Skip to content

Stockdale

Comments

• I reckon that Tony Adams was the worst manager that we ever appointed. The risk of hiring someone with little / no experience is that they can destroy a team and it's promising players. However, we have hired some good unheard-of managers who have had some success at the club like Sanchez, Gorman, Ainsworth, Gregory, O'Neil just to name a few.

• Surely Alan Smith was the worst manager we've had as he dismantled the brilliant side that Martin O'Neil built then followed by Adams who was away with the fairies.

• Smith was the absolute worst, but did have the almost impossible job of following a legend.

Taking credit for the "Youth system", telling players early on to forget O Neill's way of doing things, dreadful expensive signings, long ball football, dismissing favourites like Garner, Hyde, Howard etc and "genuinely thinking I was doing a good job" having taken a team just missing out on the play offs due to a league restructure down to mid table, just being a few of his lowlights.

The most disheveled ever appearance from a manager on an end of season video, yet oddly thinking Wycombe fans didn't like him as he was a "flash" Londoner.

A real grim time to be a fan.

Adams and Smillie the next worst managers, for very different reasons.

• I agree that Adams was the worst appointment. Sm*th was the worst manager though in my view. When he replaced MO’N I thought it was a good, ambitious move by the club. I didn’t predict that he was a complete dickhead (in my opinion)

• This Smith guy does sound like a complete tool, he was just before my time. Smillie is the first manager that I fully remember and the dark times he brought

• edited August 2022

Smillie was a lovely guy but probably didn't have the budget, and definitely didn't have enough management ability either from what he showed here.

But Smith was ex premier league so we expected big things, and just got really average things.

I just remembered another infuriating thing he said along the lines of

"Someone close to the running of the club told me it'd be a miracle for us not to get relegated this year".

Just after finishing 6th with MON.

• Someone close to the running of the club told me it'd be a miracle for us not to get relegated this year".

Just after finishing 6th with MON.'

I do not think @Wanderers82 was that old...so it had to have been @trevor @Malone

• I heard a story that Smith tried to play Billy Big Bits with the players boasting that he was the manager that took Crystal Palace to the Premier League. Garner commented, "And took them back down again." That was what got Garner shipped out of the door.

Smith inherited a good side and could wit to dismantle it. The trouble was he couldn't create one as good, or better.

• edited August 2022

Yes, I remember quoting that anecdote.

I think what Simon Garner sneered was “yeah, and took ‘em straight back down again “.

”….. couldn’t wait to dismantle it.” ?

• I'd say Smith was the worst by some distance. As bad as Adams was, and he is probably 2nd worst, you have to remember some of the players he bought into the club who have turned out fan favourites and legends .. just a shame he couldn't manage them and it took someone else to bring them on !

• edited August 2022

I think Tony Adams has whatever the opposite of impostor syndrome is.

• He was the Great Pretender.

• I'm glad I wasn't the only one that heard that story, and yes, I think you are correct about Garner's quote.

You are also correct about 'couldn't wait to dismantle it'.

Fingers (and brain) not working well today.

• Remember that array of loanee keepers we had with the Hyde situation.

Yes some were good like Ben Roberts, but it was the attitude of there's loads of keepers out there, why are you so special Hydey.

At that point we still had that special atmosphere of knowing and loving the players who'd brought us up from non league, and it was like a real shock of welcome to real life that a manager could come in and just disregard favourites so easily.

• Stuart Roberts signing was a big coup at the time wanted by lots of other clubs, Swansea wanted to keep him but had no money, Wales U-21 I think, looked exciting enough but then kept getting dropped for players who didn't do any better. Difficult to tell how much was him not settling or bad management.

Adams was too raw and a bit odd, he didn't bring an assistant and didn't want to keep Gorman around, he thought all the players weren't up to it or weren't the right types so he released a load of them to go on to play well for other clubs and seemed to have no idea how to replace them. He did make one or two good signings but just wasn't a good manager as he has shown a few times since.

Sm*th was a whole different story, did ok with Palace at times and mentors the current England manager, but supremely arrogant and wanted everything his own way l, smashed up O'Neill's team like Souness did at Liverpool before slagging off anyone who disagreed. Sanchez was a right grouch for the last few months when he must have known it was finishing and things weren't working out, Sm*th seemed to have this from day one despite only ever making things worse and I'd struggle to name a redeeming feature.

Southgate did a book years ago incidentally with Andy Woodman who came through the youth team at the same time. Southgate basically said he was a hard taskmaster but if he did ok he looked after him, Woodman said he was an arse who ruined his career and stopped him getting a move towards the end. Can't keep everyone happy.

• edited August 2022

I'm sure Roberts was valued a lot higher than the 100k we got him for, and you're spot on it was an exciting signing.

Combined with Currie, it promised a move to a different style of football than the almost dogs of war style we'd been with 3 hard working centre mids in the cup run.

Sanchez seemed not to be a guy liked by the football scene. I'm sure that hurt us in the transfer market, as our dealings seemed to be limited to Brentford/Wimbledon type contacts or people Terry Gibson knew.

Once Devine and Bates were finished, in effect Sanchez was I think, as we were never the same team.

I'm sure I remember that Gorman didn't actually want to be a Number 2 under Adams, and I don't blame him, hence him coming back in later as Number 1. I'm sure that wasn't Adams decision himself?

Slightly before my time, but I thought Liverpool's top boys were waning, and needed replacements, rather than Souness especially ruining a winning formula. They'd won the league in 90, but that was their end game almost? He did an undeniable dreadful job though.

Souness is an intriguing character , looks incredible for 69 years old, and fans say how biased he is for Liverpool, but from what i've read, I'm not sure he's one of these guys who lives on their past. His house has no signs he was a player for instance, and he's viewed in a bad light by a lot of their fans for his Sun interviews and suchlike.

He reminds me a little of Mark Hughes, who was a great Man Utd player over 2 spells, yet seemingly has zero affection for them afterwards, unlike most ex United old boys, or in fact most top club old boys.

I'm trying to think of what Smith did that was good.

Bringing in Paul McCarthy probably the one thing that comes to mind?

There were a few smashfest results under him too. Battering Bradford home and away, unlocking De Souza's potential, that we'd seen a glimpse of under MON before injury ruined it.

But essentially a bleak underwhelming spell, and taking Terry Evans off in that 6-3 thrashing at Peterborough, a fitting end to his time.

• Not sure how you can forget about Stuart Roberts from that 2003 team posted, but remember whoever A.Thomson is in Defence? I don't recognise the name at all, presume Vinnicombe was injured that day.

• Andy Thomson.

I remember we played Bristol Rovers one season and he and his centre back partner looked superb.

Unfortunately for us Mr Thompson was fairly woeful/average at best, and not one to join our pantheon of superb centre backs over the years.

Not the Duberry / Westwood / Oliver rock bottom, but not far above.

• I think he played well under Gorman , can't remember who with, but was in and out under Adams. Was fairly sure it was Adams decision to move Gorman on, could be wrong.

• Good memory @Malone

http://www.chairboys.co.uk/onthenet/news0304/nov2003.htm

GORMAN ON DEPARTURE

(Monday 17th November 2003)

John Gorman has dismissed speculation that he stood down from his position at Wycombe in order to take up another assistant role with Glenn Hoddle. Speaking to BBC Radio 5 on Monday evening, Gorman explained that he decided to go as he was finding it awkward stepping back down to coach following the arrival of Tony Adams. He also suggested that his wage would be better invested in the playing side. The Club have still to elaborate on the new role for current assistant Terry Gibson.

• John Gorman is a friend of mine and the above story is true.

• Chris Westwood was good, wasn’t he?

• I think it’s noteworthy that Nikki Bull doesn’t make your top 5.

He was sensational during our 2010/11 promotion season and pulled off some remarkable saves.

• You are correct, I left out Nikki Bull and he was a good keeper but those named I believe were better.

Also, didn't he leave Wycombe under a cloud? Wiki says it was Mutual Consent and then took 2yrs out of game & I can't remember what went down

• Not for us. Though it's about opinions.

Good compared to Oliver and Duberry I could possibly give you.

I'll always remember our thrashing away at Norwich. They just walked one goal in past Westwood and others.

• No. From a friend who knows, he didn’t leave Wycombe under a cloud at all.

• I always liked Westwood though he definitely wasn’t the fastest.

I’d be tempted to add Max Müller to your list.

• I thought Allsop was super in our season in the Championship and under-rated, possibly due to his introverted and perhaps a bit awkward personality. Reading Close Quarters and other snippets I got the impression he perhaps didn't fit in the team so well, or at least it didn't work with both him a Stocko. But now we have neither of them!

Martin Taylor was my favourite of all time. We used to love the 'Taylor for England' chants. Talking of his injury, I thought he also ended up with one leg longer than the other?

Talking of good goalkeeper performances, Scott Brown when we won away at Luton stuck in my mind.

• Talking of shite centre backs I give you… MARK FORAN.