Skip to content

Match day thread: Cambridge

Comments

• A bit too cup nearly empty for my liking.

I don't think we'll have quite the turn over in players a lot seem to think.

• edited October 2022

Yep, next summer will see the biggest squad upheaval in a very long time - which is largely why I don't expect Gaz and Dobbo to be here next season. And I worry about our lack of lineage in many key positions on the pitch. We needed to be more forward-thinking this summer.

• If we go up then that changes the complexion of things for the better, but we're approaching a point of significant player turnover in any case.

• I don't mean to sound like that at all. I accept that it could be very different. We don't know what we are paying players and it may be in their interests financially to stick around. I hope so.

I'd like to think that Forino, Mawson, Scowen and Mehmeti will repay the faith we have shown in them, but also accept that offers don't come around often and that loyalty in football is near 0%. No time for sentiment and all that.

The biggest signing for us would be to pay GA and Dobbo a big wage and keep them here - I can't imagine anyone else in charge of our wonderful club.

• If we can keep Forino (a big if) I could live with a youngish spine of Stryjek-Forino-Gape-Hanlan to build around.

The reality is that (as @Malone stated above) we are unlikely to lose every major player, so it does take a lot of guesswork to have a solid idea of what our actual strengths and weaknesses will be come transfer time.

• Agreed. And a lot will depend on if we strengthen/where we finish this season/if GA is still here.

Players' need a sense of success in order to want to stick around. We have been blessed in recent times that a lot of players have "ties" to Wycombe. Not many of the current crop do.

We will be fine either way. Somebody touched on identity. We DID have an identity. Clubs and fans still associate us with that identity - but I'm yet to see evidence of it this season (less Peterborough at home). I'm not joking, and as pathetic as it sounds - I was nearly in tears of joy at that second half display when the 3rd when in. THAT moment was the Wycombe that I LOVE.

• As much of a loss as Bayo...we also miss Stewart, Blooms and Darius Charles. Cult heroes.

Drove past Wembley the other day. Wife asked "what's up?".

My reply was...."I just want my son's and I to see Wycombe win at Wembley in my lifetime"

• edited October 2022

Yes, that Close Quarters team was the definition of punching above it's weight. There were complete on-offs in that no-one will ever be like Bayo ever again, and JJ had one of the best deliveries on the planet. They were clutch (only 4 points dropped from winning positions), tenacious and utterly iconic. It was also a very quotable season, from "Our house" to "Elephant in a tree". Everyone knew their role and it was a small squad with fantastic unity.

I miss Alex Samuel a lot too - he seemed to personify much of that never say die attitude. A limited talent with limitless drive and effort.

• We have indeed.

The poor standard of officiating allows teams to time waste, which is detrimental for everyone.

• edited October 2022

It actually infuriates me, because it would just take a couple of easy rule changes to do away with so much unwatchable gamesmanship, such as a yellow card if you touch a ball awarded to the other side, or genuine five second count offs at dead ball situations. Not everything can be fixed- it can never be proven someone is faking an injury, for example - but the viewing experience could be massively improved overnight if there was a modicum of wisdom or leadership at the highest levels. Ultimately it is the incompetent governing powers who are most responsible, as all teams and players will take a mile for any inch given.

• edited October 2022

Agreed @shev.

Cambridge's keeper was surely one of the worst examples of cheating in recent memory.

He went down about 4 or 5 times, supposedly needed the medical guy on a few times.

Even when we scored in the 97th he was battling to try and block us getting the ball.

And seemingly couldn't just catch a simple ball without needing to go down on the floor with it.

• We've got a terrace that gleefully songs "time-wasting bastards, we know what we are" most weeks

Unlike some fans, I hate it when we waste time, always have done. But even I realise that we of all fans just have to shut up and take it on the chin when teams do it against us.

Sort our own house out first, then we can have a go at others.

• Spot on Eric.

We were the worst for it three seasons ago but now do it a lot less, other teams are doing exactly what we did three/four seasons ago.

• Likewise @eric_plant .

Following Torquay we’ve ‘managed games’ in the most cynical fashion, only really shaking it off last season.

• Can't remember the last time I thumbed up @eric_plant, but absolutely agree with that. Embarrasses me every time we do it.

• that sounds absolutely filthy

• I loved it when we needed to do it - we absolutely mastered the art - but it's unnecessary and annoying now.

• Actually that's a great point @ReturnToSenda - I didn't mind it so much when we were punching so far above our weight.

• edited October 2022

Maybe the terrace chant could be changed to “you’re time wasting bastards, you know who you are”.

• I put it in the same bracket as hoofball: a horrible way to play the game but palatable when we lacked the quality to play proper football. We really don't need to be doing it now.

• That's a nonsensical take

• Exactly what is ‘proper’ football? Where in the laws of the game does it state that you have to make x number of passes before you can score a goal? Was Liverpool’s winning goal against Manchester City not ‘proper’ football? This game is all about winning and as long as you do so within the laws that is all that matters.

• I'd say proper football should at least include the ability to pass to a teammate.

• edited October 2022

I'd just like to see us maximise our quality by keeping the ball more and taking the game to the opposition. (Salah's goal v City was from an exquisite pass by the goalkeeper, not a hoof. See also: Haaland's first goal v Brighton last weekend.)

• We'd all like a bit more champagne football, but it's generally fine when you win.

If you're playing a terrible style and not winning, that's when you have real problems.

But I'm not sure the style is that poor mostly, not with the likes of Freeman, Horgan, Mehmeti and McCleary out there.

• We've shown glimpses of it, but why we can't (or won't) sustain it got more than a handful of games at a time I don't know. It's infuriating because this is such a talented group of players. Mawson, Forino, Taf, Scowen, Wing, Freeman, Mehmeti, McCleary, Horgan, Vokes... All great on the ball and they don't get to show that as much as they should.

• But surely you can see that wasting time and feigning injury belong in a different category to playing directly?

That shouldn't really need explaining

• The style of play debate will rage on forever. I tend to agree with Alan; I don't think there's a right or a wrong way to play the game.

• The system won’t let me download quotes at present but I did have a little chuckle at @drcongo’s post at 10.51 and @eric_plant’s response !

• As I said, as long as you play within the laws of the game-and the examples you gave are punishable by a yellow card-I don’t see anything wrong with mixing things up between a long ball (not an aimless punt) and short passes. I agree that the latter are more aesthetically pleasing on the eye, but that doesn’t make that style superior.