Skip to content

Covid Refund Party

1234568»

Comments

• We bought our first house in 1976, and it cost £13,950 for a new build 3 bedroom terrace. The mortgage was £175 per month, and we wondered however we would afford that.

• That is indeed me @Malone. The Friends of Wycombe Wanderers Facebook website and also the Ex-players one. Occasionally on the first one; hardly ever on the latter.

What makes you think it isn’t me? I thought my Gasroom username was quite a good clue.

You can also see me on Twitter in the picture posted by @ReturnToSenda of Max Stryjek getting his new GK top. Two of me mates are hidden by Max but I can be seen in the second row immediately to the right of Max next to a gentleman I used to give a lift to for home games. He had plastic surgery to his left temple and part of his scalp about a month ago - hence the bulky dressing.

Can’t post photo. Perhaps because of Twitter privacy policy?

• edited July 2023

I had a quick look on the fb cast list and you do look similar to who I thought you were, but yes, very obvs in hindsight :)

Whoops.

• Found the Twitter pic. For a minute there I thought @micra was saying Tom is the new club photographer!

• Protocol circumvented!

• We bought our first house - a three bedroom semi in Basingstoke - in 1970 for £4,750. I haven’t a clue what the monthly mortgage payment was but I do recall that the only heating, apart from a coal fire in the through lounge/diner, was a massive storage heater in the tiny hall and a paraffin stove in the kitchen. We had to depend on a kindly neighbour or a telephone box a few hundred yards away for phone calls.

• When I bang on to my kids about no central heating, b/w two channel tv and walking to school, they look at me like I should be Lucy Worsley dressed as a Victorian street urchin.

• @perfidious_albion I hear ye... it was the anniversary of Jaws the other week and some younglings asked me why people were queuing in the TV footage. I explained I queued at the ABC on Boxing Day 1975 In Nottingham with my brother on the day it was released as cinemas in those days usually had one screen showing ONE film, no pre-booking, you had to queue until the cinema was full and then either stand there for two hours for the next show...or come back and join the queue...or give it up and go and see what was on the Odeon.

• in the 70s there were regular queues along Frogmoor and even up Hughenden Road when a big Disney film or a Bond movie was on at The Palace, High Wycombe’s only cinema, after other cinemas had closed and before the arrival of “Wycombe 6”. The were times when we just saw the length of the queue and went straight back home.

• I recall great excitement in the mid-1970s when there was a Bond Double bill of Thunderball and You Only LIve Twice...and that must have been ten years after they were originally released!!

• Was there a COVID party in the 70s?

• It could just be that no one could get out as they were stuck to the ‘carpet’ in there

• I think the last film I saw at The Palace was ET. The first at Wycombe 6 was The Living Daylights with Timothy Dalton as an unpopular Bond.

During the period Wycombe didn’t have a cinema, it was on the train to the manky fleapit in Beaconsfield or to the two screen suaveness of the Canon Cinema at GX.

Really depressing to travel all that way and be greeted by the sold out sign.

Although one time, being unable to see my first choice film did mean that I took a gamble on Sylvester Stallone’s ‘Over the Top’, a film about a truck driver who successfully entered arm wrestling competitions with his unique OTT technique.

It was every bit as bad as it sounded and contained a lot of Brut 33 product placement.

• Ha ha. I saw Over the Top at Wycombe 6.

I think my first film there was Jaws - the Revenge.

I haven’t half watched some crap up there over the years.