Skip to content

Trust Meeting with Rob Couhig

Comments

• I heard Pete had been a little ‘unprofessional’ let’s say in a bar area some Wycombe fans. Anything in this relating to an exit of kinds perhaps?

• edited November 2022

I used to see Pete out in town with fans all the time. I'm not sure how that's unprofessional?

• I don't think he's suggesting being in a bar is the unprofessional part...

• Let's face it. 'up the wyc' was never heard before the Couhigs came along apart from a small group of teenagers. Pete was given the brief of 'getting in with the fans.' said teenagers gave it 'up the wyc'' and Pete got excited

• Depends on what he's been doing though doesn't it really.

Not that I know I should add !

• I remember he drunkenly revealed Anthony Stewart's contract extension in the Falcon before it had been officially announced

• @glasshalffull I agree with your comments about the stadium but can you please answer me this?……

If the agreement between RC and the Trust goes ahead, what is to stop RC bringing in “outside investment” to pay for the ground improvements in return for a percentage shareholding? When the ground capacity is increased to 12,000 with a new desso pitch and hospitality lounges, what is to stop RC then selling his shares to the same “new investor” i.e. a rugby club like Wasps - who then own Wycombe Wanderers (albeit not the ground thank goodness!). A nightmare scenario but far fetched?

• I genuinely think the prospect of wasps returning is not so fanciful.

• Not as bad as that time he got drunk in The Swan in West Wycombe and revealed that he had bought the pub's carpark and was going to make a fortune once he had managed to connect it to the ground via an access road.

(This story is obviously untrue as nobody drinks in The Swan)

• LX1LX1
    edited November 2022

I respect your knowledge (it would be very strange for someone to pretend this had happened). Which is why I referenced it had previous (purely on your posts).

I've never heard it, sounds (reads..never heard it) rubbish, but I'm 41 now and not wishing to stifle youth culture. God knows I sang a load of embarrassing shit on the terrace as a teenager.

But yeah...never heard 'up the wyc'' in 30 years

Would be quite fun to get a tinder date to shout it next time thinking about it..

• I think it's time for stories from 'the Gate' pub...

• Or a song from @Shev

• Depends what happened really and just how close to head office it was.

• Surely, as a very "switched on" family, the feasibility of visas would have been looked at before they bought the club? If its one of the reasons he has left, you'd imagine it would have been high up in his priorities to check out before he came.

I'm not buying it.

• Mr. Couhig has said he is now receiving offers to buy the club and the Trust board directors have agreed to a predicted loss of £3 million.

This would be a good time for any wealthy Wycombe fans to approach the Couhigs to buy into Wycombe.

Given the Trust rejected the offer to buy the stadium without consulting members while at the same time signing Heads of Agreement before consulting members, if anyone is interested they should approach the Couhigs direct in case the Trust unilaterally decide not to put forward the proposal to the Couhigs.

Important to remember remember a couple of things:

1) The Chairman of the Trust board said, we are where we are because of the deal signed by the Trust, a deal so entirely without merit the Trust board restricted access in order to avoid scrutiny, remember you could only look at it under the watchful gaze of a Trust director.

2) Worth remembering as soon as the deal was signed, the Chairman of the Trust board tried to jump ship and sought to get onto the Football Club board. He failed to persuade his fellow directors to vote for him.

• I didn't even know that The Swan was still going? It looked like an old person's house when I went in there several years ago after a cricket fixture against West Wycombe!

• I'm interested in what exactly are the issues around his Visa? If he's working alongside Rob and the Club, and prob got an income from either of them too, I can't imagine that there are any other blockers. Or am I being stupid?

• The AGM should be interesting !

• edited November 2022

The difficulty was with visas for his kids, not himself

• I have belonged to many organisations over the years. Virtually without exception they have quoted the mantra, 'what we need is younger members'. None has ever succeeded.

• I'm guessing this may potentially be due to international clearance required to play for an academy or even a club. I think his eldest is a gifted footballer and may have been looking for a scholarship / academy place.

I know at my son's football club, U15s, we've been waiting 9 months to get international clearance for a boy who moved to the UK. It's Division 6 U15 Saturday morning football and he is still not allowed to play due to international clearance. We've probably got another five or six players across other age groups still waiting for clearance. Seems mad at that level to be required.

• Judging by the number of Americans in London, visa issues don't appear to be insurmountable.

Why is the club now up for sale?! I'm pretty sure that Rob stated that he was going to do things differently than these silly British owners who couldn't run a sustainable ship............

• I've not been for a couple of years but I assume nothing has changed. The public bar does indeed look like an old person's house but the lounge bar looks like a chair museum.

• Give a small donation to the Tory party and you will be welcomed with open arms.

• The UKs immigration system is an utter shambles, largely as a result of Tory pandering to Tabloid headlines. As a result the rules are confused and inconsistent and we do lose considerable amount of talent to the country generally as a result.

Not sure how old Pete's children are. Anyone know?

When I lived abroad, my registration for a works sunday morning team was subject to international clearance. It did seem ridiculous. Anyone who ever saw me play would be well aware that I caused far more damage to my own team than the opposition.

• Did you miss the critical words "open to" from your first line?

To clarify, he isn't actually receiving any offers now.

• How do you know he hasn't received any offers. I have it on reliable information that @trevor has put in a tempting bid!

• Maybe we can ask Bergkamp to get a cheeky bid back in? I would rather be owned by ex-footballers who would have reputational damage if a club was not run well.

• I can only imagine the rage that would build up inside @glasshalfempty if Wycombe Wanderers FC was ever run by a group of Dutch footballers.