Skip to content

Nick Freeman, Lewis Wing leaving

Comments

• Maybe those allegedly interested in Tafazoli has seen some of his recent performances. Would much rather have been able to keep Wingy, than an ever slowing Tafazoli.

• So as of right now, we could open 23/24 with a starting lineup of:

Stryjek

Grimmer

Forino

Tafazoli

Jacobson

Scowen

Wheeler

Gape

McLeary

Hanlan

Vokes

I have seen worse! Obviously some may go and reinforcements needed, but still a strong core.

• Wing and Scowen was such a good combo, covering all bases.

And Bloomfield seemed to have shaped our style round Wing dropping deep, so he must find it a real blow.

Such is life though.

Taf and Forino need to spend more time on the pitch next season. If Wakeley is even for a second being earmarked as first choice cover, he'll either have to improve a lot, or we're in trouble.

• Hard to know how to judge Wing’s time at WWFC, a player with obvious Championship quality, cleanest ball striker we have had since Stefan Oakes?

However, he was lacking the consistency of a Scowen, for all of Wing’s quality goals I’m not sure how many games I could have said he was an obvious man of the match contender.

He was very much a nice to have but I can’t help but feel you need a bit more from a cm to be promotion contenders.

• I do wonder about the way we're running the development squad, with a few of those released only featuring as subs in the JPT trophy and then being released after a season. It's going to make it a less enticing prospect coming here on very low wage with very little opportunity to prove yourself in a competitive match before getting released. Wouldn't it be better just to cut our losses now and go back to signing a few promising Premier League U23 rejects each season as part of the first team squad?

I'm pleased to see Garath McCleary and Ryan Tafazoli under contract but assuming they were able to trigger automatic extensions on the same terms, we're not making much headway in reducing our wage bill. I suspect only Lewis Wing of the players leaving us was on a Championship level wage.

• Wing basically had a purple patch at the same time we did.

• I feel as though Nick deserves his own thread so that we can debate his merits one last time for old time's sake, but needless to say I will miss him and his smooth operation.

• Top scorer with 40% more goals than our main striker was a superb return wasn't it.

Only a player we sold for 1m got within 1 goal!

• There aren't many teams who wouldn't get a boost from 10 goals in a few months, often against the run of play.

Not sure we played that well at times with him in a two but a screamer or a bucket load of them always helps.

• edited May 2023

I think Wingy is going to thrive in a team higher up who can use his radar even better. Good luck to him!

• I'm genuinely gutted about Wing more than any of the others... 1. He was one of our best players, too good for league one, and 2. We could've got a decent fee for him

• Would rather have kept Willis over Wakley. Sad to see Thompson and Freeman leave excellent servants good luck to all that have left.

• Gutted to see three of my favourite players leaving. Also gutted to see Taff staying.

• Disappointed about Freeman and Wing, but pleased McCleary and Taf appear to be staying.

Wing, good player though he is, can be replaced. What can't easily be replaced though is his ability to score goals from outside the box on a consistent basis.

• I'm gonna try and work out how much squad space we've got, with the U21 limit and all that

• I had assumed we'd get a fee for Wing and Taf would leave on a free. I guess it'll be the other way around.

• I'd still half expect Taff to leave even though he's under contract. Likewise for Mellor for different reasons.

Feel more gutted about Freeman leaving than Wing in truth - fully expected Wing to go and always enjoy Freeman's cameos.

Also a bit of a shame we have given up on Willis, especially with an offer on the table for Wakely?! Big summer ahead.

• Horgan leaving too, but I am sure he'll find a squad - he's good at creating space.

• How many other players can boast so many Gasroom posts that consist only of their name?

He will be missed, but it’s 100% understandable given his lack of starts for us.

• So goalkeeping and defensive cover will be the topic of summer transfer business then. Again.

• Chairboys on the Net reporting that Wing and Freeman ‘opted not to stay.’

• edited May 2023

Matty’s got some serious work to do.

Gutted to see Thompson go but it was inevitable. Fully expected Freeman to leave for the reasons he’s outlined. Odd that we should look to keep Wakely rather than Willis.

After the first part of the season I’d have driven Wing to wherever he wanted to go but he was a revelation during our purple patch and despite what some say has remained key to the little we’ve done well since.

Like others, I find the lack of clarity on contracts incredibly frustrating. Next summer Will be even worse as we’ll have no idea at all about anyone in the squad.

• Not too surprising. Wing is easily Championship standard, and Freeman deserves to be playing every week for someone

• Wakely has hardly played. Odd to see a young lad so roundly written off on such little evidence. Let’s hope he blossoms.

seems a few are lining up a boo boy for next season in Taff. Never sure what it achieves. Humans are a strange species….

• After the loyalty we showed to Nick Freeman, I’d have expected more from him.

Is what I’d say if I wanted a gasroom ban from @drcongo

Thought he’d be a shoe-in next season. Nick obviously thought he wasn’t.

Mysterious times. Still, the squad definitely needs a refresh, and it’s guaranteed to get one.

• There was one game (Port Vale away?) when we played for an hour with four full backs rather than brIng Wakely off the bench. I should say the fact he’s hardly played is the evidence!

• Shame about Curtis. Love that man!

• A relief we have Young for 2 more years. Might get to see him play.

• I'm surprised Leathers has been let go, he looked a real prospect