Skip to content

Match day thread: Exeter

Comments

• On a positive side: Potts, Taylor, Boyes all look good.

The most concerning thing from that half for me wasn’t the 2 goals (the second in particular was a bit unlucky), but how slow and lethargic we looked on the ball and how we completely failed to get any space through the middle, which just resulted in us smashing it long and then appealing for a foul on Hanlan.

• On a positive note -

Wigan are 1 up at Derby

Reading are 1 down v Posh

PNL are also 2 down at Cambridge

Rather amusingly QPR are 4 down at Watford

• At least I've got a nice lamb casserole and catalan cheesecake when I get home.

• He has won one header so far and that went to nobody!

• The funny thing is, the game since we went 2-0 down is how I thought it would be - cagey and low on chances for either side. Just a pity we could not have grown into the game before those lapses.

We will definitely look better with Scowen, GMac and Vokes back, and I expect to see them early if we can't manufacture chances.

• If you’re in Blooms’ shoes right now, what do you say to the team at the break? It’s clearly not good enough - do you get the hairdryer out already, do you try and reinforce your plan, do you make a few changes? I imagine we will see Low and Gmac quite early into the second half and Vokesey and Josh not too long after.

• Dohhh worreee about a feeeng

Cos every little thing is gonna be aawwwrigght.

• Somewhat men against boys but I do remember Alan Hansen comment way back in the early nineties COYB 45 minutes too early to comment

• I'd probably just tell them I have applied to the EFL to have all of our games moved away from Saturdays!

• Kit looks lovely, anyway.

• Scowen coming on

• Long season ahead.

Plenty of players to come back from injury

Never too high. Never too low

Rome wasn’t built in a day.

Plenty more Fish in the sea.

Dont eat yellow snow.

etc.

• Not sure the second was unlucky, it looked like it was going in about 3 times before it actually went in.

• What is particularly bothering me is the lack of off the ball movement to create spaces for us to pass the ball through the midfield, that coupled with the failure to push the WBs up to stretch the play means we have reverted to stereotypically hoofing the ball up the park.

Potts has looked really good, there have been decent flashes from KV-Y, Taylor & Leahy.

Breckin looks out of his depth for now, Hanlan still seems unable to trap a ball &/or control it & Keogh & JJ seem to be really exposed & uncomfortable with the pace of their front line.

• Scowen’s just put his shirt on 👍

• I did say let's not get too carried away

• No Breckin so looks like a straight swap with Scowen. Good move and probably gives Potts more license.

• The 1887 to be renamed the 7

• edited August 2023

How is Sweeney still on the pitch for them?

• edited August 2023

How frustrated must Hanlan be? Being asked to perform a role he's completely unsuited to (if that's even the plan at all).

• Boyes really playing well.

• Definitely a pen

• We've had one shot from open play (Taylor from 30 yards). My word.

• Who's 'George' Potts?

• Vokes and McCleary on, defaulting to classic Wycombe.

• Not sure how #6 for Exeter hasn’t been booked there

• Long time since I’ve seen us perform this badly. This is absolutely shocking

• are you suprised we werent great in pre season really .

• Very worrying indeed

• We’ve looked so much better with Vokes and Scowen on the pitch.