Skip to content

New kit this summer?

Comments

• A kit's not just for Christmas, @thecatwwfc, it's for life ...

• edited May 2023

Spending £137 on a couple of bits of polyester would feel like a con even if worn for 10 years but then I only wear natural fibres mostly sourced from charity shops, so perhaps I’m the odd one.

• edited May 2023

@perfidious_albion One of the many reasons I do not wear football shirts, along with the fact I think men of my age look awful in them, plus it really does not fit with my sense of style or my sensibilities.

I would add that I generally like the designs that Hummel & Macron put out & really think the club ought to go with a smaller manufacturer...

• Sell me baseball caps, woolly hats and scarves and I will wear. I've even got a mug. A football shirt stretched across my noticeably unathletic frame? No way...financial benefit to club or no. As long as we keep the quarters, the details of the club shirt design pass me by.

• My mate bought his son the Goalkeeper kit for his 7th Birthday on Saturday - only for my mate to learn yesterday that it will never be worn again. The kid won't care (I hope!) but I think it's disgusting.

• All the O'Neills GK kits have been for one season only

• And why weren't they discounted or why wasn't he told? The shorts alone cost him £23.

£23 for a pair of kids shorts that will never get seen again on a professional football pitch!

Football clubs are conning their own fans. He doesn't go to Wycombe often - spent £50 on a stadium tour, £70 on tickets and £60 on a kit that is now out of date. Safe to say after finding this out - he will not be going back any time soon.

• Forest fans have been up in arms on the poor quality of the Macron kits this season, numerous recalls / exchanges / returns etc and now have been dumped by the club. Would put me off buying one.

• Am I right in thinking that we are ruled out of some of the more well known manufacturers because we don’t want to change the kit each year?

• Last home game of the season and the kit was still being charged at full price...

I'm working in Oxford atm and a colleague wanted to go to the clubshop at lunch yesterday.... adult shirts £20.00, shorts £10.00. Kids £15.00 a shirt amd shorts £7.50.

• edited May 2023

It is madness, surely they can see they would get more money if they discounted stuff and sold more.

• They said early on that they thought discounting devalued ‘the brand’. 🤷‍♂️

• The store rooms must be full of old kit

• edited May 2023

In fairness, it's not the responsibility of the club shop staff to tell people what they're buying is about to go out of date!

• Their thinking may be - if we sell this years end of line kit at a discount that will suppress next years full price new kit sales?

One of my daughters worked for Stella McCartney, they burn last seasons unsold children’s wear range rather than move it on! As mentioned above ‘to protect the brand’. It’s why you might see Pierre Cardain in TKMax but not Ralph Lauren.

• Obviously we don't know the deal with O'Neills. Was it sale or return and hence unsold stock is their issue or is unsold stock our problem.

Even if ours, all our shirts are (quite rightly) variations on light and dark blue quarters. Given the choice between paying say £20 in August 23 for the 22/23 kit or £45 for the 23/24 kit, pretty sure I would opt for the cheaper kit. Which depending on profit margins may well mean it is more profitable for the club just to sell the new high price kit and chuck the old kit away.

• Discounting isn’t something you really want to be doing regularly and predictably. It just encourages people to wait till things are cheaper and undermines sales as a result.

Modest discounts to shift stock fine. But flogging stuff at hugely cut prices not so much.

Does the guy that bought the kids GK kit have a receipt? I’d just take it back and then get the new one when it comes out.

• That's true, although I'd have thought holding back any remaining old kit until a few months after the new kit has come out then selling it at discount would be pretty low risk.

• ‘Polo’ shirts and jumpers but not the high end stuff - given the amount of Turkish knock off stuff out their they have rather given up on the sports brand.

• Tbh, I only know as I spotted their caps in there and it's one of the few brands whose 'one size fits all' is giant head friendly 😑

• Actually, the 'Chairboys' caps they had in the club shop for a while were good for that too. Wish we'd increase the range on that side of things.

• And still they gazed and still the wonder grew

How one even giant head could carry all he knew............

• Anyone want to buy a gold medium shirt?

I'd shift mine off for a sensible fee.

• That’s what they offer you to wear an Oxford shirt in public presumably.

• @thecatwwfc I am no expert, but the shirts I do see at Adams Park often seem to be from various eras. No-one will point and laugh.

• edited May 2023

I think most brands demand one-year cycles these days - although Brentford bucked the trend at the top level by keeping their home kit (Umbro, who I'm sure are owned by Nike) for two seasons.

• edited May 2023

I think it's probably about the individual man rather than their age. Some will just look dreadful in whatever gear they wear, it's not the Wycombe shirt.

If it's an acceptable premise going to watch a bunch of blokes kick a ball about, and getting super engaged and animated about it, then wearing a football shirt while doing that is surely not anything odd?

• It ought to be against the law for anyone over 40 to wear a football shirt, or any kind of shorts, in a public place.

I quite like the hooded jacket in the club shop, not bad value at £106, and was going to get one, but now I'll wait for the new range to come out. (i have a black and gold Wasps version, but daren't wear that to AP, for fear of being spat upon by vulgarian plebs such as @ChasHarps )