Skip to content

Rob Couhig pre-match Q&A tonight

Comments

• You could be arguing it for the rest of your life.

If people truly can't understand why we don't publicise injury news, they're best left alone.

• In a parallel universe where Gaz gave precise and exact injury updates and fans criticised him for giving away an advantage to the opposition, glasshalffull would be arguing with them, defending the manager, and Malone would be sycophantically backing him up

• I am still waiting for those who think it’s wrong to withhold injury news to give a sensible explanation of why they think that way. The only serious, long term injury we have suffered in the last 12 months was Freeman’s ACL and from memory that was announced as soon as the extent of his injury was confirmed. I see ReturntoSenda is still insisting that Klopp gives details of Liverpool’s injuries and expected recovery times despite the link he provided proving the exact opposite.

• He provides details for Matip, Kelleher and AOC, and describes others as "getting closer" etc - which is more than we ever seem to get.

• edited August 2022

With any Premier League player currently injured, I reckon you'd be able to find out what their injury is and roughly how long they're out within seconds via a quick google.

• With respect @ReturnToSenda Ainsworth made it very clear this week that until he leaves the club (which obviously none of us want), this policy is not going to change. Is it worth the energy getting so upset about?

• You still haven’t answered my question: do you think it would have helped Charlton to prepare for the game if they had known in advance that neither Taf nor Vokes would be playing?

• This isn't taking that much energy! I know it won't change, but that doesn't make it any less curious. Oh well.

• Pretty sure Gaz often says a player is "close".

Then they're out for a few weeks more!

• edited August 2022

Sam Vokes is our best player. It's weird to me that fans wouldn't want to know what his injury is and when he's likely to be back.

Don't forget of course that glasshalffull will already know, he's just telling us we shouldn't want to

• I mean I’d like to know, but I’d rather opposition teams didn’t know more. It must genuinely make a huge difference to plans on how to play against us if they know there is no chance they might be facing Vokes.

• Pretty sure that those who wish to know, (within the pro game), will know pretty much any way. It is a small world at pro level.

• You say this, but surely that'd take a leak from the players or staff?

With the seriousness Gaz holds his information, surely he'd be big on stopping such leaks?

You get the feeling Tafa only revealed the injury on his youtube the other day as he knew he was back next game.

• Glad I came in here.

• I think Gaz Has always made his policy regarding injuries known and certainly reinforced that on Wednesday night.

it makes perfect sense Imo

also he’s our manager and he’s paid to manage which is what he’s doing.

When the next manager comes along they may have a different policy so be it.

• I still haven't seen a compelling arguememt for why supporters should have a right to know the extent of a players injury, other than it bugs the hell out of them not knowing something.

Just because some clubs give this information away doesn't mean anything.

Do those wanting the information really not believe GA when he says he believes it's a competitive advantage to withhold it.

It doesn't matter what the truth is, even if you could prove it - and I'm not sure you can. What should matter to supporters is that GA believe his approach is correct.

That's good enough for me.

• Wrong again. I have no idea when Vokes will be back and I am happy that our next opponents are also in the dark.

• You don't know what his injury is?

• Dreadful thread, this.

• Of course we'd all like to know when he's likely to be back. If other clubs are up front about players' injuries that's up to them. But it seems blindingly obvious why Ainsworth prefers to be coy. And I'm more than happy to be kept in the dark if it gives us a marginal gain, which I think it does.

• The state of the last two pages of this thread. All it’s missing is someone ending their post ‘FACT’.

Time for a sticky thread ‘Ainsworth’s (lack of) injury news’. Easy to avoid for those of us who accept the decision.

• edited August 2022

It’s all this modern lark. Kids these days grow up being able to find out everything about anything with a blur of fingers on a tiny screen and get offended when they are denied knowledge (or gossip).

For those of us who grew up having t’walk 30 miles t’paper shop to find out even the result of yesterday’’s game, I think we are a little more chilled.

Seriously though this argument has been done to death. As fans we obviously would like to know about injuries. As manager GA clearly thinks it is in his interests not to publicise any information.

RC: “Gareth. The guys and girls on the Gasroom are complaining you won’t tell them about Vokes knee-caps being pulverised. Why? Shouldn’t we keep the fans happy and informed?”

GA: “Well boss, I could do, but I think it may help our future opponents and could cost us a shot at promotion and making lots of money.”

RC: “Keep it up, Gareth..”

• edited August 2022

Not really, no. They'll have had an idea of how we would set up based on the previous game but also will have prepared for that and the possibility of facing Taf and Vokes. And that's assuming they didn't already know the details of our injury situation through inside info.

• I wouldn't say the policy implies contempt towards fans, but it does feel a bit disrespectful. Why can't he bring himself to give a basic update on Curtis Thompson, whose been out for an eternity and none of us have a clue if and when we'll ever see him again?

• Please. At the moment every single thread becomes “we have a right to know” thread. If you could all just gather nicely in one “we pay your wages” thread it would massively improve the level of discourse on the rest of the board.

• It's just a bit small time isn't it?

On the one hand we're not little Wycombe anymore and we've got the best squad we've ever had, but on the other hand wow betide us if Shrewsbury find out Vokes won't be playing or they'll beat us by more than one goal

I can't see any evidence that it helps us at all. Which results do people think would have been different if there had been an update saying, for example, Vokes has got "x" injury and will probably be out for about "y" weeks?