Skip to content

Match day thread: Charlton

Comments

• edited March 2023

I thought they'd pulled off a massive loan coup at first, but nope! Agreed he looked handy.

• And tbh with the middle names (born just after Tupac died apparently) he still counts towards the tribute act team

• Yeah I forgot to put in my post that I think Gaz wouldn’t have been able to do anything different. Not sure any competent manager could have with a squad that is missing who we’re missing.

• Once again - so negative on here.

1. MK next week is no more important than any other past or remaining fixture. All games are "must win".
    2. We are 3 points off the playoffs with a better looking run-in on paper than some teams around us.
    3. There are 24 points left to play for. We ARE ABSOLUTELY NOT out of this yet.
    4. This season has been in some ways poorly managed. It seems we threw our eggs into one basket splashing out on Vokes renewal, Mawson etc. Surely that was with a view to achieving promotion? The 2 standout problems for us this season have been (a) not having GK for 5 or 6 games and (b) not scoring enough goals. We then sell Mehmeti, Kaikai and Al Hamadi and let Mellor go out on loan in the same window. Looking back - had we addressed these issues that we ALL saw - we could be fairly comfortable now. Despite this, what we have achieved is incredible, but I can't help but think we have made it harder for ourselves.
    5. Why are we admitting defeat for next season as well? We have consistently over-achieved because of our morals and values, as well as some fine recruitment. Why can't we do that again next season?
  • Looking at it - Portsmouth actually have a decent run in too.

We need...

Plymouth to do a job on Bolton next week

Ipswich to beat Derby

Oxford to frustrate Peterboring and us to beat MK. GAME ON!

The last day could be tasty!

• Most people aren't that negative on here, its easy to assume everyone is.

Btw on the outgoings side there's some hindsight being applied. There weren't too many tears shed for AAH or Mellor and Kaikai never played. Yeah, we are a bit short but TJay and Brandon have been given opportunities to shine. Didn't really seize them today but that doesn't mean we were wrong to try. Also let's face it we were playing pretty good opponents today, there's no way their fans can be happy with that league position.

• GA would have had the players playing with more intensity and belief.

I know he’s gone. I’ll get over it. At some point.

• Kaikai had barely made an impact in the 18 months he was here, Mellor is struggling for game time at bottom of the football league Rochdale and AAH wanted to leave.

• edited March 2023

Kaikai's exit was the only one I really disagreed with as he always made an impact - but then he wasn't going to get a proper run under GA, so it made sense from that POV. Would Blooms have liked him? Maybe, but what's done is done...

AAH and Mellor are no big misses, but why we didn't upgrade is a bit of a mystery.

• Kaikai is making an impact at MK. He always looked handy when he came on but GA never trusted him. We started the season with a front 3 of Mehmeti, Vokes and McCleary - most teams in the league would be caused problems by them.

Today, with all due respect - de Barr, Hanlan and Campbell with not one attacking player on the bench.....

• edited March 2023

It was @glasshalfempty who predicted we were doomed after nine games so my fulsome apologies.

• Hindsight gives a perfect view that is not there at the time...No one could have predicted the injury travails we have suffered during the course of this season, the fact that despite that & the loan keeper fiasco we are just 3 points off the play off places with 8 games to go speaks volumes about the spirit & togetherness of the squad & the coaching staff.

There are obviously reasons GA didn't bring in another forward in January when we "cashed in" on Anis & let Kaikai go, who as others have said didn't exactly set the pitch on fire when given the opportunity (yes maybe GA's preferred style & tactical choices didn't make the best of his talents, but others have found themselves in the same boat & made a much better fist of it than Kaikai did). I suspect the lack of perm signings was budgetary but that is only my view. There was lots of chat on here about the need to trim the budget so don't seem shocked that it happened.

Campbell is very much an ever so slightly more talented early version of Anis - it was always a big ask for him to compress into half a season what it took Anis 1.5 seasons to learn. He will come good & will no doubt get loaned out next season to a Championship side before either making the Wolves first team squad or being sold for a pretty penny.

What is important now is to get behind the team & staff & believe that we will produce the necessary results to keep the fight going to the final whistle of the final game.

Then & only then can we turn our thoughts & speculations to who MB might clear out & who he might bring in for the next campaign.

• edited March 2023

Not at our best today but to get a goal back late in the game when we were largely 'toothless' in attack for 75 minutes or so shows we still have a bit of character. We'll never know if GA would have done something different but we've seen enough games to think he probably would not. I think he saw something in and expected more from Mellor, Kaikai and Al Hamadi that he did not get hence the decision to.let them go. We'll never know if Horgan and Kaikai playing would have won the game for us...but for some players that have gone or we did not buy always seem to be better than the ones we have. Of the departures only Kaikai seems to have cracked on at our level.

• There are going to be twists and turns. The team that is most consistent will get there. Teams will drop points, players will get banned and injured. Anything can happen but please God, Peterboring can't snatch it from us on the last day!

• edited March 2023

It’s not a question of whether I (@micra incidentally for ease of reference) “like it or not”. I have always made a point on here (during matches) of acknowledging Vokes’ positive contributions. This season, unfortunately, goals and assists from him have been in short supply. That in itself does not detract from the fact, as @ericplant has explained to me in the past, that his mere physical presence attracts enough attention from defenders to make space for teammates.

Of course we are better when he plays. We need a big physical presence in that position. That is why, with tongue only slightly in cheek, I suggested that, if Willis and Tafazolli are both fit, Forino should be given the opportunity to add to his goal tally by playing up front for longer than the 10-15 minutes he has spent there towards the end of a couple of recent games. Someone actually suggested last week that JJ should play there and that wasn’t met with the derision that greeted my suggestion.

Finally, I don’t think it is unreasonable for me to express disappointment that Vokes has scored so few goals this season. I’m sure he himself is disappointed. But perhaps it is unreasonable when put in the context that he only scored 56 goals in 8 years at Burnley. Not exactly prolific.

• The player that Ainsworth got rid of that I think would have flourished under Bloomfield is Daryl Horgan. Obviously his personal circumstances would've been the same whoever he was playing for and wouldn't have been available today, but I think in general he would really suit Bloomfield's desire to play through the thirds and could have unlocked the Charlton defence better than Wing managed today.

It's interesting that Stryjek was rolling the ball out or short kicking to the defence a huge amount against Fleetwood but has hardly done so since. I suspect that might coincide with Vokes' injury. Maybe Bloomfield doesn't trust the team to fight for the ball so much without him leading the line. Really hoping he's back playing soon.

• Horgan has not played much since moving to Stevenage because of family issues that now appear to have been resolved & he came on late in their loss against Salford; really pleased for him & happy that he is back training & playing.

• There was a piece in The Guardian today about how Man United are sending out youngsters to clubs like Altrincham and Stockport to get them out of the comfort zone of world-class facilities and get them adapted to the rough world of non-league football, not only to prepare them for the physicality of the senior game but also to make sure they know what to expect if worst comes to worst and they don't make the cut at Man Utd. Too many youngsters who get released from top flight clubs without knowing anything outside the academy environment struggle to deal with lower league football and plummet down the divisions and the hope is that by getting some of Man Utd's talents to play there on loan it might get them better prepared so they can work their way back up the system if they're released.

• I do think this is a little harsh, mate. We are blighted by injuries, and when that was the case earlier this season under GA we went through a period of looking a little listless too.

MB has been pretty unlucky so far, but I am excited by what I see in him.

• Agree in general, but unfortunately Bolton face Plymouth in that lower league cup not the league.

• A point away at Charlton with them sitting only three places behind us in the League is acceptable, especially with our injury concerns and much weakened attack.

Hopefully we can pick up three points on Saturday.

• I thought the coverage and commentary on Wanderers TV was surprisingly good, even with only one camera. I'll do that again for away games.

As for the game, we certainly struggled in terms of sharpness in attack, and although passing the ball on the ground was nice to see, we got caught in possession a few times, and unfortunately TJ was one of the culprits. Perhaps trying too hard to justify his decision to turn down the Gibraltar game.

The Charlton goal was always a matter of when, not if, but the lads battled hard to get back into it at the end, and a point away from home was a fair result. Saturday's game with MK will be tough, they aren't out of woods in the relegation battle, and will be desperate for at least a point.

If we are to stay in touch with the top 6, a three=pointer is a sine qua non.

• A week or two ago, there was such positivity in @glasshalfempty’s posts that I was going to suggest that he change his username to @glassfillingup. In the interim, his mood seemed to have darkened a little (totally understandable - January departures and current injuries have dealt MB hefty blows) but I can’t find the post to which he has responded “oh yes they can” suggesting a return to positivity so I don’t know the reason for @eric_plant’s reminder of his premature pessimism in August. What a tangled web.

Not that anyone’s practicing to deceive. I hope.

• I found the post (by @Malone) suggesting that even the most pessimistic fan couldn’t write off our current playoff prospects when we’re only three (?) points off them. So the glass has been emptying again and @eric_plant was reminding us of how deep-seated @glasshalfempty’s pessimism is.

The problem I had (and have with every quote link) is that they don’t work on this iPhone and I have to scroll back to the original post. Much ado about nothing really.

• It’s not a criticism of Matt Bloomfield. Gareth Ainsworth’s ability to motivate players to play with such intensity was remarkable. I think it’s psychological. The players have just dropped off it 10-20%. It’s understandable. It must be incredibly draining to play with such intensity. I just found it immensely frustrating yesterday. It’s my problem. I just desperately hoped we might make the play-offs again.

• LX1LX1
    edited March 2023

Tbf to @glasshalfempty he does flag it up in his username. Personally, I will say now, with all the hard work done, and the easiest run in since Fun McFunster was asked to run a 5 metre fun run just for fun, on 'World Fun Day', if we haven't secured a playoff place before Pompey away, I will wear odd socks in Portsmouth, turn my coat inside out, and sing 'Charlie sausage fingers' during the coronation the day before (under my breath).