Skip to content

Covid Refund Party

Comments

• Glad I'm not going to the party sounds like no-one is having any fun already...

• But seriously, what was this 'party' actually billed as originally?

• Yep, I very much fall into this category. I live over an hour away and there's nothing about this that really makes me want to go.

• edited July 2023

I'm expecting balloons, jelly & ice cream as minimum. With any luck we get to play pass the parcel & musical chairs too.

Oh, and cake. 🍰

• It's not been sold in particularly well at the minute.

600 fans, 1.5 hrs with players including a Q&A, food & drink available - would be good to know the prices.

As some have said, I've done lots of stadium visits when my son has been mascot. Sponsor one of the players, which is easier to speak to them on the days your invited to those rather than with 600 other people trying to do the same.

It would have been much better if they'd done it from 9am to 5pm and you were given a particular time slot with 30-40 other fans. You get to meet some players, who would give you a tour and answer some questions along the way and then after your 30-40 mintues you could do club shop / taster session of the new food if you wanted to.

Appreciate these things are never easy.

• All I can find in writing is that we'd "receive invitations to join Missy, Pete, and me at an exclusive party and pre-season activities at Adams Park". I'm fairly confident Rob was very enthusiastic about how great a party it would be in an interview at the time but can't find it immediately.

I didn't waive my refund because of the expectation of a huge party in Revs but had maybe higher hopes than what is being offered. "Pre-season activities" seems a good description. It is literally an "exclusive party" but in reality not so much.

• I have always had fairly low expectations of how and what the idea from the gesture would look like in practice.

I can’t imagine that many people (if any) actually based their decision on any perceived ‘reward’ from waiving the refund. Most of us did it because a) (at the time) we could afford not to reclaim and b) to help WWFC through a uniquely difficult time.

For me, I don’t particularly want the club to be spending their relatively limited funds on feeding us chips and cold beer/lemonade.

Personally I would be more than happy with just a verbal recognition / thanks (as a group - I don’t want it individually!) from RC (be even better if it feels sincere).

For those of us who go on Saturday, it is an opportunity to be with similarly-minded people in an environment we all (probably) love (leaky roof / dodgy toilets / rip-off food and all).

It isn’t (or shouldn’t be) the time for whinging or complaining about the state of the club. We should celebrate the fact that we still have a football team to support and I hope there is time to reflect on the wider background to why we couldn’t attend football matches and the people we lost.

• Maybe we should all wear Gasroom badges to ensure the players know they are speaking with Wycombe fan royalty 😂

• edited July 2023

Spot on.

We also did get a free match pass for every home game too which meant you did get £230 or so of value back.

The club handled it impeccably at the time, basically anyone could get a refund, AND have befitted from watching all the home games on tv for free.

• What, there's an official gasroom badge?

When did they get given out!

• Seconded.

For me it is an opportunity to chat to people I’ve not seen since health issues brought an end to well over 50 years of attending matches and also perhaps to one or two players* if I can overcome my shyness and think of anything vaguely interesting to say.

For me, 22 degrees Celsius is not T-shirt weather so I’ll be sporting the ancient dark blue Vandanel sweat shirt. Be great to meet a few fellow Gasroomers.

* sounds like my health issues may have brought an end to one or two players!! Poor syntax (or something) on my part.

• @micra don't ask Richard Keogh why he left Derby. 😉

Have a good time and don't overdo it.

• I would have been happy with a voucher for a pie at a half decent pre-season friendly. Once again our pre-season games are lacking.

• edited July 2023

I quickly outsourced this request to a world famous graphic designer and got a prompt reply:

• edited July 2023

Being privy to a ‘behind closed doors’ training session and an intra club 20 mins each way game out on the grass (AP or Marlow Rd) would have been a unique touch and the players would probably prefer it to fielding questionable questions.

Or Rob in a mini goal ‘saving’ soaking penalty sponges would have been a low cost fun inclusion as well.

• Is the background a slice of American cheese rotated 45 degrees?

• Not a roundel ✔️

Not the wrong shade of blue (although you used a cunning ploy to avoid that mistake)✔️

No one legged half dragon half swan under fed beast✔️

No incorrect Latin spellings✔️

Weird crown ✖️

So 4 out of 5, not bad @Shev

• Gasroom matchday identity is a cool idea. For me the quartered masthead at the top of the page made into a velcroable sleeve band (think team captain but worn on the forearm like an old time on duty beat copper). The enigmatic ‘2’ obviously has resonance with Gasroom contributors but puzzling to those outside the camp - hint of The Prisoner - who is number two?

• It's actually a Post-It note which I had written all of our signings on.

• I did manage to misspell 'grammar' but then left it because I thought it would be funny.

• Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit.

• Isn't Grammar where you learn to chase eggs around a rugby field and monotonously recite Latin verbs?

• Thanks. I'd just about the erased the memory of being made to study Latin.

• A bit. But it mostly exists for middle class parents who want their kids to have a private education for free. Or, in the case of scum like me, it's where you go to learn to be middle class.

Mea navis aëricumbens anguillis abundat

• Latin is, in my view, a sine qua non if you want to learn languages such as French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, etc., as all those languages have so many words derived from Latin roots.

I blame the Labour Government of the 1960s/70s for abolishing Grammar Schools in most of England, and the Thatcher Government for continuing with that policy.

The three worst inventions of the 20th century: Comprehensive education, Outsourcing, and front wheel drive cars.