Skip to content

Lack of children at Adams Park

Comments

• edited March 19

I think every brand of football has it's peaks and valleys - Ainsworth Ball at it's best was direct, tenacious, committed and inspired. At it's worst it was drab 0-0s with hoofs up to an exhausted Bayo who was marked by two man mountains.

Now that Blooms has been manager over a year and been able to develop his team further, I think we have seen some really nice peaks of what it can look like when it clicks, as well as the usual valleys. Obviously not with the consistent peaks of Ainsworth yet, but I am really excited to see what he can do with another window, considering how well January went.

Compared to this season, we will enter 24/25 with a settled manager, a more settled squad, and a more identifiable style.

• every time we do kids for a quid we seem to loose
    • oh and the Couhigs have stated they don’t believe in the principle of discounting (tickets, merch etc) - unless it’s taking advantage of picking up a training ground on the cheap that is😉. What’s the expression “a principle is only a principle if it costs”
  • We used to do it fairly regularly - I'm sure my parents took advantage of it when I was a kid - we even did a free game once (good value, won 4-2). But the current owners basically don't do discounts.

• Surely town centre would be just as bad I'd think a ground near the M40 and the sky's the limit. Something down by the m40 in Loudwater/Wooburn Geeen would be perfect. No land left though.

• I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I'm absolutely convinced if we were still in the middle of town our attendance would be at least 1-2k higher on average. Easier for bus and train links just for one. The amount of people I know who don't go because its in the "arse end of an industrial estate" is quite high. Unfortunately, theres nowhere for it to go though. Also, I think ifollow for 10 quid a game is probably playing quite a big part now, why go when you can sit at home in the warm with a beer and near the toilet for that price.

• I imagine that if the Saturday 3pm blackout was removed that would be a further significant hit on attendances as a fair amount of people would decide to watch Premier League games at home.

• really? Surely there is loads more parking in the town centre, plus loads of people who live in the surrounding areas would walk.

I have no evidence to base this on but my hunch is that at Loakes Park a far higher percentage of home supporters walked to games rather than drove, compared to Adams Park

but it'll never happen sadly

• not to mention more than one road out

• Yes but I think people also like the idea of Jumping straight on and off motorways without getting snarled up in other non football related traffic. As you say neither will happen though. If even big clubs like Leeds can't get stuff like that done - once they were supposed to be moving to a ground off the M1 there's even the start of a never finished slip road there but it never happened- what chance have clubs like Wycombe got?

• Perhaps with Wycombe Hospital reaching the end of it's life https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-65913081 we could just move back to Loakes Park and the NHS could build their new hospital at Adams Park.

• What a glorious sight that would be coming down Marlow hill into the very center of the Chair metropolis !

• Just get rid of Wycombe Abbey and build it there

• Only if the PL started moving the big games into that slot, which wouldn't happen. 3pm kickoffs are already sandwiched between two live Prem games, so I don't think adding Crystal Palace v Fulham to the TV schedule would have much impact.

• Although I still think they might be better off making Sunday the 'main' day for games. Whichever way you look at it, it is ridiculous that the league is barely televised in the country it's based in.

• I recommend the documentary Killing for Love about Wycombe Abbey's most notable murderer.

• Having spent seven years at John Hampden let me tell you the chairlift would have been a God send.

• @perfidious_albion having moved away from Wycombe in 2002 I usually approach it these days along the valley from Aylesbury to West Wycombe. I get quite a shock when I encounter Amersham and Marlow Hills now, despite having walked up both many times.

I’m sure they’re steeper than they used to be!

• I used to quite regularly run from Hazlemere into town then back via Hamilton Road. I still regret it.

• Run up Hamilton Hill?!?! Fair play to you.

I’ve still not lost my ‘Wycombe Calves’ after 22 years in the flatlands.

• edited March 20

As I have posted so many times before WW have lost a generation of young fans.

I coached for the award winning community scheme for 15 years, including community days, small sided games on the pitch pre kick off and the much missed (my very biased opinion) half time penalties that involved both home and away fans. I still get stopped by 25 year old fans telling me what a great day they had. I also get emails from away fans that took penalties offering to by me beer when they visit AP.

The community scheme where running sessions in the vast majority of primary schools in the area, holiday courses and Saturday clubs.

We had a kids area in the ground where we entertained and involved all the young fans.

My Saturday club had 70 kids attending, at least 30% wearing Wycombe shirts. A huge proportion of the town knew when and who WW were playing and when.

If I had 20 kids taking penalties, there would be siblings, parents and grandparents all spending cash (remember that).

I am not sure why the community scheme was replaced by SET but the connection was severed, covid, cost of living, cashless, turmoil on the terrace and other pressures have not helped the situation.

But until the connection with the community is reinstated I don't see an easy way forward. And it makes me very angry.

• "Quid a kid" counts for nothing. I pay something like £1.46 a month for my son's season ticket and we still can't go every week.

• Reminds me that the wife of former manager Tony Adams told me that she was once a pupil there. She wasn’t very complimentary (in surprisingly colourful language).

• Let's not forget it was the brave xG warriors who won the Battle of Yavin.

• Yep. And I used to go full pelt, not really factoring in the fact I still had another couple of miles to go once I got to the top...

• Is it Plomer Hill in Downley that's outrageously steep? That could be a fun one to run.

• I'm no stranger to the odd cheeky run, especially round Wycombe's hills.

But Plomer Hill is one of those that is tough to drive up, let alone consider running up.

Not as steep as the Mausoleum grassy bank, but very steep for a proper road.

• Marlow Hill, Green Hill, Plomer Hill, Hatters Lane...deserve a medal if you've ever run up one of those. My understanding is that the SET does still run Saturday football sessions up at Cressex but how well-publicised and connected to the club they are I don't know. The half-term camps are still good (so my son tells me) but while the coaches are bedecked in WWFC kit, that's largely where the connection to the club ends? Could be a tad harsh but we seem to be missing a trick with younger fans.

• Had to walk up either Green Hill or Hamilton Hill every school day for the entire 7 yes I went to the RGS.