Skip to content

22 / 23 Season Attendance Prediction Competition

edited September 6 in Football

😀

and it continues - apologies to @Will_i_ams because you appear twice:

and apologies to @floyd for appearing twice.

Oh dear. I didn't leave any space to introduce an introduction above the table. No worries I think it is mostly self explanatory.

The competition is basically the same as last season. At the end of the season the winner will be the person with the lowest score which will be the average of the best ten forecasts that they have made.

Scores this week are the average of the best four forecasts that each player has made for the seven games up to this point.

The 'Best' column has the amount by which your closest prediction so far missed the actual attendance and the PB Match has the game when this happened.

The '4th Best column' has your worst prediction which is good enough to be included in your average - in other words the score you need to better to improve your average. For the Port Vale game this is the 4th best prediction, but this will change every other game until it reaches 10th best.

The movement column will be populated with arrows or emojis from the Port Vale game onwards. You can help me decide in the poll. If it is to be emojis I reserved the right to indulge my sense of humour on occasions and so there might not be complete consistency between weeks.

The line coloured like water company discharge separates those who have made sufficient predictions to work out a best 4 average and those who are perhaps working towards that number. Each person's actual number of forecasts is shown in the last column.

After all that congratulations to @bookertease who leads the competition at moment. Good work because it has been a tough start to the season.

Arrows or Emojis
  1. What is the best sort of symbol in the 'movement' column of these tables16 votes
    1. Arrows - like last season
      50.00%
    2. Emojis - somewhat like this  😊  😕  😂 
      50.00%

Comments

• Hi @railwaysteve - thanks for organising and running this again, it is fun albeit frustrating at times; if only the right number of people would turn up at each game in line with my forecast...

• Some very impressive predicting from the Top 3.

• I won this competition the first season but since then I evidently would not be able to guess the attendance of a game played behind closed doors...

• Good morning @railwaysteve .

I use emojis quite a lot in texts and emails but it seems they are open to potentially embarrassing misinterpretation as @Malone pointed out to me recently. Indeed, I thought your third emoji represented tears of laughter but as you’ve got a smiling face for upward movement, I’m guessing I’ve got that wrong! 🙄

• Ok - Next week I will try emojis - the voting was quite close.

Here is the Match 8 Update - Accrington at home.

Congratulations to new Leaderboard leader @a40 whose score of 159 was good enough to knock 30 or so off the best 4 average.

Lots of movement in this early table - great upward jumps in the top half by @Manboobs, @SmiroludyBlue, @Erroll_Sims and @wwfcblue, who makes it into the top half.

In the aspiring to the top half zone, there were decisive moves in that direction by @Wendoverman, @Shev, @Glenactico - who landed the ace prediction this week, and @YorkExile.

Good luck to all predicting for the Derby game. Best 5 predictions will count after this game so there might be changes even if Rooney comes back and everyone is thousands out.

• Oh my giddy aunt, I’m sure this won’t last long!

• Match 9 - Derby away - Update

Despite the scepticism of a previous post @a40 remains at the top of the Leaderboard. Congratulations are due.

For Derby County there is no black or white, only shades of grey.

Their crowd proved difficult to predict and we all overestimated. Very few were close enough to make a significant difference to scores and consequently the order in the top half of the table remains the same.

@Forest_Blue, perhaps because of a proper locally based understanding of the nature of Derby crowds was able to be close enough for his score to significantly affect an average and so climbs two places.

A special mention for @therabbittest who made a 4th prediction of the season and so appears in the table for the first time. @therabbittest is also the only possessor of 'Derby (away)' as a personal best prediction so far. The third column shows each persons closest prediction and the fourth column shows in which game that was made.

The 5th column at the moment shows your current 5th best prediction which will count for the first time after the Sheffield Wednesday game.

The 6th column has the Score - this week the average of your best 4 predictions.

The 7th column still does not have emojis, the modernisation is proving more complicated than I first thought to automate.

The 8th and final colum has the number of games predicted so far this season. I would encourage all to forecast the attendance for the Sheffield Wednesday game, especially those who have four or five predictions so far.

Happy predicting.

• After the Sheffield Wednesday - 'why do we play in front of 20,000 every week' game.

@a40 continues to lead the Leaderboard - 3 games in a row and another difficult to predict fixture against Plymouth at home coming up - is the peak unassailable? Again congratulations to @a40.

The top four remain unchanged despite the "Score" changing from average of 4 best to average of 5 best. @Twizz was the big mover of the week after recording the best prediction for the Sheffield Weds game [out by 177] and an own 4th best prediction so far.

The big upwards leap by @PJS was because of a very reasonable 5th best score for this stage of the season.

@Will_i_ams was a substantial mover in the bottom half of the Leaderboard with the 3rd best forecast for the game at Hillsborough and @Commoner made a decisive move away from the relegation zone the 2nd best prediction of the day.

A message for @thedieharder, @EJN and @therabbittest: a prediction within a hundred for the Plymouth game would lift your "score" by something in the approximate 350 - 500 range - think of it as a free hit.

Happy predicting all. I have yet to have solved the emoji problem, apologies for huckstering them.

• Didn’t submit this week as in a different time zone and screwed up, still went up the chart, back in the top ten. Result 😀