Skip to content

Stockdale

Comments

• Stockdale taking a fair amount of criticism on Owls forum, and in particular his weight and agility, not a happy bunch….

• Me too. Was great to hear the cheers whenever he had to casually stroll toward a Burton shot and pick it up. Would have been great to hear a chant of "Wycombe's number one".

• There will plenty of opportunities for that over the next few weeks…

• edited August 2022

I can (sort of) understand putting the boot into a new player after ten dismal games or so...but criticising Stockdale, a local lad who got to the playoffs last season, after only one game is truly dim.

• I don't remember many Wycombe fans suggesting Stockdale had lost his edge after that night in Milton Keynes!

• Exactly! All of two games ago

• I said that as IMHO he was a Championship quality 'keeper that signed for us probably knowing he was #2. He said at various times how grateful he was to Wycombe for giving him back his love of the game so there was for sure that side of the story. But I recall GA doing an interview where he said he had signed a 'keeper and offered him £1800 a week much to the player's shock. And as we didn't sign any other 'keeper at that time I've always assumed it was him. Going from £30k a week to £1800 a week and commuting from ooop North is not a decision he made based on finances. I've always felt he could have done better and no doubt has at Sheff Wednesday. He owes us nothing, we owe him respect and love. A great player for us, a great person for us.

• Is it me or are we trying to apologise for criticisms we have not made?

Stockdale was great for us last season and even then he probably had a couple of dodgy games...

• You might want to read back, am sure it was chasharps saying that.

Then oddly said he'd have him back on loan!

• I did consider joking about having Ryan Alsopp back on loan until I discovered he’s an ever-present for Cardiff.

• Isn't anyone who's played an ever-present at this stage of the season?

• No, I don’t want to read back @Malone. You’ve always been a man of your word.

But I did stumble across @NiceCarrots’ comment about me boring for England. He wasn’t rude to me a good few years ago when he collected my Woodland Lounge sub so I guess he was having an ‘off’ day.

As you know, I’m a fussy b*****d when it comes to getting players’ names wrong or referring to people with disrespectful versions of their names.

• On the subject of Cardiff goalkeepers, they released Alex Smithies at the end of last season.

So far, he’s not got fixed up. He was on trial with Bournemouth last week no doubt trying to get a cushy gig (salary wise) as second or third choice at a PL club but they let him go over the weekend.

Might be an option if the Bishop deal doesn’t come together. Although he might need to lower his salary expectations as David Stockdale clearly did.

• We (as a generalisation) seemed to rate Stockdale way above Allsop. Interesting to see that he is comfortably plying his trade in the Championship with generally rave reviews.

That observation is in no way intended to dis Stockdale, who I rate highly as both a character and footballer but offered as a comment on the fickle and collective view of football fans who comment on forums.

(Obviously excluding @aloysius )

• Don’t ever change @micra. You are a constant delight on here and it honestly wouldn’t be the same without you.

• Tbf I mostly swam with the tide on the great Allsop Vs Stockdale debate of yesteryear. Someone must have coached Ryan into coming off his line since his days chez Wycombe.

• edited August 2022

I liked Allsopp. I did not think he was as bad as he was considered by some on here, but I realise other opinions are available. Goalkeeper is a hideous position, I think. Had Tyla made his debut and kept a clean sheet behind Taffs, Stewart, JJ and Grimmer, no doubt post-match it would be because he was behind a good defence, if he had conceded behind those four it would be because he is crap. As it was he kept a clean sheet behind a makeshift defence that gave some posters (me included when I saw the team sheet) kittens...but had he conceded, no doubt it would have been because he was crap.

• edited August 2022

Pretty much. As it was, we came out of that game having little more idea about his ability than we did before we went into it (other than that his kicking is erratic, but I guess that's to be expected to a certain extent at this stage).

• If that shot late on that flew past the top corner had been a little more accurate we might have got a taster.

But as it was, it would have been quite difficult to concede on Saturday, with possibly just the one (pearoller) shot on goal?

• There were moments in Saturday's game where I felt like that makeshift defence were really going the extra mile to make sure Tyla had a clean sheet on his debut. Good lads.

• Here's hoping he keeps a clean sheet after making 27 saves against Bolton...

• Goalkeeper is such an important position. No one imho can beat Martin Taylor, he was just superb and reminded me a lot of Gordon Banks. To me he was better than Paul Hyde and I suspect Taylor would be many fans favourite, at least the older fans amongst us !

• Technically it was hard to fault Allsop. He made some stunning saves. Even when we got drubbed by Brentford he was superb. But he never seemed to command his defence. Stockdale (like all good 'keepers) seem to create a forcefield around themselves where players don't want to enter. He just seemed a huge personality when in the team and Ryan did not. The MK game summed him up. The more they threw at him the bigger he got. The bigger he got the more confident the players became (if not the fans). Martin Taylor and Paul Hyde were the same. Slightly mental too which meant players wanted to keep their distance. I'm recalling Hydey poking a player in the eye pretending he was pointing to his defenders.

Finally for Stockdale the Bristol City goal was one of the season highlights.

I'm hoping all this pro Stockdale stuff leads to a good reception on his return and no sh1t by the way. Its a pre-emptive strike on the idiots.

• edited August 2022

In all the (about 42) years I've been supporting Wycombe, no one comes close to Martin Taylor as far as I'm concerned

• Heaton was probably the only keeper we've had with more class. Only a loaner of course.

• Stockdale did excel with how he commanded his area, though there is an argument Allsop was a better pure shot-stopper for us. Stocko also has an outgoing, effervescent personality which puts the more phlegmatic Rocky at a disadvantage with how we view him. Personally, I think Rocky deserves to be a borderline legend for the Close Quarters season, the Oxford final and being our Championship keeper with the most appearances to date. I love Stocko too, of course.

• I feel the same. I remember being gobsmacked that someone with his pedigree had been persuaded to join little old Wycombe. I had the same feeling back in the early ‘fifties when Danny Wiltshire joined Maidstone United. Suddenly we had a continental style goalkeeper who actually dived horizontally and leapt skywards to tip the ball over the bar. It was magical. He had a brother who had one leg noticeably shorter than the other. He played in goal for, I think, Slough Town.

• Those are very kind words @bookertease. I’m either blushing or having one of me hot flushes.

• Was a pleasure standing behind Martin Taylor's goal. Pulled off remarkable saves and took no crap from anyone.