Skip to content

World Cup 2022

Comments

• I don’t understand why that sort of thing is given as a penalty. The keeper is stood still and the striker just runs into him.

• Really!?

The guy has knocked it over him and the keeper has moved over and brought him down.

I thought there might be more of a debate about a red due to the guy being past him by the time the keeper moves and brings him down.

• He’s stood still! Why can’t he stand still?!

The striker has no control of the ball either. Arguably a foul the other way frankly.

• It was stonewall

• Gary knows

• If that’s a pen I look forward to Vokesy launching himself at the Ipswich keeper Saturday for a ‘stonewall’ pen

• The 'keeper has completely mistimed it and got himself caught in no man's land. Disagree with the 'experts' there. For probably the first time ever, I'm with Peter Walton.

• He hasn't in any shape way or form stood still.

He's turned to the right.

• Must admit, I thought it was a bit harsh, keeper couldn't really get out of the way

• edited December 2022

Pundits having an absolute nightmare there. It's like they've never watched a game of football before.

Walton actually speaking sense for once.

• Everyone remembers their first time with big Pete

• The keeper hasn't gone for the ball. As I think Peter Walton said, a free kick would have been given if a defender had blocked a forward like that outside the penalty area.

• Peter Walton saying it is a pen absolutely confirms it isn’t. He’s a moron.

• The King has spoken! McCoist says it's a pen.

• Would it?

If the attacking player kicks the ball one way and then runs into the defending player the other way why should that be given as a foul? Defending player hasn’t kicked, pulled, pushed, tripped or done anything other than stand their ground. Whether they’re outfield or in goal is irrelevant.

If the game is going to be refereed like this I can hardly see the point in shooting in a one on one with the keeper. You’re only giving him a chance to play the ball by kicking it near him. Better to just punt it out of his reach and throw yourself into the keeper for a penalty.

• It would be interesting to have @glasshalffull's view on whether it should have been a penalty or not.

• One of the most blatant penalties you will ever see, the studio panel made absolute fools of themselves

Imagine if that wasn't given for England in a similar situation?

• Messi 😍😍😍

• Rules are clear that you have to move into the opponents way to impede them. Simply being in the way is not a foul.

Gasroom has gone down in my opinion.

• In real time I thought it was a stitched on penalty, the slow motion replay raised a slight doubt in my mind but not enough to change my opinion or, more to the point, that of the VAR officials. I prefer to talk about the genius of Messi, one of the greatest players I have ever seen. To think that Gary Neville questioned his impact and body language when Argentina played Mexico!

• That Messi run reminded me of some of Mehmeti’s this season!

• Bottom line is, whatever take on it you have....if that was YOUR team and you didn't get awarded a penalty for that....you would be absolutely livid.

• I don't know why people put it in terms of whether Wycombe would be awarded a penalty....we never get awarded penalties for any reason! (46 league games and counting, though we did miss one in the cup).

• Being compared to the great man himself must be wonderful for Messi. Unfortunately Anis has to wait another four years to take Albania to the title.

• In fairness to mrs micra, who generously tolerated all the England matches and the odd (fairly brief) visit to others, I only watched about five minutes of last night’s game. It was 2-0 to Argentina with about 20 minutes to go so there was no incentive to continue watching but I did see Messi’s remarkable dribble along the goal line culminating in his assist for the third goal.

As @PJS suggests, reminiscent of many a similar slalom run along the goal line by Anis this season, albeit mainly from the left in his case. The run and assist for McCleary’s goal against Portsmouth was the nearest direct comparison although on that occasion Anis didn’t leave as many defenders floundering as he usually does when coming in from the left.

• edited December 2022

Really feel for Morocco, overall they were great & worked so hard & asked lots of questions of France. They just didn't have that cutting edge up front & wasted the few chances they created. The final score ever so slightly flattered the French, but they took their chances really well.

The Mexican Ref was superb letting the game run & keeping his cards in his pocket which contributed to one of the best semi-finals for some considerable time.

France were just too strong especially in terms of their depth & the quality of the tactical & personnel changes made during the game by Deschamp. Without doubt Griezmann was man of the match & has been the stand out midfielder in this World Cup.

The final will be interesting as both France & Argentina have got stronger the further they have gone & their is little to choose between them.

• Little to choose between them?

Hmm, France look comfortably better to me

• The bookmakers have it about as close as it can be currently. Reminds me of 2006 in terms of struggling to work out who might be the favourites.