Skip to content

Rob Couhig pre-match Q&A tonight

Comments

• The impression I got is that the road will be one way towards Adams Park before the match and one way away from it after kickoff.

• My message to Derby fans is blame the cheat not the cheated, the agreement was made and it’s okay to move on . They won’t of course but it has to be said.

I truly believe that the people who used to run DCFC thought we would complain a little bit and then just go away, unfortunately for them and fortunately for us our majority share holder isn’t (in that way) like the rest of us.

My advice to Rob is make sure the home game is Cat C, keep a low profile for both games and we have plenty of replacement seats oh and thank you.

• I am sometimes torn between hating the fact RC does not care how he comes across to the wider footballing world, to loving the fact RC does not care how he comes across to the wider footballing world. In this case, the fact he constructed a giant middle finger outside Pride Park and fought tooth and nail for a smaller club that would be expected to simply know it's place and go away, is quite delicious.

• @Malone the problem with exit down Hillbottom is that there are pedestrians, so they have to hold the car park for 45 mins. Top Field exit (as I have unofficially named it) means instant 90 mins +stoppages departure - remember, never leave early.

• Yep, that's a good point.

I suppose it's easy to forget it's the letting the walkers get away that delays things the most, not the 300 or so cars needing to get out 1 by 1 out of the narrow exit.

And I suppose if you have a need to drive the Hillbottom Road way out, simply don't park in the upper carpark, or have your usual wait.

Assuming this new road is quite a small new part, which interconnects with the many roads leading to West Wycombe anyway, then how and do they have the legal power to stop any cars going the other direction?

Or are those roads generally the sole use of a tiny handful of residents, which are mostly the Dashwood clan and staff?

• Maybe remind them they aren't skint anymore, they have a rich owner and players most of the division they are in couldn't afford. The only thing holding them back now are a few minor transfer and reporting conditions that were applied in return for being forgiven for years of diddling tax.

• Will be a bit like the current parking notices, from the roundabout, as long as they line any new road and its approach with signs saying you won't be admitted at certain times there's nothing to be gained from driving up it.

• edited August 2022

Nothing to be gained from it, but plenty of harm to cause doing it.

We still see dimwits almost every week driving up Hillbottom post games.

They did trial a little period of sealing off access from the roundabout, but that seems to have stopped again.

• It is little short of a miracle that there's never (I don't think?) been a serious incident on Hillbottom Road after a game.

• If the road was exit only, they could probably divide it in two and have a pedestrian lane and a vehicle lane?

• There have definitely been times when Hillbottom Road has been one way after the game, at least to the round about.

• Closest we might have got might have been Barry Fry and Co trying to make a quick exit having cried off the game in the snow. Didn't take too kindly to a few Chairboys slowing their exit in the erm treacherous conditions

• Ooh, that reminds me: our friend Swanny will be at Adams Park soon!

• If the proposed route from the car top car park is a private road, until it reaches the existing road network, then no problem with having it one way. That might also help with the park and ride in West Wycombe (although empty buses would need a way to go against the flow - presumably Hill bottom Road?).

It's true we did used to have 2x lines of cars exiting down Hillbottom until "they" decided we couldn't do it anymore. I don't think we used to have to wait for pedestrians to clear the area either.

• No wonder they shut down the 2 lane same direction situation.

While you'll have ambulance and medical staff at the ground for every game, you'd basically be gambling on there not being any major emergency for a certain time window every game.

Imagine a fire at the ground or suchlike and zero chance of fire engine etc getting in.

It's awkward enough with single lanes at times with massive trailers illegally parking on double yellows.

• You say zero chance, but I'd back the fire engine against the pedestrians.

• I don't disagree with what you say, but there never were any parked trucks on the double yellows. Plus on the rare occasions an ambulance or other vehicle used to be driving up towards AP the cars had to get out of the f**king way.

The pedestrians mostly used to walk on the pavement too.

I think it all changed when someone got killed at a football match by a reversing coach/bus somewhere. Suddenly "they" realised it was only by luck that it hadn't happened before or with more serious consequences.

• Suddenly I feel old thinking about how much easier it used to be back in the good old days!

• I don't understand why the police don't close Hillbottom Road on a matchday. The amount of idiots (many taxi's) trying to force their way up that road after the game is stupid. The club have been VERY lucky that none of the supporters have been injuried by an impatient driver trying to force their way through the crowd after a match....

• edited August 2022

@Twizz Leave home 2.30, park up in Suffield Road 2.45, in the ‘graind’ Before Delaney led the team out at 2.50, few minutes warm up kicking balls to each other while the teams were read out, kick off (with a plain white ball) at 3pm on the dot. Wycombe 1-0 up by ten past...

• @LeedsBlue we used to park on Wendover Street - outside Grandma's house - but otherwise that's pretty spot on.

Bacon rolls and a cup of Bovril from the tea bar on a winter's afternoon as we watched Bodger score the usual couple of goals.

• Yes @LeedsBlue, I wonder why Football Matches now seem to KO at 15:03 or so and never 15:00 on the dot?

• How do you do that without denying access to the businesses there? Ideally you'd want to control travel between the ground and the hour glass but it's not practical and would take a fair bit of staffing to police and allow the people in that need to get in. For low risk games I'm fairly sure the police will be otherwise engaged elsewhere.

• The trailers parked on double yellow down Hillbottom are at best illegal at worst a serious accident waiting to happen. They feel like an act of defiance by business in the industrial park who resent the club’s proximity. The club should leverage its place in the community (and the legal obligation of the authorities to enforce the law) to get the police to get rid of them permanently.

The problem with resolving the issues as raised in this thread above is that it is a highway and so closing it or making it one way are way beyond the remit of the club itself.

Re the alternative way out proposal, as a ‘temporary road’ limited to probably 30 x 2 hours per year use then highway controls are not an issue. Probably it will be more as the sort of plastic tracks laid at festivals only on a better substrate, just needs his lordship to play ball (although more likely to be a egg chucker than doyen of the round ball game).

• Derby - Just another biggish club in League One. Plenty of other bigger clubs have been here and lower. They are deservedly here but I’m glad they did not go under, wouldn’t wish that on anyone.

They will get back to the Championship where they belong next year or in a few years. They already have a bigger wage budget than all but two of the other clubs in League 1.

Im looking forward to having a lot more players back from injury on Sep 17th and giving them a lesson on the pitch. Should be interesting to see how they get on today

• Back to the debate around injury news, Liverpool have this on their website: https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/liverpools-injury-list-suspensions-and-availability

If one of the best teams in the world is that transparent about injuries, there's no excuse imo.

• Couldn't agree more

Gaz seemed really annoyed by the question the other night though

• If I was a manager of an opposition team I wouldn't need to look much further than our set-piece defending to get an advantage. Marginal gains on knowing if TJ is injured or not is kind of irrelevant when we can't mark for sh1t at corners, free kicks, throw ins etc.

Why fans can't be placated with a simple 'we won't see player x for a few weeks yet' I have no idea. But it seems to have become a big deal for Gaz and therefore is getting a big deal for fans.

• All that article proves is how vague managers are when it comes to injury news. Klopp uses phrases like ‘not too far away’, ‘out for a while’, ‘getting closer’, ‘not training with us’ etc. How is that being transparent about injuries?