Skip to content

Nick Freeman, Lewis Wing leaving

Comments

• 'Freeman clamourers' ? I l know this is Gasroom Summer...but can it not just be people who.like Freeman as a player?

• I sometimes think with Freeman that he could probably play at any level, but wouldn't be the stand out best or worst in any.

• Firstly Freemans loan spell wasn’t the best nor the worst, slotting in someone else’s team isnt easy, he had two offers to go on loan, orient and Cheltenham, both were similar in league positions, he chose orient being closer to home, Cheltenham kicked on and got promoted, orient hit a bad spell, then sacked their manager a few games in his loan spell, he didn’t struggle at that level, just the teams dip in form, if I recall he played 11 times and started a good chunk, what he did learn was, that there isn’t a dressing room like wycombes, that is a credit to GA, wycombe fought for each other, other dressing rooms have too many players out for number one, bickering, head down, no fight,

• Again, is this your opinion, or are you some sort of insider?

• Freeman is a Gooner. Though he was not born in 1963. Could be family or friend?

• This is fantastic stuff. "... if I recall (*checks Wikipedia*) he played 11 times and started (*curses Wikipedia's lack of start/sub appearance breakdown*) a good chunk..."

• This is such a good assessment. Though it was brief, one of my favourite examples of this was in the playoff final, when Nick was only brought on at the death, when we were backs to the wall, and he smoothly retained position down the left and gave us breathing space.

• edited May 2023

95% of his posts seem to be about Freeman, so i suspect we do have another fine member of the "friends and relations" club.

• Or knows it as he was at the games, being very likely a relation?

• Either way, I agree with the insights. For Freeman to be passed over for the 10 in favour of De Barr must have felt excruciating for him, all the more so as it clearly didn't work.

I have always felt like we stopped short of fully committing to his talent, and it really is strange when we have that creativity and composure in-house (coming with a great attitude), and want to be a ball playing side.

• I liked Freeman as a player, probably too nice to bang on the manager's door enough and so was in and out of the side. I am not related or a clamourer.

• I think unfortunately Freeman flatters to deceive similarly to Horgan.

• According to Transfermarkt, freeman started 10 games for Orient was subbed off 3 times and on 5 times.

most of his playing time was at the start of his spell before he missed several games and never regained his place.

orient won only one of the games he started.

• Nick also played in the Championship and held his own - I remember being disappointed he was dropped yet again after a short promising spell. I remember him getting the start away to Bournemouth, only for Pattison to get sent off and leave us playing a backs against the wall type game. He also played most of the game where we drew 1-1 with QPR (Mehmeti's late equalizer) and we were absolutely all over them. I have no idea how we did not win that one handily.

• Started 3 subbed off 1 on 4

no wins

• Plenty of wins in the Close Quarters 19/20 promotion season that he featured a lot in.

• Looks like playing reularly or not Nick ran over a few people's cats.

• Dev's never seen him play.

• The year is 2134. Adams Park has just expanded the hovercar park (again). Gasroomers are still debating the merits of Nick Freeman.

• Dev has of course but is not passing any judgement on Freeman’s merits. Just providing statistical facts on his appearances in 20/21 that some wondered about.

I hope that’s OK ….

• edited May 2023

Using team wins as a commentary on a player does not give a good individual picture, in my opinion. By that metric, James Maddison is atrocious.

• Freeman was a reliable squad player, probably something that he didn't want to continue to be at 27 years old.

He was always a good player, neat and tidy, rarely let us down (if at all), but far too often quiet or anonymous. Guilty of not being able to nail down a position which is something I struggled with in my "career". Because I could play/was happy to play anywhere, the manager often thinks that you are happy to roll over when it's time to bring someone else on.

Always gave his all and did "a job".

At this level, that's probably not quite enough.

• Dom Gape departs. Just one of the original General’s left.

• In the space of a couple of seasons we have lost Blooms, Kashket, Samuel, Bayo, Stewart, Gape, Curtis, Freeman and Mehmeti - not to even mention Alife because he came AND went in that time!

• If we were to continue the 'generals' theme, it's likely Grimmer and JMac have picked up where others have left. Gmac too if he stays.

• Let us hope there are some inbounds soon or the gasroom boys will be making the numbers up.

I am sure @micra would get a slot on the wing and maybe even @DevC would make a surprise appearance in midfield.

• Based on who has worn the armband and general personality types, JJ, JMac and Vokes must definitely be three. Grimmer and GMac are two good shouts from you to make up the five, I would say.

• Who says we are still having Generals ? MB is not GA

• edited May 2023

Well, Blooms was a General under GA, so maybe it will have to be the Lieutenant-generals instead?