Skip to content

Trust Meeting with Rob Couhig

Comments

• Paraphrasing here but if you listen to RC interview with Phil, he intimates we "saved quite a bit" in the championship, "spent that surplus" last season ie it balanced out and are now likely to see a loss of circa 3m this season.

I acknowledge some of that maybe be expenditure towards stadium upkeep/improvements but a large wedge is the "promotion" playing budget they selected to go with...

• Wow yes, error on my part. Thank you for pointing out @Malone . Must do better

• And we also haven't hired a groundsman for the training ground either

• Lisa is too busy producing the concrete gnomes.

Speaking of which, fascinating that, following the IT mess at the Rob meeting, last night the guy with the proven IT skills wasn’t elected to the Trust board. He is probably well out of it.

• Having IT skills is lovely and that, but why on earth should that alone get him elected to be a key face on the board?!

• edited November 2022

To be fair, you could say the same about someone who paints gnomes. Lots of people give up their time to help the club in whatever way they can, but I think recent events have shown the Trust now really need to step up and get serious. Re-electing Alan and adding Ben Dunlop is a step towards that, but I think not bringing Jamie Kettlewell in to sort out the IT/communications problems was a huge missed opportunity to build a more professional and proactive Trust board. Not trying to knock anyone’s efforts, there’s a lot of great people on the board (Tony H for example) and I certainly don’t think I could do any better (which is why I’d never put myself forward) but I think the Trust could and should strive to be a more professional outfit given the vital importance of what they’re protecting. We simply can’t afford to play around with village fete stuff anymore.

• Please don’t think I’m anti Trust by the way. Quite the opposite. I’m not anti Couhig either, but clearly Rob is taking the club in a new direction, whether people like that or not, and so far the Trust has been unable to keep up. Clearly we (the Trust, of which I am a proud member) need to shape up, with fresh ideas from ambitious, driven and selfless board members, determined campaigns to increase revenue and Trust membership, more engagement with the local community, and improved communication and online access for members. Please don’t take this the wrong way, but being on the board, like being an elected MP, shouldn’t be a freebie-laden jolly. It should be bloody hard work.

• You're one of the posters I'm always pleased to read something from @Jonny_King .

I'm just interested though, are you saying some of the trust lot are just there for the freebies, or don't put in hard work?

• Someone on Zoom last night put the following question forward:

"You mention in your address that you occasionally represent the Trust in the boardroom at away games. How many games have you done that for this season and how have you used that platform to enhance the profile of the Trust and the Club."

The Trust account said that The Chair asked them not to put that question forward. There were a number of comments asking why and that it was a genuine question...

• There were a number of questions that were filtered out before they got to the panel.

• Likewise @Malone (I don’t post much these days but I pop in to have a read now and then).

To answer your question, my impression is that some on the board enjoy the hospitality side but aren’t putting in anywhere near as much in as they’re taking out and this has been confirmed by speaking to various people who obviously I won’t name.

This is in stark contrast to, for example, Alan C, who has a proven track record of success (as detailed on his election statement) yet prefers to pay his own way with no special favours.

Not trying to upset anyone, but that is my honest opinion and I know it’s shared by others who’s opinion I trust and respect.

To be clear, I think most people on the board do a fantastic job.

• edited November 2022

I'm not surprised they blocked questions like that, as they're pretty rogue.

Depends who it was aimed at as well, if it's one trustee I know, they are someone who is about as selfless in their work for the club as it gets.

Do they offer "professional expertise" or are they a business hot shot? Definitely not, but they are certainly unmatched on the dedication to the cause.

• Thing is though @Jonny_King , anyone, as I understand it, who is a member of the trust can stand for election to the Trust Board. If they have a vision that they think is ambitious and better than existing Board members vision, they are free to stand and if elected by their peers implement that vision. I have no reason to doubt that the existing volunteers are in the main (probably all) primarily driven by wanting the best for the club for themselves and are doing what they see as in the best interests of the club and Trust. Its very easy (not saying you are) to stand on the sidelines throwing rocks and implying incompetent lazy fat cats with snouts in the trough. If you think you can do better, stand and do better.

• edited November 2022

Thanks for answering - knew I'd get a sensible and measured response.

I suppose I'd just be interested who the comments are aimed at, and who from.

I had a really unpleasant, we're talking really odious bloke near me at the Burton away game last year who aside from the occasional look at the actual game, spent the majority of the 90mins staring across me at where he'd spotted a few of the trust members. He kept ranting on about how they were free loaders and just loved the status etc.

So if it's from the likes of him... 🤣

• Like I say Dev, I know I couldn’t do better and so I stay in my lane and contribute what I can in my own tiny way with what limited abilities I have. Anyone inside or outside the Trust can do that. I just think taking a position on the actual board of directors is a different matter and does require a much greater input.

• Basically this is true of every single committee ever. I've served on a few, and some of the entitlement and moaning you get from people, who refuse to put any work in themselves is unreal.

This is in general, obviously not aimed at anyone on here!

• Is it rogue? It was mentioned in their election address on why they should be voted for. Surely good for people to understand what benefits that brings to the Trust/Club. If it is simply a by-product of the work they do, not begrudging that, but it's not a reason to vote for someone.

• @malone Sadly I wasn’t at Burton and don’t know who you mean, but he certainly doesn’t sound like the sort of person I’d choose to associate with!

• edited November 2022

Yeah probably a fair point.

I'm probably wrongly thinking who some of this is aimed at. If someone has made a declaration of what they would do and then gets elected, then yes it probably seems reasonable they can be asked how it's gone etc.

• @Jonny_King yep, didn't seem your sort of bloke!

• I agree with the assertions that firstly RC is taking the club in a different direction & secondly the Trust are struggling to keep pace.

I think the Trust need to consider the following actions:

a) an audit of the skills the trust members have. This will help where there are clear skills gaps as we should be able to leverage members skills.

b) canvass non-members (at home games?) on what would incentivise them to become members

c) review the cost of membership (it is the trusts biggest source of income) with a view to raising it over time

d) engage a fund raiser to look at all possible alternate avenues for raising money for the trust

e) review the projects the trust is or is planning on doing & ensure that we have the right people engaged on each of them to maximise the chance of success

I absolutely support the Trust, albeit I do sometimes question some of the actions/choices the elected officers have made.

• Who enjoys their reheated sausage roll and weak coffee in the away end or the boardroom seems completely irrelevant to me. My worry about the Trust board is that it seems to be mostly made up of fans who are trying their best, rather than experienced businessmen who know how the legal and financial worlds work.

No, i'm not saying i could do better, but a club as close to London as we are must have supporters who can match RC in a courtroom...

• Well Floyd the members can only elect ther board from people prepared to stand as volunteers.

However of the 12 board members, their profiles suggest

2 are ex-mds

4 are ex sales marketing directors

2 are ex bankers

4 are others

Fair bit of experienced business knowledge there although I guess ideally you may have a couple less sales guys and instead a beancounter and a legal guy.

• Correct Dev. The issue is how do we engage a wider portion of our fan base with the Trust?

• Do any of the Trust board ever accept boardroom invites at MK Dons?

• Difficult though Floyd.

Those people still working may not have the time -especially for example if they are working in London or may live too far away

Those with available time may judge they would rather give their time say to a charity rather than a football club

And for some football is their relaxation away from worries about people and money and politics and just want to relax watching 11 anonymous guys in blue kick a ball around against 11 anonymous guys in red and realise that if they were involved in worrying that the club was screwed financially or the centre forward was screwing the centre back's wife or that the manager was screwing the office cleaner and hence would need to go to (at random Preston) to save his marriage, all that might take away his innocent enjoyment of the game.

• All sorts in there! But that’s the heart of the issue, yes.