Skip to content

22 / 23 Season Attendance Prediction Competition

Comments

• Thanks @railwaysteve for your kind recognitions. I'm hoping my decent predictions for the Ipswich game will give me a deserved bump up the table?!! Ill wait and see 🙃🤷‍♂️

• After the very satisfying Ipswich Game:

Lots to say this week because a fair few people were close.

Many congratulations to @a40 who regains the top of the table, with the Forecaster of the Week title as well with a prediction of 7620. Congratulations also on reaching a sub 100 average for your best ten forecasts on Match 22.

[The actual attendance 7602 with 4990 home fans].

I am also well pleased with myself for reaching a sub 100 score for the first time over the last five seasons.

@NewburyWanderer also landed a good score on Saturday and keeps clear in 3rd place of the chasing group within which @bookertease in 5th should be noted after landing a 2nd best score of 71 in the Ipswich game.

@Erroll_Sims and @Alexo are both back in the top ten and that part of the table is really close, with anyone in the top twelve in reach of 4th place if the numbers go right.

There is no 13th position this week as @DJWYC14 and @SmiroludyBlue have exactly the same scores. @DJWYC14 and @Shev were the two who moved up 5 places or more this week.

@thecatwwfc deserves congratulations and credit for moving off the bottom of the table having just made the 13 forecasts from Match 10 - the Sheffield Weds game. That part of the table is now also close - anyone in the bottom 4 can move out of that zone in a single game if the numbers work for them.

@micra: it is well worth noting that you are now well clear of that zone and there needs to be some remarkable numbers to drop you back into the bottom 4.

There are so many forecasters with scores in the 200's at the moment - in football terms you could say that only 5 or 6 points separate @micra in 26th place from @Alexo in 10th.

Finally there are congratulations due to @ryan_w_kirkby2 and @Will_i_ams who both recorded there best score of the season and now have Ipswich (h) - the biggest home attendance of the season so far - as their personal best.

Happy predicting and Seasons Greetings to all. Festive Game threads up soon .....

• Thanks @railwaysteve

More credit to you for taking the time to run this for us.

• Just seen your update @railwaysteve. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I hope to maintain the recent improvement.

@a40 - look out !!

• I’ll be be keeping an eye out Micra. I think you’ll definitely be nearer the mark than me today. Improved form, decent weather and the first time at home for Boxing Day in a while could produce a bumper crowd.

• Much too bumper @a40 ! But I think I got the away following right at 1200. Looked more, to be honest.

• After the very satisfying Bristol Rovers Game:

@a40 was right about the bumper crowd - I was wrong about it not making much difference to the table.....

No change at the top, @a40 and myself did not forsee anything like that size of crowd, @NewburyWanderer in third was Forecaster of the Week and recorded a 10th best of the season score and so closed in on the top two.

However as an illustration of just how tight the table is at the moment @DJWYC14 was in 12th, recorded a score of 254 for the Rovers game, a new 8th best and dramatically jumped 6 places up the table.

@Glenactico, @wwfcblue and @ryan_w_kirkby2 all also recorded scores which improved their average, but none of them by enough to improve their position in the table.

@MindlessDrugHoover also improved score and jumped 2 places and to illustrate that nobody is adrift in this competition - @YorkExile and @thedieharder also improved scores and closed in on those above them.

It is halfway through the season and although only 31 forecasters have predicted at least 10 times, there are 45 individuals who have made at least one prediction. So the table for positions 32 - 45 will be published on this occasion anyway and for future games unless anyone objects.

This table for 'The Occasionals' is ordered by best prediction so far, rather than by average of best ten. At the end of the season there is

At the end of the season there will be a table with the best individual predictions as well the official 'Tour de Season' competition.

The other reason for including this table is that @therabbittest has reached 9 predictions - @LDF is on 8, @Wendoverman on 7, @peterparrotface on 6, and @EJN is on five - so there is a reasonable chance they will reach 10 by the end of the season and be promoted to the main table. @thecatwwfc is an example of someone who did not predict the first nine games but now features within the main table.

Apologies to anyone who was trying to forget they had ever predicted - Burton and Bolton were difficult games to predict as they happened early in the season.

Happy predicting for the gate at Plymouth, last game of this year and first of the 2nd half of the season.

• After the Plymouth Away Game:

Well this prediction game is turning out to be quite like the Championship, with dramatic movements possible in short spaces of time.

Many congratulations to @a40 who continues to lead after being crowned Forecaster of the Week on another occasion. You are the only forecaster to have three predictions which have been within 10 of the actual attendance and Plymouth away was your third.

Despite equaling my best prediction of the year (missing by 12), I fall back a little further behind the leader. The top two are the equivalent of about 10 points clear. We have only just started the second half of the season so there absolutely is plenty of time.

Congratulations to @therabbittest who joins the table for the first time having made 10 predictions. The gap to those above is about the equivalent of 7 or 8 points and those in that 'drop zone' have all been scoring well recently but @thecatwwfc's current position proves that it is possible to bridge that sort of gap. [No pressure then]

Congratulations to @twizz who climbed 7 places with a 3rd best prediction of the season so far and to @Glenactico who climbed 8 places, also with a 3rd best personal prediction so far.

Congratulations to @DevC who rather fittingly was the only person to record a personal best for the season so far with this far flung match.

Congratulations to @SmiroludyBlue who, along with @Twizz rejoins the top ten this week.

The table is tight around the middle - there is about the equivalent of 6 points between @micra who has just cleared himself out of the 'relegation zone' to @Twizz who is firmly in the 'play-off' zone.

Happy Predicting - please do not forget the Posh away game next year.

• edited January 2023

After the Peterborough Away Game:

This has taken a little while, indeed most of this year so far. Everyone overestimated the crowd, but there were some dramatic moves in a tight table for people who recorded scores in the 100 - 250 range. @thecatwwfc lead the way with a forecast that was out by 107, personally a third best of the season to take a position two places higher, and within reach of 20th position over a single game if the numbers go well.

In the tightest part of the table a good score by Glenatico gained 6 places to reach 9th position and @robin also entered the top ten just behind.

All these closed in on the top three who did not register a scoring prediction, and so remain unaltered in position. @Glenactico in 9th and @DJWYC14 in 11th can now catch 3rd with the forthcoming Sheffield Wednesday home game if the numbers go well for them.

@Shev also takes a flyer up the table with a score of 113, the second best score of the day and also a second best for @Shev for the season so far.

Happy predicting to all for the big game against Sheffield Wednesday.

• After the Sheffield Wednesday Home Game:

Many congratulations to @a40 who remains top of the table - neither of the top two register a score in their top ten.

@NewburyWanderer in third place did register a score that counted and narrows the gap above and extends the gap below to now be the equivalent of three points clear of the chasing group, which really is very tight indeed. @SmiroludyBlue in 16th is within reach of 4th place with a single spot on prediction if other scores go well.

Congratulations also go to @perfidious_albion who leaps into the top ten, also moving into the top ten were @DJWYC14 and @Shev.

A welcome to the table is due to @LDF who recorded a tenth prediction.

Next game on Saturday is the Quarters Derby.

• Well the Quartes Derby was off because of a glacier on the pitch at the Memorial Ground, however we did beat our plucky non league friends from up the road on Tuesday and cause a meltdown on their forum.

I have saved this a bit for the day after another lost Saturday game, when normally the Gasroom would be full of debate but it is quiet this morning so:

After the Oxford Home Game:

This exciting game produced a fair few changes, illustrating just how close a lot of the table is. The best comparison is the current Championship table.

First many congratulations to myself - reaching the top of the table - and commiserations to @a40 who has graced the top spot since Matcch 22, the Ipswich game. It was close this game too, both @a40 and myself gained new 9th best predictions with the Oxford game [115and 155 respectively] with the actual attendance almost midway between our two predictions. I had a worse previous 10th best prediction to discard as they were 225 and 166 respectively. For the future that situation is reversed and it might be 'goal difference' all the way down to the line.

@NewburyWanderer held onto 3rd place, only just missing out a making a prediction which matched into the personal top ten so far.

However just behind @NewburyWanderer it is so close, prior to the Oxford game you could say 3 points separated 4th from 16th in the table and so it proved. @perfidious_albion moved up from 9th to 4th [prediction was166 out for the game and a new personal 5th best]. @PJS moved up from 11th to 5th [146 out for the game and a new personal 6th best] . @SmiroludyBlue moved up from 16th to 7th [only 64 out on the game and a new personal 2nd best]. I reckon it now looks like 2 points separating the thirteen places from 16th to 4th.

@Erroll_Sims and @ForeverBlue deserve mentions for being the other big movers in the top part of the table, now solidly in that very tight bunch.

Congratulations are due to @YorkExile and @thedieharder who both recorded a personal best for the season so far.

A mention for @therabbittest, who took advantage of @LDF not predicting to move off the bottom of the table

No big gaps anywhere in the second half of the table, there is nobody who cannot be caught by the person below them in a single game.

Happy predicting for Port Vale away.

• edited February 2023

After the Port Vale Away Game:

Port Vale are our best side for making attendances predictions. Three new personal best of the season so far at this game - namely  @bookertease@micra and @YorkExile, congratulations to all of them. They join six of us in the main table who had their personal best of the season so far for the Port Vale home game - @a40, @Erroll_Sims, @PJS, @Forest_Blue, @ValleyWanderer @Glenactico and @thecatwwfc. In addtion @peterparrotface sits in the occasional forecasts table with 9 predictions and a personal best of Port Vale at home. Strange things sometimes those statistics.

The top three of the table remain the same, so congratulations to me for staying at the top, but don't ask me how I did it.

Some other congratulations are due - to @SmiroludyBlue who was 16th two games ago after the Sheffields Weds game and now occupies 4th place, and well within reach of 3rd place. It continues to be very close - the equivalent of 3 points separating @NewburyWanderer in 3rd from @DJWYC14 in 12th.

Congratulations to @Twizz who moved up from 14th to 6th with one of the top predictions of the match. Mentions also for @bookertease, @BSE and @robin who were part of the group of five who all moved up the table to occupy places 4th to 8th.

A mention for @Erroll_Sims who moved up into the top ten.

@micra's form takes him up the table again, another prediction as close as his winning one this week and 8th place is within reach (if those inbetween are not close). Also continuing to climb the table is @thecatwwfc, having not made any predictions until the 10th match.

At the tail end of the table @LDF and @therabbittest swop places again.

Onto the Derby game.

• Looks like a two horse race from here! Congrats to you at leading your own competition, @railwaysteve - with all the work you put into this I am sure it would be a popular win, though @a40 is clearly a force to be reckoned with too.

• edited February 2023

@Shev / @a40 - 'Two point lead with 18 games to play - I do look forward to a close race to the end, thanks due to both of you.

Just as an illustration - @micra has a best 5 average of 44.8, - five good predictions over the remainder of the season gives him a score which can top the table.

• Not only have you retained top position, I do believe you have edged a little ahead too @railwaysteve Fine predicting good sir. I hope to regain my early season form to keep it interesting.

• I'd like to see an all time leaderboard after this season if at all possible, from the selfish motivation of seeing if anyone has beaten my average from a few years back. But on a less narcissistic note, the competition feels seasoned enough now to where it would be fun to see battles for the championship while also seeing where the leader is stacking up against prior scores. Maybe a top ten all time?

• It's a lovely idea @Shev. It does seem ages and ages that I have been doing these threads. However this will be only the third complete season. I had a look and your winning season had a final score of 34 and a bit. Will see what can be done!

• After the Derby home game:

I have been trying to concentrate on this for the last two days.

Pats on the back for myself and @a40 for staying in the top two places, and for @NewburyWanderer who closed the gap a little.

Congratulations are due to @Glenactico who was Forecaster of the Week for this game and jumped to 6th place from 17th - right across the closest part of the table. The other big climber was @Commoner up into the closest part of the table from 20th.

Now to try and work on the Accrington game!

• After the Accrington away game:

Lots of people with scores in the 100 to 200 range for this game so plenty of changes.

Top three remain the same again, as @NewburyWanderer inches closer every game.

@SmiroludyBlue moves up to fourth replacing Fleetwood away as a personal best for the season with Accrington away. Congratulations to @Commoner who in has lept from 19th place up to 6th over these last two matches.

Congratulations also to @PJS, @ForeverBlue and @Forest_Blue who all moved up five or more places.

The middle of the table remains exceedingly close - the equivalent of 2 points separately @Erroll_Sims in 18th from @Commoner in 6th. @Forest_Blue and @Twizz are only separated on alphabetical order

Now to try and concentrate on the Bolton game.

• Great work @railwaysteve, you still wear the crown!

• edited February 2023

After the Bolton home game:

Edged in black today for @ValleyWanderer, a friend to many on here and a fine forecaster. He passed away after this game: May he Rest in Peace.

I will take 24th position out of the table as a mark of respect.

The top of the table remains the same with neither of the top two registering a scoring score. Congratulations to @NewburyWanderer in 3rd who did, reached a sub one hundred best ten average and continued to cutting the gap to the leaders on a game by game basis - now the equivalent of 3 points clear of 4th and say 5 points from 2nd.

Congratulations also to those that moved upwards - @Forest_Blue, @wwfcblue and @MindlessDrugHoover.

I have not forgotten the outcomes for the Bolton game itself. I wanted to put this up first before Saturday.

• A fine tribute, @railwaysteve.

• My performance over the past month has been more Bristol Rovers than Wycombe Wanderers. From 4th down to 17th with no recorded points. Should never have had that buzz cut. On to the New Meadow (never too high never to low).

• After the Shrewsbury away game:

No position 24 this week or until the end of the season, as it belongs to @ValleyWanderer.

Top three failed to score this week. I am learning that the closer (lower) is your tenth best prediction the harder it is to better it. @SmiroludyBlue and @Commoner in 4th and 5th have halved the gap to @NewburyWanderer in third.

Particular congratulations this week are due to @DJWYC14, @Erroll_Sims and @micra.

Forecaster of the Week, @DJWYC14 climbs from 15th place to 8th to claim a top ten position. @Erroll_Sims climbs a similar distance from 18th place to 11th and now has a solid place inside the top half of the table.

@micra's recent good form continues and he is now within easy reach of the top part of the table. His form since Christmas has been the abolute converse of the form of the managerless ones up the road.@

The table is still tight, but not quite as condensed as it has been recently, but still approximately '3 points' between 7th and 18th.

Happy Predicting for the Exeter game to all.

• After the Exeter home game:

A game which we mostly underestimated the crowd. Forecaster of the Week for the game was @MindlessDrugHoover who makes the only leap up the table, up from 28th to 23rd. 24th place belongs to @ValleyWanderer.

At the top of the table, the top three remain immobile, but @Commoner and @SmiroludyBlue swap places. @ForeverBlue regains a place in the top ten. @Twizz zz and @wwfcblue are the others who are upwardly mobile.

I am working now on the Fleetwood game!

• After the Fleetwood home game:

The games have been coming like number 11 London buses and I am sorry I am playing catch up.

This game we were mostly close with the smallish cold Tuesday night home game attendance.

Congratualations to @PJS and to @BlueBoy who achieved new personal bests with this match.

The top four remain unchanged. However @Commoner and @bookertease both recorded good scores and only the equivalent of a point separates third from 7th. Herein lies a hint that where @PJS stands after the Burton game might well be worth a look.

Congratulations to @Glenactico, @Shev, @MindlessDrugHoover and again to @BlueBoy who all moved up at least 5 places in the table.

The table is not quite as closely packed as it was but there are several 'goal difference' patches -

The only gaps which look like more than 3 points at this stage - can't be caught in one game - are between @NewburyWanderer in 3rd and @a40 in 2nd and the one between @peterparrotface (who hasn't been predicting lately) and the rest of the table.

Working on the Burton game this afternoon. Please watch out for the Barnsley thread. Looks like the Bristol Game won't have a big impact on this table as a surprising large number of Rovers fans turned up to watch our fireworks.

• After the Burton Away game:

A game changing game - it least on in this competition! The top three failed to register a scoring score, in my case for about the nth game in a row, but no less than eight forecasters register their best prediction of the season so far. Also we now have an absolutely spot on prediction - a first for this season - many congratulations to @PJS - I reckon too that it is a white blackbird event to a improve a personal best prediction for two matches in a row in the second half of the season.

Congratulations to all those who now have Burton away as their own best prediction - namely @PJS, @SmiroludyBlue, @Shev, @DJWYC14, @perfidious_albion, @thecatwwfc, @thedieharder and @Will_i_ams.

Congratulations to @Glenactico, the new occupier of 3rd place and the only player to move 5 or more places, and for a new sub 100 average score.

Congratulations for sub 100 scores also to @bookertease, @PJS, @SmiroludyBlue and @Commoner.#

Congratulations to anyone who managed to hold onto their existing place in the turmoil.

Commiserations to @NewburyWanderer, and to @Forest_Blue who have managed to demonstrate just how close large portions of this table are. It remains close. @NewburyWanderer can return to third and @Forest_Blue and all those around him are within reach of the top ten. @a40 in second is now almost, but not quite catchable in a single game.

There is a strange statistical situation in 31st and 32nd places, @Will_i_ams and @thedieharder reversed places despite both recording personal best prediction scores of 35 for the Burton game. @thedieharder had the slightly higher 10th best prediction to discard.

I will now be working on the Bristol Rovers game, although I don't expect many alterations to this table when the results are processed. Far more so called Gasheads turned up to admire our teams silky skills than we all anticipated.

• After the Bristol Rovers away Match:

No change - there were no scoring predictions and the table remained the same except for some additions to the predictions made column.

After the Barnsley home Match:

Again no changes with no scoring predictions. Latest table below with the updates to the predictions made column.

Happy predicting to all for the last nine regular season games.

• edited March 2023

@railwaysteve nice one Railsy, my guess was 2080 out - must be one of the worst in the history of the competition?

• edited March 2023

Third week in a row we’ve been miles out. Possibly only @BSE with a scoring prediction this week. 👏🏻