Skip to content

Match day thread: Cambridge

Comments

• 84th minute subs when 3-1 down - now we'll show them!

• The sad reality is we struggle to score more than one goal a game, generally, and until that changes consistently, we are going to struggle to rack up enough wins.

• How many times has the Cambridge GK wandered out of the box with the ball in his hands?

• I’ve noticed it time and again. Glad you mentioned it because when I used to comment on that (at Adams Park, people told me not to be so picky and what difference does it make.

• I'd say it doesn't usually, but he's really pushed his luck with it.

• Feel for Vokes with this service

• We couldn't finish a children's book at the moment.

• Horrible.

• Its the hope or in this case lack of consistency that kills you

• We got suckered in tonight.

• Great strike from Wing to bring some semblence of respectibility to the score line.

• I think today showed by contrast how amazing Forino is, though we already knew it.

• The lack of composure from us in the second half was very very disappointing

• They couldn’t get the first half frustration out of their heads unfortunately.

Extremely frustrating.

• That was absolute rubbish, and we can’t blame the ref as bad as he was.

• It was the full bad result Bingo for us tonight unfortunately.

Early goal against

Soft disallowing of immediate response.

Hit inside of the post.

Controversial no penalty award, opponents go down the other half and score

Come out flat

Forget how to attack

Forget how to defend

The irony of it all is that I am convinced the whole narrative hung on that disallowed goal, and we would be talking about a 4-1 win otherwise.

• Positives:

Danny Senda on commentary. Fantastic insight, someone who would be a useful addition to our back room team with the way he understands the game.

Max - a fantastic save to keep us in the game. Not a lot he can do when our defenders stand off and allow shots to come in from distance. This is something Gaz said he is happy with in a recent interview and since he said it, we have conceded two goals from outside the box.

Taff - probably back amongst the squad at the weekend and boy do we need him. With him and Forino missing, we look so light at the back.

• Danny pointed out how bad the ref was with the booking in stoppage time, what was the point?

Also, what were we talking about at half time that we didn't manage to calm down

• We can blame the ref as much as we like, and yes he was dreadful.. but so was our defending and our crossing

• Yes, that 98th minute consolation changed everything. My point is no longer valid. Nothing to do with the fact we have scored more than one goal exactly ONCE in the nine league games before this one, and were a whisker away from making it nine from ten.

• Difficult to get something from the game when you concede 3 goals - shocking defensive unit tonight. Need to work out how to play with more possession against teams who will try to out Wycombe us. Needs some fresh starting faces on the weekend I think

• Not a bad performance at all, but Cambridge have lost 5 in a row, so no surprise they were going to break up the game and make things as difficult as they could for us, we'd do the same in their position.

Defensively poor, perhaps not a surprise with Forino missing. Mawson had a rare off night. Not much wrong going forwards, played some great stuff, should've scored more than 2. Ref wasn't great, but we got too frustrated, something to learn from.

• First Half: Brazil with bad luck.

Second half: Biggleswade Under 12s who just met.

• edited October 2022

We deserved nothing from that game after our second-half performance - passive and only Wing's fantastic balls ever looked like exploiting their high line (otherwise, we just lofted it up a bit aimlessly) - but that set of officials shouldn't be anywhere near another game for the foreseeable future.

• agreed that the Disco Danny commentary was absolute quality - more please.

• ‘It’s me, hi, I’m the problem it’s me.’

• So what you meant to say was in fact...

"The sad reality is we struggle to score more than the oppostion, generally, and until that changes consistently, we are going to struggle to rack up enough wins".

• Some good crosses in the first half, didn't really replicate that second. But yeah, it goes without saying our defending was shambolic.

• edited October 2022

Oh, bloody hell, the “highlights” have just started on my laptop. Time to shut down and (for me) to shut up. Zzzzzzzz.