Skip to content

Women's World Cup

Can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet, but there is a tournament currently being played.

Live on ITV atm England are leading Haiti 1-0.

Comments

• edited July 2023

I support Japan and was treated to this earlier today....

• What a talent Melchie Dumornay is

• Observations so far...

-Japan look good

-Quite a few missed penalties already

-Keepers being penalised for being ever so slightly off the line during a pen seems so harsh. Not easy to save pens worrying about whether you are exactly on the line or not! Also...must be such a difficult ask to then save the 2nd pen. Stats will probably show an incredibly low rate of saves from retaken pens. @ReturnToSenda ?!

-What is it with the ref having their voice boomed out on the PA system for VAR decisions. Entertainment value?

• Announcing decisions is a really good shout, VAR tends to happen on big games that are televised and that's fine at home with commentators and replays but the fans in stadiums get left not having a clue what is going on or why.

Think you have to penalise encroachment too, there were some at the world cup where the goalie is over keen and half way to the penalty spot

Haiti look to have some very talented players, England a bit rusty, standard opening game really, just need to get through it and build.

• Think our ladies have been lucky they havnt been playing a better team today. Still 3 points is all that matters.

• edited July 2023

What a ludicrous ending to the game.

Ref blows up 15 secs too early, with England in possession in midfield. Haiti players have backed off waiting for the whistle to end the game. Ref realises the mistake and restarts with an uncontested drop ball. England touch the ball once and then she blows for time.

• And the Wycombe connection…..

the Venus women’s razor commercial at full time is shot at AP, looking good.

• A typical first tournament game. Rusty, edgy, nervous.

We do miss some of the big names for sure and our finishing needs to improve but a win is a win.

• To be fair the games so far have been ok.

Thought England did just enough & Ireland must feel slightly unlucky. Great results for NZ, Japan, USA & Spain albeit all against much lower ranked sides.

Like that the refs have been asked to announce their VAR decisions to the crowds, adds to the drama & makes sure everyone knows what is going on.

• Ellen White (retirement) and Beth Mead (Injury) are a huge miss up front

• If you like money..USA are odds against to reach final (and value to win imho).They have have the easy side of the draw. Not as dominant as 4 years ago but England are injury ravaged.

I've got USA very short to reach final

• Ed_Ed_
    edited July 2023

USA are always a very physically imposing team and this is still a huge differential in the ladies game. They and Brazil are my picks for the final, the third Brazilian goal today was a thing of beauty. Germany looked decent too, another physically imposing side, plus they know how to pick up free kicks when they have lost the ball and how to commit a foul on halfway to stop a break before it has had time to develop.

• Fantastic scenes as Phillipines win their first ever WC finals match.

• Alicia Barker, the Phillipines RB, goes to college not 10 minutes from where I live.

• Superb. I worked in Manila for two years just when football was becoming popular there. Played with a local team who thought I was some sort of God just because I had basic skills. They just needed some direction other than watching YouTube vids.

• i had a 15 minute walk from hotel to office when i worked in Metro Manila. 12 of those minutes was through about 5 separate, but adjoining, air conditioned shopping malls. The other 3 minutes was crossing main roads, and in just those three minutes, my shirt was soaking from the heat and humidity...

How you even attempt to play football in those conditions is beyond me...!

• McCabe scores a JJ for Ireland

• Katie McCabe is brilliant, isn’t she.

• It was in a sports hall with rudimentary Aircon. Lots of San Miguel needed for rehydration!

• Guessing that was the Glorietta mall and whatever the others were called?

• Yep, that’s the one. I think they were all part of the same Glorietta mall, just numbered 1 to 5... Opposite the InterContinental.

• Had a few good night in the Intercontinental!

• Payne for Nigeria looks really good

• She's put herself in the window

• The window Payne, I assume.

• Another, somewhat unconvincing, 1-0 win for England v Denmark.

• England arguably favourites for the tournament after yesterday's performance, I'd say.

• I hope so, although you fear the USA can’t play this badly for much longer.

• We played so well didn't we? Would be incredible if we could even get close to winning it given the players we've got out

• Perhaps, although I expect what the commentators were saying yesterday is true to a large degree: most of their players still play in the US league, which is lagging behind the top European leagues. Quite an ageing team too, isn't it?