Skip to content

Match day thread: Charlton

15678911»

Comments

• I’d like to see Anthony back playing, not fully match fit (inevitably), struggling to cope with the pace and aggression of Tjay and conceding a penalty or two !! 😜

That is pure fantasy of course and not very nice. I’m on record (many times) regarding my admiration and respect for the guy, both as a player and as a caring person and devoted family man.

I think it’s very unlikely that he’ll be taking part on Saturday - sounds much too soon - but if he does take to the pitch, either in the pre-match warmup or as a late substitute, I hope he is warmly greeted by the vast majority of Wycombe fans.

• Mathematics isn’t exactly my strong point, but I’m on safe ground in saying that there are 16 teams in League One and another 24 in League Two who would happily swap places with us right now. Seems to me that despite losing the most successful manager in our history plus several key players through injury, that’s a pretty satisfying position to be in. And on the subject of maths, 8 games=24 points to play for giving us the potential of finishing with more points than we had last season. Always look on the bright side of life, what’s the point of worrying?

• He's not the Messiah! He's a very naughty boy!

• I might add in reference to earlier posts on this thread that blaming our sports scientists for injuries is like saying the fish were responsible for the Cod War, and - if I read it correctly - it’s just plain crazy to suggest that if Bloomfield got us promoted to the Championship but then failed to keep us there his job would be under threat.

• The 'What is going on on that training ground?' is another one of the Gasroom classics to be fair @glasshalffull the implication being the management team are creating punishing training regimes to crock our stars or repeatedly kicking players in the shins, knees, backsides until they have to pull out of the team.

• We're getting deep into the weeds of hypotheticals but I really don't think it's "plain crazy" that Bloomfield's job wouldn't be under threat if we were rooted to the bottom of the Championship early next season. But I'm but going to argue with you about a scenario that is a long way from being likely. It's just not worth it.

• LX1LX1
    edited March 2023

The logical, Intelligent move is to let Matt rule for ten years (or more). But football lacks logic and intelligence

• edited March 2023

19 years as player then another 19 as manager should set a record that will never be beaten. Especially as life expectancy has started dropping in the UK.

• LX1LX1
    edited March 2023

It's interesting life expectancy. As you get older, your life expectancy increases. As you have avoided infant mortality and other disasters. Someinsurance companies have recognised this and offer cheaper life insurnace to older people. Intelligent.

e.g. uk life expectancy is around 80 years. But if you are 80 your life expectancy is near 100

• edited March 2023

If Matt gets us up...given that the Couhigs said they would be happy being a yo yo club and a season up above would (fingers crossed) prove lucrative...then I think he would survive a relegation myself. The following season might be trickier though...

• I am 60...would like to say I feel 40...but increasingly have the mobility of an 80 year old. (Groaning when getting out of a chair...ooh me knees...ooh me back etc etc) It's only my cheery nature that keeps me going.

• Valiant struggle to the last week or two is no problem at all, but lose 5/10 in a row or get cut adrift early and you'll always have people asking questions, especially with the financial difference between staying up and not.

Not our biggest concern right now probably.

• You're not doing this right.

We didn't win last week, so surely the flavour of conversation is if he gets us relegated from league 1 does he stay?

• 'I thank him for getting us promoted and admire his loyalty to the club and desire to alter our playing style in a higher division, but if he comes round here and loses 5/10 in a row...I would say Oi! Bloomfield! NOOOOOOOO!'

• Whoopee. Today I (finally) received in the post my Charlton tickets... Posted 1st class Tuesday 21st March 🤬🤬.

Mnd you, Dave Winfield used to take longer just changing direction, so I don't suppose I should complain too much.

• Hopefully they won't be valid next season - as there won't be such a fixture taking place in L1.