the year. He's an absolute weapon. Blaming Ed Balls this morning, saying he was still confident of retaining his seat last night when they showed the graphic he was 1% likely. For the self-proclaimed hard man of Brexit I'm delighted to see the back of that ego monster.

• ha ha....I've been beating this drum for quite some time Doctor

• edited July 5

Remind me who were the parties in the last coalition government.

• But had that election been decided under PR rather than FPTP then the coalition would have been between Labour and Lib Dems. Between them they had 52% of the vote, but only 48% of the seats

• although I concede you can't really say that because under a different voting system the vote share would have been different.

I would say though that I suspect if you asked Lib Dems who would be more natural coalition partners they would say Labour rather than Tories

• Shame that Joy has held Beaconsfield. There was a fair bit of wrong information going around that Labour posed the biggest threat to Cons, including some high profile tactical voting sites. Those wasted Labour votes have effectively kept Conservates in.

• A satisfying morning. I was worried when I went to sleep around 0200 that they were still predicting 13 seats for Reform and that when I woke up it would all be about Farage. Fortunately that didn’t materialise and hopefully some of the hysteria around the cult will die down.

I can’t say I am inspired by Keir Starmer’s Labour Party but regardless, the world is a somewhat better place today than yesterday

• That might be true, but in practice they have only been part of one government and that was a Tory-led coalition.

I agree that that seats is what counts under FPTP and not vote share, but it is remarkable that Labour won less than 34% of the votes cast. And the increase since 2019 is almost entirely in Scotland and because of the collapse in the SNP vote.

The story of the election is the huge shift in votes from the Tories to Reform.

• I was expecting Labour to get a vote share of 41%