Skip to content

New kit this summer?

Comments

• Yeah would look better in light blue in my opinion, nice though

• There seem to be a lot of posts on here talking about 'class', as if we're still living in the 1970s with Michael Foot and his donkey jacket. I thought that, by the 1990s, Britain had become a classless society.

I grew up in a semi-detached house in Harrow, where my father worked as a typesetter at the Stationery Office. I worked hard to get to Grammar School, which was the first time I'd even heard of rugby, but very quickly found that I was much better at it than I was at football, and continued to play into adulthood.

If you look at the details of the current England team, many of them came up through the Comprehensive system, and never went to Uni. Conversely, many top footballers have completed University degrees. So the old concept of working class oiks versus chinless wonder toffs is completely obsolete. We're all middle class now.

• If you think Britain is a classless society, you must live in a very comfortable little microcosm somewhere in leafy Bucks, and never really leave it.

• edited May 2023

Sadly @bargepole if only it were true that the UK was a classless society.

Class is ingrained in most of the systems & institutions of this sceptic isle.

Their is an old saw that syas you cannot change the class you were born into but you can change the class of your kids, as many upper working class have done over the last 40 years with their pursuit of a better life for their kids; joining the post code lottery for the "best" schools etc.

There still is a working class as well as a non-working class that gets consigned to social housing, the low paid gig economy, zero hours contract jobs or minimum wage work; that have for some time had to rely on benefits & food banks & seem to be constantly vilified & sneered at by the middle classes, their media outlets & worst of all politicians of both major parties.

Equally as is evidenced by those who send their kids to public/private schools there is clearly an upper class as well as the remnants of the aristocrasy, which has not been completely replaced by the new money of the successful merchant classes. Also thankfully we are not like the US where class is equated with money & the privelege that that brings, mixed with a smattering of the "blue blood" bullshit we deal with here.

But let's all pretend that Thatcher was right & their really is "no such thing as society" & that class is a thing of the past.

Oh & one last thing, despite growing up in Gerrards Cross, going to Challoners & Aberystwyth uni & a career in the City as well as being a home owner, I consider myself to be working class as I worked everyday for 37 years to earn a living & pay my bills.

• @ReturnToSenda - thanks Tom had seen that before but I really want one with an embroidered club badge rather than the screen printed WWFC

• Neil Peters always has a Mod vibe, he should push this one.

• Just read this classless society nonsenses. Jacob Rees Mogg and Sudanese British passport holder refugees who can’t get a bed for the night are the same class?

If your posts are designed to wind up then mission accomplished well done.

If you actually believe this tosh then Jesus Mary Joseph and the wee donkey what a twat.

• You can prove any point you like, by taking examples from the extreme ends of the spectrum.

But I was referring to the vast majority of the population, not the small percentage who are very rich or very poor.

• edited May 2023

Growth in Food Banks over the last 13 years of 3000% suggests that those in food poverty are more than a small percentage or an extreme.

Equally the growth in the numbers of those who are hyper rich especially over the last 4 years, suggests they perhaps have been profiting from the rest of us.

• Only well off people think class is either gone or shouldn't be considered.

Think there's fair evidence that the UK is pretty crappy at social mobility by most metrics, you can maybe excuse away to some extent half the cabinet coming out of the same school and the need for inflation control and fiscal responsibility limiting public sector pay but it means for poorer people less of a safety net and less opportunity, access to basic services (dentist etc), justice (legal aid cuts), property (buy to let speculators pushing up rent and purchase prices, second houses while people can't afford one doing the same) and jobs (could you afford to intern for free?).

There will be better text but this quick find might be interesting from those well known extreme red commies at erm: Goldman Sachs, even if it is a bit "we've got a minute, what should we do about them poor folk"

https://www.goldmansachs.com/insights/pages/from-briefings-07-april-2022.html

• Your previous post ended

”we’re all middle class now”

I can only respond to the rubbish you spout.

• You obviously failed to spot that the line 'We're all middle class now' was a quote from that well-known right winger John Prescott, who said it just before the 1997 General Election.

• 'Only well off people think class is either gone or shouldn't be considered.'

Truth indeed @StrongestTeam

• The Nasty Party have lost Maidenhead and Windsor !! The Blue Wall now resembles a sprinkling of Mollie Sugdens dandruff.

• This country is spending £100m to sit a random old bloke in an even older chair (I think there's a magic breeze block involved too) and put a fancy hat on his head. Of course we're not a classless society.

• The UK tourism industry generated £214 billion in income in 2022, much of which is due to us having a Royal family with their palaces and castles. So £100m for the coronation is a drop in the ocean.

Anyway, as another 'random old bloke' who was born in the same year as Charles III, I say Long Live The King!

• Ah, the old 'the monarchy is good for tourism' myth. This is a very good watch: https://youtu.be/NNXZSB7W4gU

• Big Ears is worth £2bn - why isn't he paying for his grotesque PR exercise?

• Could easily pay for it himself though couldn't he, how many other things would the government have liked to do that might have added value that have had to be toned down or cancelled in recent years.

Mind you with this government they'd probably only give the money to their mates anyway. Wonder if Hancock's locals landlord has the contract for cleaning up afterwards.

• edited May 2023
  • I would rather our monarchy was more like their bicycling european cousins, with a minimal ceremonial role & paid most of their own costs from their private income streams.

Fraankly if I could have my way as a republican I would send them all out to do a real days work & take the bulk of their assets into public control; though I do recognise that for most that might be a tad too far.

• Statistically, you're probably right, although only about a third of the population think the monarchy is 'very important' - an historic low.

• "People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans."

... Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

• Was playing around with away kit designs earlier (because I'm sad). All white with very light blue quarters anyone?

• There's nothing random about the selection in fairness.

• Oh dear, the old failed Republican chestnut rears its ugly head again.

You would have thought that idea died 350 years ago, when Oliver Cromwell's body was dug up after his death, and 'executed' posthumously.

Tomorrow's ceremony will once again show the world that Britain does this kind of thing better than any other country in the world, USA included. Anyone who thinks that tourists would flock here in their millions to see a King cycling down Croydon High Street is completely deluded.

• It’s not his ‘PR exercise’ it’s an historic ceremony that has been taking place for hundreds of years.