Skip to content

Women's World Cup

Comments

• Beat them at their own game, a great breakaway goal & a clinical finish from Alessia Russo to make it 3-1

• That's a great goal.

• Really good 3rd goal

• Get in

A superb game & advert for women's football

Excellent play by England & fully deserved the win

• Great game. Really showed some heart at the right time and the best team won. Russo is a fabulous player up front for England. And don't forget this is a team that has lost so many of it's stars compared to last summer. Winning would be... lets not.

I was tickled when I read the other day that someone really hated watching a Lionesses game as they had the feeling they should win which made it far more stressful than the men's team.

I'm guessing there will be a lot of men triggered by the headline of first world cup final since 1966 🤣

• The Women's game still seems relatively free of rolling about or handbags after tackles and they seem to take the throw ins where they went out. I know we slowed it down for the last few mins or so, but quite fast flowing on the whole.

• A win against Burton followed by victory over Spain on Sunday would make this one of the best weeks ever for us Gasroom nutters.

• Not forgetting a Forest away win at Old Trafford of course @micra

• Oh, dash. Failed to spot that. Hence no thumb up presumably.

• The morning queue downt co op is always made bearable by a glance at the front page of The Star

• A fine publication

• edited August 2023

Wonderful breakaway goal for Sweden to take the 3rd place play off to 2-0 in their favour. Cracking strike from Asllani.

• edited August 2023

Whoops! I should know better than to look at this thread whilst watching the match on delay. Quite pleased really because it means I can watch something else.

Have mainly restricted my viewing to England games and games involving countries likely to be (or already known to be) encountered en route to the Final. The latter on delay (ie recorded) with plenty of fast forwarding.

So I may not be as enthused as some about watching women’s football - one irritant is the shrieking continuum of the crowd noise, as opposed to the sound of chanting etc on a more selective basis and with a lot more bass and baritone.

But the attitude of one of my pals towards women’s sport in general came as quite a surprise. He says he has absolutely no interest whatsoever in women’s sport and would rather undergo severe physical pain than have to watch a women’s football match. Extraordinary. I cannot understand (in my simple mind) how anyone with a keen interest in football generally would be able to resist watching tomorrow’s once in a lifetime (?) World Cup Final.

So there.

• edited August 2023

For me it seems that they are playing the game rather than stretching the rules. Far fewer stoppages or play-acting though sadly I am sure it will change in time. I've watched all of the England games and I have been entertained...which is surely the point.

• I thoroughly enjoy women's football (as well as other sports) but recognise that it is different from men's football for many reasons; not least the physiological differences between the sexes. Much of my source of enjoyment is as @Wendoverman says, the general lack of cynicism from the participants.

Along with the preceeding Euros this World Cup has created a wonderful buzz around women's football & hopefully a lasting legacy in the countries of all the participants.

• Some of the crowd are on the pitch..they think it's all ova

• They came and took my love away

On a boat and off to sea

To a convict colony

But she didn't cry or give up

She brought me back the World Cup

• That’s lovely @LX1. Could work wonders on Tinder.

• I'm sure all the big names who have snubbed invitations to the final would do the same for the men's World Cup too...

• Good game so far. Spain the better team. We need to step up a little. But I have faith.

• Flukey goal but not great from England so far. Look half asleep.

• Another team playing this stupid goal kick routine. Surely someone in the stats team must be able to give a figure that the outcome is more negative than positive.

I do agree. A lack of spark for some reason. Daly and Toone not even seen the ball.

• Russo & Hemp look a little off the pace at the moment which is not surprising given the amount of work they have done in previous matches.

The goal was a litle flukey & came from a mistake by Lucy Bronze who had carried the ball too far & left the England right side exposed.

England need to be mindful of the speed of Spain on the counter & not over commit going forward for now.

I still think England will get back into this & have enough to run out eventual winners.

• The tenuous link Alessia Russo has to the the Chairboys is that her father, Mario Russo, is the Met Police record goalscorer, who scored a penalty in their infamous 3-1 FA Trophy win at Loakes Park in Jan 1990. He also scored when Met Police lost 3-2 in 82-83, in the Hitachi Cup at Loakes Park.

• edited August 2023

I’ve never really got the Lucy Bronze hype, she’s far too prone to schoolgirl errors like today. Even after she’d drifted way out of position there was a simple pass on to Toone in space but instead she strolls straight into 3 Spain players.

• That's a pen

• It did hit the hand ever so slightly, but it did not affect the trajectory of the ball & the Spanish player retained possession so it seems a ludicrous decision to me.

• Great save from Mary Earps