Skip to content

World Cup 2022

Comments

• Great semi final tonight, Morocco gave such a good go at it. Quite a different approach to England v France, much more attacking and very colors control all over the pitch. But France just get it done.

• Argentina will win the final, I think. This just feels like Messi's WC.

• Yes, that's how it should be @Shev but I'm not so sure with the depth of talent in the French side. Should be a great final though.

• When you think Pogba and Benzema aren't even there, arguably Kante too, it's unreal riches

• People do NOT like Argentina on here

• There's talk Benzema could feature - he'd be allowed to as he was in the original squad and they didn't replace him

• edited December 2022

Wow that'd be crazy.

A tough call for the manager to decide if that would actually help or upset the squad.

• Deschamps refused to answer the question yesterday, so I reckon he's thinking about it. But he's not had competitive minutes for like 5 weeks...

• The Argentinian team were filmed singing Fuck the English after the game, so the feeling is mutual.

• Argentina are the biggest bunch of shithouses playing international football. When they beat Holland all they could think about was goading them and starting fights. When France beat us their players were true pro's and were consoling our players between celebrations

• You sound surprised. It might be one of these age related things, like FA Cup importance, not liking Col Utd, and a few others you've got into scuffles over the years for 😁

• Yep.

A lot will always go political, a lot will always remember the Maradona cheating.

But simply looking at their conduct a game or 2 ago is enough to dislike them.

• Grew up watching them fuck us over with a hand of god in 86, watching Maradona being sent home on drugs in 94, Simeone being an absolute shitbag in 98 (followed up by that look on Batistuta’s face when the red card came out), and repeatedly hearing songs about how they hate the English. And the whole Holland thing, real class.

Arseholes, I detest them.

• Although I did enjoy them playing Cameroon in 90 and Saudi Arabia the other week πŸ˜ƒ

• Apart from Sergio of course

• The country just has such an incredible football culture and history - and I have never shared a stadium with a set of fans who revere a player quite as much as they revere Messi (who is the main reason I want them to win).

• And yes, they are absolute shithouses, and I'm all here for it.

• The thought of Otamendi winning a world cup appals me.

He is shit at football and a terrible bloke.

• edited December 2022

Also, need I point out that we support Wycombe Wanderers, so let's not get too pious about shithousery.

• Uruguay are the worst for me. As has been said, Argentina have political and colonial history with the English and we shouldn't forget that English/British Colonialism was in many cases a savage raid on less developed countries to remove their natural riches and resources for our gain. Not saying we didn't put/build some things back, although I suspect it was also to improve the ease of removing and administering the population and resources.

In my day at school (DOB:1951), we were painted such a different and twisted historical picture we believed we were the best thing sliced sliced bread for the world! I certainly see the points made about Argentina but the invective needs to be tempered against other facts. Have we ever "cheated" or been happy with dubious decisions (was it a goal in 66?)? Have we ever behaved poorly? (team less so perhaps, but we have a word-wide reputation for hooligan and vicious fans. I'm looking for some degree of balance in this discussion really. (Pulls pin from grenade, throws and awaits the explosion!!) πŸ™„πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈπŸ€£

• LX1LX1
    edited December 2022

This is just insulting to WWFC. I've never witnessed anything at Wycombe remotely related to the behaviour of Argentina over the last 100 years.

Edit..perhaps that lad who whistled 'I'm loving it' and the prick who took the shirt off...and they were swiftly dispatched

• LX1LX1
    edited December 2022

@ValleyWanderer I would agree with your point about colonialism in pretty much any other part of the world. But at what point did this happen (by the British) in Argentina? The Falklands have never been part of Argentina. This narrative was started by a murderous fascist regime in the 70s. Who brutally invaded an easy target (just as Russia have done in recent years) because that regime was failing.

I fully respect the need for balance but comparing the goal-line controversy in 66 to Argentinian cheating is not balance. In 66 a referee decision went one way (I suspect it wasn't a goal but no evidence is conclusive). Nobody rubbed it in West Germany's noses, and no cheating was involved.

Argentina consistently celebrate any win they have managed to compose themselves enough for by antagonising the defeated opposition (as we saw against Holland). Maradona's handball was a deliberate act of cheating that was celebrated and justified by the culprit (who claimed it was God's work no less).

In Spanish (Spain colonised Argentina) culture, cheating in school exams is celebrated if you get away with it. Argentinian football (dominated by Spanish colonials since they committed genocide against African slaves in the late 19th century) have taken this and based their whole culture on it.

• It was a well directed grenade @ValleyWanderer πŸ˜‰

• Thank's @LX1, it get boring strapped to this chair at the moment an felt like a bit of mischief! πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£

• I'm told there's a mischievous club in High Wycombe that caters for that!

Hope you get to see our victory over Ipswich on Saturday one way or the other!

• LX1LX1
    edited December 2022

Argentina attempt to win World Cup

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0APF3SO9tqE

• I have been to every world cup and euro since and including France 98. The most enriching experience, making long term friends from every country in the World in a party atmosphere.

Except Argentina. They don't want to know. Arrogant ignorant people, taught from birth it seems to me.

Watching this WC with my ten year old nephew has highlighted how much children are influenced by what they see on TV. I cannot explain how England have 1 yellow card and Argentina have unlimited. I don't have the skills