Skip to content

Women's World Cup

Comments

• Some interesting results over the last few days...

England change shape & come into the form we all know they are capable of

South Africa turn over Italy & qualify for the last 16

Jamaica grind out a 0-0 vs Brasil & knock the latter out of the tornament

• It’s a weird mixture of aging and inexperienced. I hadn’t considered that the European leagues are a higher quality st the moment. Certainly not an argument being made in the states. All in all it’s been quite fortunate the games are being played in the middle of the night, they’d be under a lot more pressure if anyone other than the fanatics were watching.

• The 'unconvincing wins' at the start of a (men's or women's) tournament are a perennial feature aren't they?

• Two of the last four men's WC winners actually lost their opening game, so...

• They are long tournaments, usually tagged on to the end of a long season without adequate time to bond or train. You get a few teams who hit the ground running then fade later. This looks about right.

• Indeed. In my world...a win is a win and the unconvincing team not performing topped their group unbeaten. I would take that.

• That and what seems to be a decent varied set of forwards if we need a goal.

• Brazil looked like champions in waiting in their first game - albeit v Panama - but didn't even get out of the group. Japan have been the most convincing over 3 games but somehow can't see them winning it.

• Every one of those goals from Lauren James would grace any Premier League match. Absolute magic from the 21 year old who only made her debut very recently.

• The disallowed one wasn't bad either!

• edited August 2023

A joke that it was disallowed. Ref spent an age trying to find what was wrong on the VAR monitor. Cleary not 'clear and obvious'.

• LX1LX1
    edited August 2023

England are massively handicapped with injuries..yet a 'Southgate type draw unravel' makes it possible

• Being in the other half from USA is massive

• Over use of the word massive

• Where were the Germans but frankly etc etc

• Incredible to see Germany finish behind the team they tonked in their opening match, if I were France I would feel more confident having to face Morocco. I think England have every chance of doing well but the big threats of Australia and France still remain on our side of the draw if we get past a Nigeria side who impressed me with the way they handled the Shielas. USA, Spain, Japan, Netherlands - all very handy too.

• Slightly unsurprising results this morning

Spain comfortably past Switzerland, surprised Switzerland were so poor defensively.

Decent result for Japan against Norway, who have frankly looked pretty poor for over 2 years now, real lack of any attacking edge despite the players at their disposal.

Looking forward to England v Nigeria, though could do without the start time...

• The quality has been really high at the world cup, looking forward to seeing how it all pans out. Alongside contenders for goal of the tournament there also seems to be a separate competition for own goal of the tournament.

• edited August 2023

USA v Sweden

The finest margin you will ever see to win a World Cup match.

• That USA splodges shirt might be as bad as I've ever seen.

• It’s a shame for the women’s team that now they’re being paid as much as the men they’re performing like them too.

• I can't agree that the quality has been really high. There have been some quality moments, particularly from the teams who have players who have been professional from most if not all of their careers, but there is still a lot of ropey passing and questionable decision making. On the other hand, I singled out Germany, Brazil and USA as strong contenders at the start of the tournament, so maybe I am wrong about this too.

• I'm not a fan of international players being paid more than a per diem to represent their country so I would happily give parity across genders and age groups and fund that through FIFA. I reckon the rights for international tournaments would more than cover things and this would then alleviate a great deal of the trouble that mainly women but also men in a lot of countries have getting to these tournaments.

• The irony is, in proportion to the amount of money each tournament produces, the USWNT were about the best paid team in the world.

• Someone has to have that accolade and I don't necessarily have a problem with it being the US Women's team. They seem to have been pretty dominant for a long time. Obviously recent results haven't been up to the usual standard, but no run can last forever.

To change the subject, who else is enjoying the last few years of international football from the German men and women? I believe they have a word in their lexicon for the glow I have been experiencing on that front.

• Schadenfreude?

• Doppelshadenfreude

• The issue for many women's teams is not just do they or do they not get paid but do their FA provide even the basics?

E.g.

Canada - up until the recent interim agreement the women's national team had to pay for their own training kit, whereas the men's were supplied.

Jamaica found themselves in a similar situation & the players had to organise & pay for their own hotels for Gold Cup games

TBF the teams who got to the round of 16 were paid approx £39k per player by FIFA, let's just hope thier federations pass it on (as they are supposed to)