Skip to content

Match day thread: Cambridge

15678911»

Comments

• Was it Brian Jeeves on the commentary saying that playing directly is more exciting than keeping possession for an age and not making forward progress? I know I’ve heard someone say it recently and I completely agree.

• There's a massive middle ground between the 2 of course.

Also it depends on what style an individual likes. Some love the keep ball old Barcelona style, and some prefer pacier counter attacks etc.

• edited October 2022

I don't mind playing direct football, it is more exciting than tippy tappy football, I absolutely hate the time wasting and wish we didn't do it !

My one real wish though would be that we could actually put decent crosses into the box

• But most effective possession teams don't keep the ball for an age without making any forward progress. There is a middle ground.

• edited October 2022

Different maybe when I'm watching a game as a neutral on the TV but with Wycombe, for me anyway, it's almost all about the emotional investment I have in what's going on.

I think back to the greatest games I've seen; Sutton (a), Preston (a), Preston at Wembley, Lincoln (a), more or less that entire cup run etc etc

I couldn't really tell you what tactics we employed, or the style of play in any of them. But what I can tell you is how being at those games made me feel.

That's what it's all about for me.

• Off topic, but how good did the newly illuminated letters and signage on the outside of the main stand look the other night?

Absolutely magnificent stuff

• The direct style is fine, as long as it works. So much of our "direct" play though is spectacularly hit and hope, which against any team that's able to pass the ball, means play so often just comes straight back at you at high speed. Two or three decent passes is enough to carve us right open when we've hoofed it up the other end, as even Cambridge showed on Tuesday night.

• It's worked pretty well for a long time now

• edited October 2022

We have always been at our best when we mix the direct long ball and flick on, with some intricate play.

Our best use of Bayo was ball into his feet, back to a midfielder who would then knock it on to a winger or a slide rule pass for a midfield runner.

When we just keep punting it 40-50 yards and center back wins every ball, like Tuesday 2nd half, it is infuriating. I still don't understand how we do not recognise this and do something to change it. Particularly as in the first half we had mixed our play up magnificently with some targeted long balls but some wonderful interplay around the box.

Cambridge defininitely changed their shape and upped their delaying tactics 2nd half, to their credit, but we should have done more.

I'd much rather us play as we do though than trying to emulate a Barcelona, Arsenal or Man City and fail miserably.

Additionally, I agree with @eric_plant a lot of my happiness derives from the emotional side of the game and I don't care as long as we are effective and there is something to play for. I'd take a relegation dog fight over mid-table mediocrioty - it's more fun!

• There has to be compromise. That second half (no need to mention which one!) has taken us into a frustrated place - just as the events of the first half polluted the minds of the Wycombe players. Neither we nor the players have (had in the case of the players) been able to shake the feeling off.

An improved performance, a decent referee, and three points tomorrow should help to shake off the blues.

And then he said …..COYB.

• Will it be dark enough for fireworks 💥 ?

Next weekend will be.

Don’t forget to put ‘em back, folks.

• It doesn't bear thinking about how tinpot we'll look if we set off fireworks after a defeat to Morecambe.

• I know the point you are making but none of the Cambridge goals came from them passing their way through us. Their first came from a throw in and a push in the back on JJ; their second a breakaway when we probably should have had a penalty; their third an unchallenged header from a corner.

• Even if you play wonderful one-touch passing football, the most dangerous ball you can play is a long ball over the top. No-one expects it.

• Great observation and I agree. 20 minutes of Bayo would have caused havoc to their defence.

• The problem was that by then our defence had already caused havoc for us 🤦🤦

• We all know that Bayo WOULD have caused havoc. But he won't cause havoc anymore because he doesn't play for us.

He was one of a kind that we were lucky to have for as long as we did. It is almost 100% definite that we will never see any player as influential as him again. I do wish we could have held on to him in a coaching or ambassadorial role. He would have been great to have around the place but let's move on.

• edited October 2022

Cloughie said if you could win a tackle, head the ball and pass the ball, he could make a footballer of you. And his advice was often, “Win the ball and pass it to a team mate who is better than you”.

In the modern game at the higher level I would now add the ability to run like an athlete is useful.

I was taught to coach by Geoff Pike, the former West Ham cup winner. He said at West Ham he was taught to get the ball to the furthest forward player as quickly as possible.

There are so many ways to play our wonderful game, that is why we like it. A team with 25% possession can win a cup tie.