Skip to content

Match day thread: Cambridge

Comments

• No, I actually meant what I said as I have a pretty firm grasp of critical thought and the English language. Do you think we can get in the playoffs scoring no more than one a game? Oh sorry, one a game 8 out of 10 games with a late consolation in one of the other two?

• Danny Senda was great on comms wasn’t he? I wonder if he’d be interested in replacing Matt Bloomfield.

• I don't think Colchester are going to sack him quite yet! (Arf).

• Didn't think we were that bad 2nd half, but Cambridge were never going to let us dictate things and get into the rhythm we had in the 1st half. The goal on half time was a complete game changer.

Plenty of frustrations, but also lots to admire in that performance. Taking our Wycombe hats off for a moment, let's be honest, it was a cracking game. Chances galore at both ends.

• Their No.4 and No.7 both had excellent games.

• Curious game. Whilst we looked great in parts, arguably GMac, Anis and Alfie had off games. Defensively we looked disorganised. Sammy looked sharp but got the wrong service and Max made some top drawer saves. I was impressed by Wing again. Shame that goal wasn’t 10 minutes earlier.

Scowen and Forino and Taf missing are huge losses.

• Very poor result against a team that has lost the last 5 . Defensively all over the place. Certainly won’t get into the playoffs playing like we did today. Hopefully we can get Forino or Taff back from injury.

• That thought crossed my mind (especially as he used “we” throughout !). But coaching Charlton youngsters is probably better paid.

Assuming he still lives locally, the travel costs to and from Charlton must be pretty hefty though.

• Possession can do one.

• We seemed to go from playing incisive football in the final third in the first half, to just lobbing high balls into the box in the second.

• edited October 2022

Ironside destroyed Grimmer so badly in the opening 15 mins that Ainsworth had to drag Alfie in to double up on him, leaving JJ overly exposed. Cambridge with a classic hit and run performance pinging it up to their hold up striker and then time wasting for the entire second half. You hate to see it.

Edit - for my own sanity, I do hope that’s the last I have to see Grimmer in a Wycombe shirt. 18 months of consistently poor performances.

• edited October 2022

What a disappointing game that was. A knock to our momentum and such an unnecessary waste of points.

Forino/Taf a huge miss, and of course the Scowen shaped hole again.

Horrible performance from the ref. Misses the pen then they score immediately after. Rules Vokes goal out for some reason.

Plus just generally fussy and kept getting their medical guy on for their keeper's continually feigning injury.

Didn't book their guy from impeding the keeper's kick which is always a booking.

Classic crap sort of autumn/winter midweeker really.

Need to hit back immediately at the weekend.

• I really do like Ironside (even more so now I've just found out he's from Middlesbrough with a name like that).

• What an infuriating game

Some dreadful defending cost us in the first half but you can’t ignore that both goals were also excellent finishes. Whilst we passed it well and looked a constant threat we didn’t actually test their ‘keeper. That said, it was working and we should have continued with that approach.

Instead we came out second half and went completely one dimensional with long ball after long ball. I bet Cambridge couldn’t believe their luck as they mopped up each time and with one swift pass had a clear run on our goal.

The ref was very poor all round and we can feel hard done by that his decisions probably contributed to the defeat but there was also plenty we should have done better.

• edited October 2022

I do think we fall between two stools with JJ and Obita, as we almost end up having to play both and get stuck in a three at the back as they balance each other out a bit. But when it goes wrong (JJ left exposed) it goes horribly wrong. I do hope we prioritize a decent defensive LB next summer, no matter what division we are in. That's not to say get rid of Obita either - I would just almost rather have him as a wide left attacking option, as he finds dangerous positions even when having a bad game.

I don't know what to make of GMac, to be honest. In tracking the MOTM awards, it's hard not to notice he has had very few dominant games since early last season, but he has such fantastic pedigree that it might seem absurd to suggest resting him. I don't want to base everything off MOTM votes, but the much maligned Horgan has more votes than GMac in half the starts (31 votes off 5 starts to 29 votes off 10 starts). I am not sure whether age is catching up to him and he is living off past glories a little, or if that is just incredibly harsh on someone who has had so many fantastic moments for us. Any thoughts?

• Made me chuckle. It does sum the game up although with a mildly exaggerated slant!

• Well that was inevitable. At least GA recognised what went wrong - we were terrible in defence. Max made a couple of incredible saves to keep us in it. Their keeper made none?

First half ball on the ground lovely stuff. Second half let’s lump it to Vokes and see him not win a single header. Surely he has a voice where he can say ‘stop doing that’.

Wing superb. Six or so sub par. A couple Obita and JJ were just horrible. Inept. Unrecognisable.

We go again

• 35% aerial win rate for Vokes might well be his lowest in a Wycombe shirt

• Getting counter attacked for the second goal is inexcusable really. We’ve got 5 subs now and the referees are fucking dreadful so you can normally give away a cheap foul without any jeopardy whatsoever. It is cynical but that’s the way the rules, and inept officiating, have taken the game. When we have consistent pressure as we did tonight someone should be committing a foul to prevent the breakaway goal.

• I knew we were fucked when the ref and linesmen came out in a yellow kit

• I just don't ( and never really have) think we play to his strengths. To me, he shouldn't be on the end of goal kicks trying to flick the ball onto others, get the ball out wide and he should be on the end of crosses into the box, I'm convinced he'd score a lot more with better service

• My biggest concern about not challenging this season is where the hell it leaves us for next season.

• Re McCleary, he is best when he is explosive with the ball at his feet. The reality is he is doing very well to be playing at such a high standard in his mid / late 30’s but expecting him to do it week in week out for 90 mins is unrealistic I suppose. Personally I’d give him an hour ish at home games and get Kai Kai / Horgan on for him and use him as an impact sub for away games.

• A couple of atrocious refereeing decisions made us lose our composure and we need to get back to staying switched on and in the game no matter how bad the officials are.

At times we played Cambridge off the park but once we got frustrated we let the game open up and let them run at us.

On to Saturday.