Skip to content

Match day thread: Charlton

Comments

• I suspect Vokes having to carry the entire team has led to a severe back injury.

I hope we make the playoffs, even if it means Ipswich use us as a chewtoy for a couple of games.

• I suspect Ipswich away wiil be a defining victory for Matt.

You can't rel🤣y on it mind

• I had worn my lucky light blue/dark blue socks (a Christmas present) for the games against Bolton, Accrington, Derby, Port Vale, Exeter and Fleetwood. I foolishly overlooked them before my trip to Burton in favour of a wooly pair, due to the weather forecast. Yesterday, largely due I suspect to the good lady's filing system, I only managed to find one sock; so wore that. The rest, as they say, is history.

• I’m somewhere between @glasshalffull and @glasshalfempty in terms of optimism versus realism/pessimism but, taking into account the loss of attacking backup in January , the departure of Mehmeti and now, crucially, injuries to Vokes and McCleary, I am edging towards the realistic end of the spectrum, I’m afraid.

A couple of questions arising from the interesting exchanges between the two guys mentioned above. Where has the additional (7th) playoff place come from - is it the result of @glasshalfempty’s refusal to peruse that part of the league table, perhaps - and why does @LX1 refer to him as @glasshalffull ?

I think I’ve just chanced upon the answer to the second question. Unless you have really dainty fingers, the bloody system insists on posting the opposite username.

• I love optimism about play offs etc but people must be realistic and ask where are the goals coming from. No reason to suggest Vokes, Hanlan or Tjay will get enough goals between them to push for the top six. Even if they are fit and firing. Have they got 10 goals between them?

Our defence is superb. Our midfield some of the best in the division. Our inability to score goals from our strikers will be what costs us this season. There are reasons but at the end of the day our only ‘proper’ strikers haven’t scored enough goals.

• Maybe relying on hope not maths...

• edited March 2023

Didn't realize Hanlans scoring record was so poor over his career tbh until I had a look recently. Maybe logically what we should do is flood the midfield a bit and rely on long shots from Wing and set pieces but can't imagine for a minute that would go down well with many, or is where MB is looking to take us longer term.

The fact we have won a lot of games recently (with one or two more available granted), aren't miles away, and we have some very good players gives some hope, and there's nothing to be gained from downing tools but playoffs were always a long shot and would be a very happy achievement. It's a target for the season before what may be a difficult summer.

• And not only that, but it's 3 points off 2 teams in the playoffs.

Double the chance.

• I'd prefer to go up and he gets to learn on the job in the championship rather than L1.

We're this close to a great season soon.

Release all the top boys out of contract and we don't really have any idea of Bloomy will get the budget has the contacts and has the pull to bring players who can get us anywhere near to this level next year.

• edited March 2023

I want us to go up - obvs - but I agree with this. The player turnover will be the biggest it's been in years this summer, and there's a big difference between rebuilding the squad at this level and doing likewise in the Championship.

• Rookie manager or not...too early or not...but I would quite like to go up as that's the point.

• And a reminder to us that the "given" of a home win against them in a few games isn't anything of the sort.

• Of course it’s theoretically possible and of course we all live in hope. But with Anis, Vokes (6 goals) and Gmac (6 goals) gone the remaining striker are impotent and don’t look likely to change. So how are we going to outscore teams and get the points Getting rid of AAH2.0 was a mistake based on todays injury list but at the time it was the right decision. Similarly those suggesting that we kept Kaikai and Horgan as they would make the difference are off the mark IMHO.

• Kaikai's record when he played spoke for itself, Gaz just didn't seem to like him

• Keeping it tight and nicking narrow wins is how.

Can we be tight? Chances are improved with Taf back at least.

• Your "realism" has been wrong so often in the past does it not make you wonder whether it's "realism" at all?

• @thecatwwfc thats a fair point about Kaikai, I hadn’t realized he was doing quite so well for Milton Keynes. Not many of us were upset when he left tho.

Maybe AAH and Horgan would have been a better option yesterday. Maybe if they’d played this thread would be about giving TJ chance and maybe loaning a winger with some premier league experience.

There aren’t many teams at our level that could sustain the continued heavy blows this season has sent our way without running out of steam a bit.

• edited March 2023

Chicken or the egg?

It’s so long ago now, on the old Gasroom I guess, but who came first @glasshalfempty or @glasshalffull ?

Yes it is raining outside and I’ve been stuck indoors for far too long!

• personally I felt a bit sorry for Hanlan yesterday. Effectively he was playing on his lonesome upfront against 3 Charlton defenders. Basically chasing his tail most of the time. I agree with the poster that stated he is better cutting in from the wing in full throttle mode. Hanlan has been played upfront for the last few games which I doubt is his preferred position. Tjay didn't cover himself in glory with his performance but will come good in the long run over time.

When I mentioned to my mate who works in the Premiere League that we had signed Chem Campbell on loan, his 1st words were that "you will tear your hair out with him at times" & so it proved yesterday. Like many have said, he is one for the future, but I just don't see it in the PL?

Whatever happens, I still think that this club punches well above our weight & will continue to be a fan as long as I stay above ground, which won't be much longer if I don't get off this PC & help my wife. COYB's!

• edited March 2023

Ahh so it's all your fault then ! Finally we know. I hope there's been some serious sock searching going on today ? When found lock in a draw, and only come out on match day

• I understand the argument, but I agree more with @Malone - going up would give us at least one "buffer year" before being back in L1, even if we finished rock bottom.

I just don't think there is ever a bad time to get promoted.

• Without joining the pessimistic crew, you could very easily see a treading water at best season next year, if we don't go up.

We expect a major cost cutting exercise and to expect Bloomy to be as good as Gaz was on a budget is sheer hopefulness.

• With the benefit of hindsight it's a shame we let Kaikai go, but it was the correct decision at the time. His chances may have been limited this season, but the matches he did play I don't think anyone can claim he warranted more minutes.

I did notice that neither Kaikai or Stewart were in the team yesterday for MK, so I wonder if we'll see them next week?

• Stewart is out til the end of the season I think. Has chosen to stay with MK though for his rehab.

• Oops. I spent this morning writing about League Two so the top seven reference just slipped in there. If only seventh was enough for a play-off place in League One. I’d be more hopeful.

@glasshalffull came first.

How often has my realism been wrong? I’ll be honest, I haven’t updated the spreadsheet in a while.

• I'm sure you can think of plenty!

Most famous being the "we're already relegated anyone going to Torquay is mental" week following the Bristol Rovers game

• edited March 2023

I think Stewart is still injured. Yet to make his debut.

• That's a real shame for Stewart. Actually, yes I think I had read that he was injured.

• My memory isn’t what it used be. I’m sure you would accept the circumstances that saw us survive in 2014 were extraordinary. The exception rather than the norm.